The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
This is terrible. Every time the phone rings I jump up and sprint to it. It would actually be quite funny if I wasn't so worked up about the whole situation!
Last year, calls came at various times, including 8pm in the evening and over the weekend. Don't get too stressed about it, the college are committed to contacting you. They don't give up your offer or interview because they can't get through the first time. They're obliged to do all they can and they're (nearly) as interested in taking you as you are to go. :wink:
grumballcake
Last year, calls came at various times, including 8pm in the evening and over the weekend. Don't get too stressed about it, the college are committed to contacting you. They don't give up your offer or interview because they can't get through the first time. They're obliged to do all they can and they're (nearly) as interested in taking you as you are to go. :wink:

Thankyou very much. The next 50 odd hours should be fun then :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Just one final, rather sad question: When should we abandon hope as it were?

I need a definitive date where I can give up hope and bottle on with some much needed revision to make my still bloomin' high imperial offer.

Thankyou
Reply 183
im actually avoiding answering the phone - (let someone else get it!), partly to stop me panicing, and partly so i dont embarass myself by answering strangely.
Reply 184
Got another interview from Clare College on the 12th:confused: , for philosophy. Any other philosophers getting re-interviewed?
Reply 185
Hmmm, i think the suspense is going to kill me. I think i'm just going to assume that i've been rejected and then if i get a phone call it will be a pleasant surprise. I am starting to see why other universities give offers as soon as possible though, my York offer is looking more attractive the longer i have to wait.
WhatAboutWinston?
When should we abandon hope as it were?

I need a definitive date where I can give up hope and bottle on with some much needed revision to make my still bloomin' high imperial offer.
Those of a weak disposition should not open the spoiler.

Spoiler

Nothing you can do this weekend will affect this year's Cambridge outcome. However, it could affect your grades and meeting offers for other universities and it will also affect your chances if you decide to re-apply next year.

So my advice would be to put the Pool out of your mind and do normal things. Revision is normal for you guys, so bury yourself in answering past papers. If you do them as timed exercises you can keep your mind off Cambridge for hours at a time.
danshutt
Got another interview from Clare College on the 12th:confused: , for philosophy. Any other philosophers getting re-interviewed?

congrats, although i'm sure another interview is no fun, you can start preparing...
Reply 188
Grumballcake, how come your like a Pooling system Guru? Were you ever involved with it?
Reply 189
I've just been given an interview, for New Hall. I thought I would dread another interview but I am actually excited!! Just pleased to have been pulled out of the pool even if I don't get an offer.
Reply 190
mousy
I've just been given an interview, for New Hall. I thought I would dread another interview but I am actually excited!! Just pleased to have been pulled out of the pool even if I don't get an offer.

me too! just got the phone call, interview 11ish next friday (12th). she said she would send an email with details later.
Reply 191
I am officially going to ignore this thread till either sometime next week or i get an offer/interview. :smile:
Reply 192
Congratulations (or commiserations -- depending on your viewpoint on them) on having another interview!

I am now going to TRYtryTRY to finish my Geography coursework.
Wow I feel like such a reject, getting no phonecalls :frown:

This stuff is seriously heartbreaking.

Or at least very stressful... Doesnt help that my broadband is broken so to go online i have to unplug the phone lol.
Really confused:

If you're called for interview by another college...
1) Does this definitely mean that the college you originally applied to has no further interest in you?
2) Is there any chance at all of being phoned again by a second college for reinterview? So if you don't get another call on the same day, is that it, or would the pool dates still apply?
3) Then is there absolutely no chance of being made an offer without interview?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
firestone
1) Does this definitely mean that the college you originally applied to has no further interest in you?
No. They might have said on your form that they are still interested, but that they don't need to re-interview. It is, however, reasonably unlikely. It didn't happen on TSR last year as far as I'm aware.
Is there any chance at all of being phoned again by a second college for reinterview?
Yes, theoretically, although they're supposed to coordinate things so that you'd only get one call.
Then is there absolutely no chance of being made an offer without interview?
Not from another college, no. If there were another college who wanted to make an offer without interview then they'd take precedence over anyone who wanted to interview (or even the preference college).
Reply 196
firestone
Really confused:

2) Is there any chance at all of being phoned again by a second college for reinterview? So if you don't get another call on the same day, is that it, or would the pool dates still apply?
3) Then is there absolutely no chance of being made an offer without interview?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

1) I assume so
2) I don't think you would get reinterviewed at two colleges; I assume your file is pulled out of the pool when one college shows interest in you.
3) Last year, 713 pooled applicants were made offers, 477 received offers without returning for pool interviews.
Reply 197
Grumballcake, were you involved in the interview/pooling process at any point? You seem to know a lot about it!!
Reply 198
Some facts about the Winter Pool in 2006
• 28 undergraduate Colleges pooled applicants
• 2,879 applications were pooled in total
• 485 pooled applicants were re-interviewed
• 714 pooled applicants were made offers, of these:
o 478 received a direct offer without returning for Pool interviews
o 236 received offers following a Pool interview
• 127 pooled applicants received offers from the College that pooled them

from the cambridge admissions website.
So yes you can be offered a place without an interview and as explained by Grumballcake you should only be contacted by one college. All the information about how the pool works can be found here.
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/publications/winterpool.pdf

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/
LizzieGC
Grumballcake, were you involved in the interview/pooling process at any point? You seem to know a lot about it!!
#2 son was in the pool last year.

Latest

Trending

Trending