The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I was pooled by Jesus for Classics and have now been fished out again by them. This is doubly fantastic because I really did like the look of Jesus. The admissions secretary kindly emailed me the college's decision on the 11th because she realised it could take a while to reach the rightful home of the ashes :wink: Thankfully, this is the end of a very stressful few weeks!
Reply 581
Oh, and obviously congrats to everyone with offers and commiserations to those without. Everything about the process seems to indicate that it's a great deal more of a lottery than those with offers (and occasionally those with rejections) would sometimes like to make out.
I found out today that I haven't been fished out from the pool. It's alright though because I know I've already got offers from top unis and now I'll just have to move on. I was a tad disappointed at first obviously but I'm fine with it now. Thanks grumballcake for all your pearls of wisdom on this thread and everyone else that I've shared this pooling experience with. Good luck to those with interviews/still waiting!
Reply 583
Lykabelle
I found out today that I haven't been fished out from the pool. It's alright though because I know I've already got offers from top unis and now I'll just have to move on. I was a tad disappointed at first obviously but I'm fine with it now. Thanks grumballcake for all your pearls of wisdom on this thread and everyone else that I've shared this pooling experience with. Good luck to those with interviews/still waiting!

Aww I'm really sorry to hear that Lykabelle! However, with your grades, every other uni will be dying to snap you up and I'm sure you'll be a success wherever you go!

I'm still waiting to be put out of my misery. :smile:
seroi
Aww I'm really sorry to hear that Lykabelle! However, with your grades, every other uni will be dying to snap you up and I'm sure you'll be a success wherever you go!

I'm still waiting to be put out of my misery. :smile:

aww that's really nice of you. Good luck! :smile:
Benchmark
I was pooled by Jesus for Classics and have now been fished out again by them. This is doubly fantastic because I really did like the look of Jesus. The admissions secretary kindly emailed me the college's decision on the 11th because she realised it could take a while to reach the rightful home of the ashes :wink: Thankfully, this is the end of a very stressful few weeks!

Do you mind me asking - did you reapply this year (as a post-A Level applicant), and if so where did you apply last year (and for what subject?)

Congratulation btw! :smile:
Reply 586
Vazzyb
wtf :s-smilie:

Maybe someone's feeling a little resentful towards Cambridge right now.:wink:

It's understandable.
Reply 587
oh sorry, i didnt realise. I was reading this page of the thread and it came up as completely unrelated.
Reply 588
Lykabelle

Really sorry to hear that Lykabelle :frown: You will do great wherever you go!
Benchmark

Congrats!! For getting the offer and I'm happy that the stress is finally over, thought i had it bad with a week but everyone who is only just getting results and having interviews :frown: :frown:
grumballcake
This is the official pool thread for 2006/7.

Please post:

Name:
Subject:
Pooled by:
Does that college still have an interest in you?
Auto-pooled?

If your original college still has an interest in you, it will say so in the letter. Wording varies from college to college.

To work out if you may have been auto pooled, do you meet the following criteria?

a) Original college hasn't retained an interest
b) 7 A* or better at GCSE
c) 90% or better in all three of your most relevant/best ASs

I'll post some links and guidelines about life in the Pool.

The main procedure is here:
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpool.doc

I've posted some of it in further messages for convenience.

We have 79 swimmers that I'm aware of. Clare has the most with 10. Nat Sci leads the subject table with 14 (although that includes the biologists & physical scientists), Maths has 10. About 14 people think that they may have been auto-pooled. There were 7 where the college had retained an interest, although the college's first refusal on them expired at 5pm on Wednesday 3rd.

Offers
newbie17 (Call-back)
hyper-little-mushroom-men (Call-back to Queens':wink:
jumpshiftbite (Newnham)
kitsunechan (Corpus Christi)
AndyH (Corpus Christi)
Deedle (Caius)
824 (Queens':wink:
Benchmark (call-back to Jesus)
tomdav (call-back to Jesus)

Interviews
ecila Nat Sci (New Hall)
mousy English (New Hall)
danshutt Philosophy (Clare)
samwaudby Law (Fitzwilliam)
Subbacultcha Medicine (New Hall)
AAJ1 (Magdalene)
theduffy History (New Hall)
katie_butcher (Girton)
AlphaX (Selwyn)
xxsarahjwxx (New Hall)
3232 (Giton and Fitzwilliam)
louisekate (New Hall)
ty_che (Robinson)
AndyP (Robinson)

Fish in the pool by subject:

Architecture: Howlettn
Arch & Anth: apearlfender
Classics: Benchmark
Computer Science: corun, Deedle
Economics: upshine, lykabelle, .x.g.x., The Impaled Warthog, newbie17 nevsnev, ty_che, tjv
English: Astral Weeks, Reading Room, mousy, Niphredil
Engineering: jam_sister, WhatAboutWinston, Dandi
Geography: Fossi2, Trish
History: 3232, theduffy, Skylark
Japanese: kitsunechan
Land Econ: lizzie-ann, michaelbenson, conflack
Law: ol3, britishgirl n17, AAJ1, samwaudby, katie_butcher, plocketyplock, Big_McLargeHuge, sasstress14
Maths: James!, estel, 824, Andy H, orizon, leigh_s123, Chiggs, vector771, raelthelamb
Maths + CompSci xxsarahjwxx
Medicine: Subbacultcha, theredsox, chimpyang, Inka, Sir Jonathan
MML: lucho22, Ronove
Nat Sci: firestone, Petro, ecila, jumpshiftbite, themutantfishgirl, louisekate, suneilr, FalconMike, seroi, fruitsmoothies, BlackPenguin, AlphaX, AndyP, the pinkpowerranger
Philosophy: *gingerbread*, hyper-little-mushroom-men, danshutt, daphy
SPS: tomdav, LizzieGC, bluesky5, glitteratiglue, missdaniil
Theology: jessiebrown123

By preference college:

Caius: louisekate, orizon, Chiggs, ty_che, louisekate
Christ's: upshine, lucho22, Petro, suneilr
Churchill: seroi, xxsarahjwxx
Clare: 3232, theduffy, kitsunechan, James!, ecila, jumpshiftbite, jessiebrown123, apearlfender, plocketyplock, Big_McLargeHuge
Downing: ol3, *gingerbread*, sasstress14
Emmanuel: lykabelle, Subbacultcha, WhatAboutWinston, fruitsmoothies, Dandi
Fitzwilliam: .x.g.x., Fossi2
Girton: The Impaled Warthog, katie_butcher, SirJonathan
Jesus: tomdav, Benchmark, leigh_s123, thepinkpowerranger
King's: Astral Weeks, LizzieGC, Skylark
Magdalene: Reading Room, Trish, theredsox, bluesky5, Howlettn
New Hall: themutantfishgirl
Newnham: conflack
Pembroke: estel, 824, vector771, BlackPenguin
Peterhouse: Deedle
Queens': Niphredil, hyper-little-mushroom-men
Robinson: glitteratiglue
Selwyn: firestone, chimpyang, AlphaX
Sidney Sussex: lizzie-ann, Ronove, nevsnev
St John's: britishgirl n17, Andy H, jam_sister, Inka, samwaudby
Trinity: FalconMike, missdaniil
Trinity Hall: michaelbenson, AAJ1, danshutt, daphy, corun, mousy, raelthelamb
Unknown: hmspinafore

It isn't even my place to say but Tomdav wasn't fished out of the pool...your update says otherwise.

Anyhoo congrats to all those fishes on dry land and to those still in the pool..Commiserations-the fact you were pooled means you probably all have fantastic offers to choose from!-Good Luck wherever you go and I hope you'll all be happy and successful.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 591
Dark and Lovely
It isn't even my place to say but Tomdav wasn't fished out of the pool...your update says otherwise.

Anyhoo congrats to all those fishes on dry land and to those still in the pool..Commiserations-the fact you were pooled means you probably all have fantastic offers to choose from!-Good Luck wherever you go and I hope you'll all be happy and successful.

Thanks for correcting that, I felt like I was cheating everybody when I saw that just haha. Good luck to everybody still in there!
Reply 592
Nothing yet - but Christ's seems to be waiting until the end of the month to deliver the coup de grace to their sinkers... quite possibly the cruelest college of them all..
had my interviews at New Hall yesterday... and i loved the place! which is a bit of a pain, cos if id have hated it and then been rejected, i wouldnt have minded, but now... :s-smilie: ah well, nothing i can do now, will just have to wait till end of month!!

in fact, i think i liked it more than my original college - i didnt actually look at New Hall before i applied... however did anyone else find it really hard to go past their original college when they went for their pool interviews without looking wistfully at it?! hmmm anyway, bit of a ramble this one, but does anyone think that im liking new hall more as a side-effect of being pooled and put there, or cos i genuinely like it?! i really cant decide what it is!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 594
When do we find out after being re-interviewed?
Reply 595
danshutt
When do we find out after being re-interviewed?

I think officially we might not hear till the end of January, but I was told up to two weeks.
Reply 596
I imagine you'd have to genuinely like it; though some anti-pooling college amnosity may also account for exaggerating the effect :P.

I managed to avoid walking by the college I applied for...
Reply 597
mousy
I think officially we might not hear till the end of January, but I was told up to two weeks.

I was told by the fellow that interviewed me that they would try and let me know before Friday. :smile:
Reply 598
I was told by the fellow that interviewed me that they would try and let me know before Friday. :smile:

K, could be any time up until the end of Jan then.
estel
Ditto FalconMike.
Have you heard back yet?

Question: will colleges phone or letter decisions made after interview? Edit: Dw, just found reponse.

Just in case, I've got the impression that it's mostly by letter but it could be by phone as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending