The Student Room Group

Communication and culture AS AQA

Does anyone do Communication and culture as level? I have my exam tomorrow and my teacher is not very good and I do not know anything! Any help would be great :smile:Thank you
Hiya, I have that exam tomorrow as well. As long has you know the basics it should been fine after that because you can adapt your answers around the basic knowledge. first thing you need to know is the timings of the exam. Each question you should be looking to spend 20 minutes on this gives you extra time in case you over run which is fine.

Question is usually about culture, this can include subcultures (e.g. punks, bikers etc), this will also include things like cultural practices/ products. Question 2 is all about the communication side, this can include a range of things like NVC (non-verbal communication) which involve haptics, para-language, proxemics and more. This also includes how we talk (idolect, sociolect and dialect). Question 3 is all about preferred reading and looking at a text. This will include codes, index, anchors, icons and others. Question 4 usually includes a text, article or even song lyrics and you have to answer it in terms of a communication and culture student and include a range of things you have learnt.

Another key point would be to learn your keywords, i have attached a file that will have every keyword that has come up that is recommend by the exam board.

Also learn your theorists which is key to include in Questions 1,2 and 4. This are the key ones to look up - Goffman (self presentation and staging etc), Rogers (concentric circle), Cooley (looking glass theory).

I have attached some PowerPoint that may benefit your revision. plus check this slideshow out http://www.slideshare.net/aquinasmedia/as-revision-2012

Hope this helped and good luck with the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by alishaobrien
Hiya, I have that exam tomorrow as well. As long has you know the basics it should been fine after that because you can adapt your answers around the basic knowledge. first thing you need to know is the timings of the exam. Each question you should be looking to spend 20 minutes on this gives you extra time in case you over run which is fine.

Question is usually about culture, this can include subcultures (e.g. punks, bikers etc), this will also include things like cultural practices/ products. Question 2 is all about the communication side, this can include a range of things like NVC (non-verbal communication) which involve haptics, para-language, proxemics and more. This also includes how we talk (idolect, sociolect and dialect). Question 3 is all about preferred reading and looking at a text. This will include codes, index, anchors, icons and others. Question 4 usually includes a text, article or even song lyrics and you have to answer it in terms of a communication and culture student and include a range of things you have learnt.

Another key point would be to learn your keywords, i have attached a file that will have every keyword that has come up that is recommend by the exam board.

Also learn your theorists which is key to include in Questions 1,2 and 4. This are the key ones to look up - Goffman (self presentation and staging etc), Rogers (concentric circle), Cooley (looking glass theory).

I have attached some PowerPoint that may benefit your revision. plus check this slideshow out http://www.slideshare.net/aquinasmedia/as-revision-2012

Really helpful! My teacher thinks Group Communication may come up for question 3- so Janice (group think) and leadership styles :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by NafK3
Really helpful! My teacher thinks Group Communication may come up for question 3- so Janice (group think) and leadership styles :smile:

What do you mean leadership styles?
Reply 4

Thank you so much!
Reply 5
How did you all find it?
Reply 6
I think it went really well. I particularly liked the first 2 questions and wrote quite a lot

Semiotics was pretty straightforward but the 10 mark question was a bit broad for me so I couldn't think up ideas

Didn't really enjoy question 4 but I managed to scrape an answer together
Reply 7
Original post by NafK3
I think it went really well. I particularly liked the first 2 questions and wrote quite a lot

Semiotics was pretty straightforward but the 10 mark question was a bit broad for me so I couldn't think up ideas

Didn't really enjoy question 4 but I managed to scrape an answer together

Same! Which question did you chose? I did not really understand question 3 as my teacher didnt really teacher us the topic properly!
Reply 8
Original post by Goodzzz
Same! Which question did you chose? I did not really understand question 3 as my teacher didnt really teacher us the topic properly!

For question 1 I chose the "place we are brought up" but looking back I wish I has gone for religious beliefs

For question 2 I chose how "feedback affects online presentation" which went pretty well- I focused on negative feedback and self maintenance strategies
Reply 9
Original post by NafK3
For question 1 I chose the "place we are brought up" but looking back I wish I has gone for religious beliefs

For question 2 I chose how "feedback affects online presentation" which went pretty well- I focused on negative feedback and self maintenance strategies

For question 1 I did music, film and reading

Question 2 I chose the reaction of others
Thought it was a good exam! I was happy with the topics that came up so glad I done my own revision.
Reply 11
If you want any help on A2 level I can send you over some of my revision notes. As I don't find teachers explain it clearly so decided to teach myself the course:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by clara3
If you want any help on A2 level I can send you over some of my revision notes. As I don't find teachers explain it clearly so decided to teach myself the course:smile:

Can you please help me with the A2 exam tomorrow?
Reply 13
What was the coursework and written exam question marked out of?
Thought it was a good exam! I was happy with the topics that came up so glad I done my own revision.

hi i was wondering if you could help me with the presentation part of the coursework?
Original post by clara3

Hi!
I have my A2 exam in about two weeks, and honestly my teachers hasn't really explain all the theories and topics very well. I was wondering if I could see those notes to help me out? and do my own revision. It would be great help!
Hey is anyone doing the AS communication and culture exam this year. I need some resources and help!! fully desperate.
I have some notes but I don't know how to upload them aha...
Ah wait I have made an account now so can upload the resources, one is just a word document I have created of the main points by each theorist, and the second is just the AQA key terms booklet (Print it out and highlight the ones you are likely to use!)
I am a second year student retaking first year as I really didn't try in AS but now hope to get an A*, so any questions just ask!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 420blazeyourbab
I have some notes but I don't know how to upload them aha...
Ah wait I have made an account now so can upload the resources, one is just a word document I have created of the main points by each theorist, and the second is just the AQA key terms booklet (Print it out and highlight the ones you are likely to use!)
I am a second year student retaking first year as I really didn't try in AS but now hope to get an A*, so any questions just ask!

Can you send me that document please?

Quick Reply

Latest