The Student Room Group

What culture shocks do you think people would have if they came to your hometown?

not many shops
Original post by Avreil
not many shops

Depends on who's coming...
And also from where
Hi, this is a fantastic question. I have lived in 3 “towns” in my life, the first which I consider my hometown I left when I was quite young, despite the fact that I was quite young I still remember it well and still visit it often. It’s quite a traditional British village not far away from a major city, its quite mono-cultural, everyone knows each other and the same families live have lived there for generations. I think the biggest shock for an outsider moving in is the strong sense of community here, most families still attend church with each other, the local pub is the hub for any social activity and many play for the local football team. I think this culture of a close community would shock many people moving in as it’s quite rare to find this in many places nowadays.
Women have equal rights as the men. There are still too many people in the world who can't get it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Women have equal rights as the men. There are still too many people in the world who can't get it.

??

Depends on the country but I mostly agree.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
??

Depends on the country but I mostly agree.

Of course, it does. Another culture shock could be that Europeans in the West have goods in abundance, also a matter of countries. But as you may know my country counts to it. You can keep your two question marks for yourself.
(edited 1 year ago)
Of course, it does. Another culture shock could be that Europeans in the West have goods in abundance, also a matter of countries. But as you may know my country counts to it. You can keep your two question marks for yourself.

You mentioned men's Vs women's rights when the thread is about culture shocks, that's why I was confused.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
You mentioned men's Vs women's rights when the thread is about culture shocks, that's why I was confused.

Yep, but there are still living cultures around the earth in which women aren't emancipated. It is a naturalness for us, because we were grown up in a liberal society. Don't go for people who aren't.
Yep, but there are still living cultures around the earth in which women aren't emancipated. It is a naturalness for us, because we were grown up in a liberal society. Don't go for people who aren't.

Ah ok.
We eat with our hands for a lot of food that most people wouldn’t eat with their hands
Reply 11
There are no pavements and you can park wherever you like.

Quick Reply

Latest