The Student Room Group

The TSR Jewish Society (J-Soc) - thread TWO

Scroll to see replies

gemgems89
Sukkot is beautiful yeah. Love it!

How do you mean? If a non-Jew converts then they're Jewsh. This has no bearing on the mother of the convert in any way.

Male Jews have a wide array of female Jews to choose from! And a fine bunch we all are. :p:

Thanks. :smile:

you sure? i thought that converted jews are not officially jews with the same rights, e.g. can't become rabbis.
just wondered how strict that "jewish blood" thing is in the jewish law, but it sure doesn't matter anyway :rolleyes:
true, there are a lot of great jewish females (though i'd prefer to do the choosing myself :wink: )! :biggrin:
Reply 101
once a jew converts...they are a fully fledged jew......its not like harry potter and "muggle blood" :P
Faye Valentine
you sure? i thought that converted jews are not officially jews with the same rights, e.g. can't become rabbis.
just wondered how strict that "jewish blood" thing is in the jewish law, but it sure doesn't matter anyway :rolleyes:
true, there are a lot of great jewish females (though i'd prefer to do the choosing myself :wink: )! :biggrin:

Nope. Converts can become a rabbis.

One can choose for oneself. :confused:
gemgems89
Nope. Converts can become a rabbis.

strange - i'm sure i read somewhere that converts have some restrictions...good to know they haven't.

gemgems89
One can choose for oneself. :confused:

:rofl: i KNOW that one can choose for oneself, i just wanted to point out that i prefer to chose my boyfriend instead of "be chosen" by him (how you put it)...in terms of activity, you know!? ...Nevermind :biggrin: :wink:
Faye Valentine
strange - i'm sure i read somewhere that converts have some restrictions...good to know they haven't.

:rofl: i KNOW that one can choose for oneself, i just wanted to point out that i prefer to chose my boyfriend instead of "be chosen" by him (how you put it)...in terms of activity, you know!? ...Nevermind :biggrin: :wink:

Indeed.

You really have lost me girl. What do you mean? I'll blame the lateness (I know it's only 10pm) of the night and the fact I have two exams tomorrow on my slowness.
gemgems89
Indeed.

You really have lost me girl. What do you mean? I'll blame the lateness (I know it's only 10pm) of the night and the fact I have two exams tomorrow on my slowness.

:biggrin: really, don't worry, i'm sure it's just me having no clue.
as i said, i read somewhere that in orthodox judaism converted jews are not termed jews but members of the jewish people (in addition to a dislike of conversions in general) because they are no jews by blood, ergo not "god's chosen people", ergo aren't allowed to become rabbis.
so i thought to myself (naturally): "This really sucks, i dare to call it racist." and wondered how far it goes.
probably i mixed sth up (i read a lot in my life after all) or it was just complete rubbish (which conclusion i tend to).
anyway, i'm glad we sorted that out :wink:

Good luck with your exams tomorrow!
Faye Valentine
:biggrin: really, don't worry, i'm sure it's just me having no clue.
as i said, i read somewhere that in orthodox judaism converted jews are not termed jews but members of the jewish people (in addition to a dislike of conversions in general) because they are no jews by blood, ergo not "god's chosen people", ergo aren't allowed to become rabbis.
so i thought to myself (naturally): "This really sucks, i dare to call it racist." and wondered how far it goes.
probably i mixed sth up (i read a lot in my life after all) or it was just complete rubbish (which conclusion i tend to).
anyway, i'm glad we sorted that out :wink:

Good luck with your exams tomorrow!

Oh no you can't do this to me. Please explain. :p:

This is untrue. Converts are considered Jews once they've converted... and can be referred to "members of the lost tribes" or something. I.e. they got lost and have found their way back, or something.

Yes. :biggrin:

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 107
Are we not conflating race and religion here?
Carl
Are we not conflating race and religion here?

Not really. The second someone converts to Judaism, they are considered an ethnic Jew and a follower of Judaism (the only difference is that if a convert to Judaism becomes an atheist later on, they stop being a Jew, since it means they never really became a Jew). For example, if a woman converts to Judaism, has a child, and that child becomes an atheist, that child would still be considered a Jew by the rabbis.
Reply 109
ah ok now I understand.
Carl
ah ok now I understand.

Good.
Bismarck
:lies: :stink:

Good shabbos to everyone!
Reply 113
As a gentile that non-inclusive greeting has quite offended me :frown:
Carl
As a gentile that non-inclusive greeting has quite offended me :frown:

"...to everyone."

Just because you don't observe it it doesn't mean you can not be wished a good shabbos!
Reply 115
It wasn't inclusive enough :p:
Carl
It wasn't inclusive enough :p:

Good shabbos CARL!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 117
woohoo :biggrin: and you Gem :hugs:
Carl
woohoo :biggrin: and you Gem :hugs:

:biggrin: Glad I could finally please you. :hugs:
So how is everyone today (and Carl)?

Quick Reply