The Student Room Group

The whole 'your parents made you' argument

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's like that Chris Rock line "I TAKE CARE of my kids!" "Bitch, you're SUPPOSED TO!"

I agree. Parents don't deserve respect just by virtue of you being the fruit of their loins. No one deserves respect, it has to be earnt. And if your parents are dicks, or acting like dicks a fair bit, why would you respect them?

To the poster who said parents don't have a responsibility to celebrate your birthday, do things with you to entertain you - that is part and parcel of being a parent and if you're not going to do those things you shouldn't be having kids.
Original post by SuckMeBeautiful
OP sounds like the same guy who made the thread telling his parents to **** off after they asked why exam went bad :laugh:

Haha :laugh: OP uses TSR to vent about the relationship with his/her parents
Reply 22
Respect is earnt and parents should be no different.
Original post by abc101

To the poster who said parents don't have a responsibility to celebrate your birthday, do things with you to entertain you - that is part and parcel of being a parent and if you're not going to do those things you shouldn't be having kids.

uh not really. tbh I think the sole responsibility of a parent is to financially support the kid and pretty much leave them alone. I would appreciate it if my parents never spoke to me but just funded my education and food.

'Celebrating your birthday' and entertaining you is just spoiling you to some extent, although all kids have it.

It's funny because the 'kids' that we perceive as being treated poorly and just used by their parents, like those that were born from farmers just to be farmhands I think end up having better relationships with their parents than the urban ones.

From my experience, what really damages the relationship is when one or both sides thinks its 'okay' to treat their family much worse than usual just as a one off thing because they are having a bad day, which is common due to the pressures of urban life, yet they would never do that to a friend just because they know that their family would forgive them and the friend would be less willing.
i usually don't reply do dumb threads like this but of course you should respect you're parents they go through so much just give you the best possible start in life, if you're parents give you everything in life and give you the best possible upbringing and you still don't respect and appreciate them then you're a pathetic excuse of a human being
Original post by Anonymous
in the house my dad calls me 'you little ****' instead of my actual name and he keeps trying to tell me that 'respect is earned and not given' and he uses that as an excuse to basically just demean people and treat them like trash

that's why I don't really like the phrase unless you are applying it to yourself, as in you don't expect others to respect you unless you earn it, but to just go around being a complete ******* to others then saying 'respect is earned not given' as your justification for treating everyone like **** (like a lot of people do) is different imo

See my thread on Asian culture.

Might make you feel better
Original post by stargirl63
Thing is, a number of parents do more than their "legal responsibility". They don't have to take you on holiday, they could leave you with a relative during that time, they dont need to buy you bday presents or bday cake, they don't need to give you a cooked meal, pack your lunch, pay for birthday parties, buy you more than 2 different outfits to wear, have your own room, take you to play football on Saturdays ...Hell, they don't even need to speak to you. Their sole responsibility is to keep you alive until 18. They don't even need to house you past your 18th birthday.

There's a lot of extra things parents do which they don't need to do, and in return, to show a little respect and appreciation is not difficult.

Tbf I'd rather have my parents leave me alone to do what I want hearing some peoples stories of their parents....

I agree, some people can be spoiled brats and demand and demand from their parents. These kids need to be taught some discipline....

However if you look at the other side of things where parents are harassers and insanely strict limiting your lifestyle and making your life generally **** why should they deserve respect? Because they made you? Bull****
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

However if you look at the other side of things where parents are harassers and insanely strict limiting your lifestyle and making your life generally **** why should they deserve respect? Because they made you? Bull****

When your parents are being strict, more likely than not, they are doing it out of their care for you. If a parent lets his/her child smoke, do drugs and e.t.c. then that is worse than being strict. On the other end of the scale are the kind of super-stereotypical asian families where their child is not allowed to see their friends and is forced to do household chores on top of hours of piano and other academic activities every day.

(Which is a bit ignorant of them because they think it's good for their kid when actually things like playing the piano are kind of useless unless you want to do something like music as a career)

But strict as in 'you need to go to church on sunday' isn't exactly the good kind of strict I am referring to. If you are talking about that kind of strict, I think yes, these parents do not deserve any respect.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Tbf I'd rather have my parents leave me alone to do what I want hearing some peoples stories of their parents....

I agree, some people can be spoiled brats and demand and demand from their parents. These kids need to be taught some discipline....

Of course there's exceptions to the rule. Parental abuse and strict toxic family home etc..but what I am talking about are the majority of loving parents - I thought that was apparent, evidently not.
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone here think the whole 'your parents made you, so you should respect them' argument is complete bullshi*. Y'know, when people say, 'without your parents, you wouldnt be here'; or, 'they're the ones that took care of you.'

I don't think any parents are entitled to respect just 'cuz they busted some nuts into a women. Last time I checked, we did not ask to be bought into this world. Last time I checked, it is a LEGAL responsibility to be responsible for a child until they're 18 years of age. That is primitive bull**** and is part of the reason why various forms of child abuse is even as common as it is. You should respect nobody, including your parents, unless it is deserved.

People rarely plan on having children, they got coincidentally horny one night, went balls deep and out we came and by law are responsible for us unless they decide to abort our asses. Yeah, we love each other but don't make us feel looked down on like we have to forcefully respect our parents. If parents are going to have children, and then later on in their life say to them stuff like, 'I put food on the table for you, I put a roof over your head' shouldn't have children in the first place. Or, when they do have children, put them up for adoption and let someone who actually wants to be responsible for them and take care of them. You didn't ask to be made, that was their decision. Parents don't own their kids.

i definity believe that you should respect your parents just because they made you, unless your parents are abusive (in all forms) then yes i understand why you would have an issue with this concept. But if you come from a loving home where they looked after you and gave you an education and LIFE then why shouldnt they get that little respect back. Its the least they deserve, sure sometimes they can be extra hard on you trust me i know but you should understand the reason for this is because they love you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending