The Student Room Group

Am I in the wrong for blocking my friends mum

I got in an argument with my friend’s mother

Basically, her mum is very strict and controlling. Mine is too, but hers is something else. My friend wants to apply for Law at uni soon, and so needs relevant law work experience. Yesterday, we were discussing going to the Old Bailey Court today to sit in and watch a case from the public gallery. Her mum was reluctant at first, accusing her of lying and that she is actually going to go meet boys or do drugs etc the whole schtick. But then she calmed down and my friends dad agreed to take us. Mind you, I don’t want to apply for Law, but I was going to go to get out of the house, have some fun with my friend and be there with her.

As soon as I reach the bus stop to catch a bus to her house, my friend texts me and says “My mum bailed on me, I can’t go, she’s screaming”. So I’m like ok fab. “Since she doesn’t believe you, show her the proof that you need it for work experience and that we can actually go visit the court, or let me speak to her and explain” I replied. “No she’s just going to scream at you”, my friend said and I wish I never picked up her mother’s call now.

I get on the bus and get off at the stop near my friend’s house. As soon as I get off the bus, I get a call from her mother. Basically saying, you guys aren’t going to the court you’re lying you don’t even want to do Law why are you going etc etc. I explained, your daughter needs relevant work experience to apply for university, do you get that? She started raising her voice and I was simply replying and she says “Don’t speak to me like that” ?????. I get **** for explaining that my friend needs work experience. Anyways she then threatens me lol saying “I’m going to go to your parents and tell them everything”. I’m thinking, good luck with that. I cut the call, walk to a next road opposite, and she calls again. “What is your dads number? I’m going to show him everything, I have screenshots, you will not speak to me like that, you’re a bad influence and I don’t want you being my daughter’s friend” etc etc. the last thing I say before I hang up the phone and after our back and forth words is “Don’t call this number again/stop calling this number, you’re insane”, and then I block her.

Anyways aita
Yea kinda, she obv has issues but you've just made things worse for everyone presuming to talk to her like that, did you think for one moment she was going to say 'oh ok I never saw it that way kthxbai x'? Presuming you would be listened to as an equal and would be able to diffuse someone you already knew held these views was reckless.
Meh, completely valid to block her.

Should have taken pics of your visit in case your parents raise it.
Original post by Admit-One
Meh, completely valid to block her.

Also true, she did essentially call you a lying junkie.
I've only just realised how funny it was for her to say she's going to tell your parents, only have to call back moments later and ask your Dad's number :biggrin:

Obivously not great that things got heated when you are trying to help your friend, but if she's going to call you a liar who is leading her daughter astray, (presumably with no evidence), then I don't see why you should entertain her. Your friend's Dad obviously has a lot more trust in his daughter.
Reply 5
Would have been fun to go for a few cocktails after though
Original post by StriderHort
Yea kinda, she obv has issues but you've just made things worse for everyone presuming to talk to her like that, did you think for one moment she was going to say 'oh ok I never saw it that way kthxbai x'? Presuming you would be listened to as an equal and would be able to diffuse someone you already knew held these views was reckless.

Icl, she was on the phone screaming at ME when I did nothing, I found it valid to call her insane and block because that is exactly how she was acting. But I get where you’re coming from. I could’ve just ended the call and blocked her without any further comment.
Original post by xxinz_hani17xx
Icl, she was on the phone screaming at ME when I did nothing, I found it valid to call her insane and block because that is exactly how she was acting. But I get where you’re coming from. I could’ve just ended the call and blocked her without any further comment.

Yeah I'm not saying she is being reasonable at all, more that this response should have been predictable and your friend directly warned you. If her own daughter hasn't a chance of being heard she certainly won't listen to you as an equal and all it will have probably done is make things worse for everyone. I know that's not what you intended.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending