The Student Room Group

I hate my dad, advice

Hi all, so for some background I am a 25 year old male. I live with my mum and dad, my sister got married and moved out a few years ago. Him and my mum have an on and off relationship, they are not divorced. But they both wish they were. ( they only stay together for me and my sister )

Growing up I had a strict dad, education and school was big for him and wanted me to get good grades. I never went out with friends, I always felt awkward asking to go out, because he'd ask 101 questions. He is toxic in the sense. If we got into an argument he would stop speaking to me and the whole dynamic of the house would change. I lived out at uni, they were the best years of my life. I could do what I want when I want. I know work, but live at home. I try my best to avoid time with my dad, ie I only see him when I eat dinner, then try to go back to my room or something.

I walk on eggshells around the house.

Thing is he doesn't realise he's emotionally damaged me and my sister from young.

I have alot of respect for him because again he has made sacrifices to get me to where I am today. But at the same time it's come with a cost.

What do I do? I can't just leave the house, do I continue to live like this until I eventually get my own place?
You say you work. Can you not afford to rent somewhere, either a place on your own or as part of a house share?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, so for some background I am a 25 year old male. I live with my mum and dad, my sister got married and moved out a few years ago. Him and my mum have an on and off relationship, they are not divorced. But they both wish they were. ( they only stay together for me and my sister )

Growing up I had a strict dad, education and school was big for him and wanted me to get good grades. I never went out with friends, I always felt awkward asking to go out, because he'd ask 101 questions. He is toxic in the sense. If we got into an argument he would stop speaking to me and the whole dynamic of the house would change. I lived out at uni, they were the best years of my life. I could do what I want when I want. I know work, but live at home. I try my best to avoid time with my dad, ie I only see him when I eat dinner, then try to go back to my room or something.

Thing is he doesn't realise he's emotionally damaged me and my sister from young.

I have alot of respect for him because again he has made sacrifices to get me to where I am today. But at the same time it's come with a cost.

What do I do? I can't just leave the house, do I continue to live like this until I eventually get my own place?

Mate your 25… Question are you financially stable enough can you be able to provide for yourself such as food and water, cover costs and utilities such as bills and would you be able to cope for example taking out a flat to live by yourself…can you afford to pay rent if it’s a yes the simple thing to do is move out
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Your 25 , move out.
In short, yes.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

you're in your mid 20s, you've already suffered enough and you should enjoy the rest of your life. move out, if you aren't able to find anywhere to live maybe ask to stay at a friends house till you have gathered enough money to find somewhere to live away from your father. you can't let him toss you around like this. from someone that's also had a strict parent it's really difficult but you're going to regret it if you keep living there.
Original post by Anonymous #1

I'm in the same situation as you but im 16 so i can't really leave, nor would I as i love my mum too much and gotta be there for her when my dad gets too irritating to handle.

I'd say definitely plan to move out. You are 25 so that's more than an appropriate age to leave, if ur financially stable that is.

You could also try to talk it out with your dad but from experience it doesn't help but my dad is diff than urs so maybe you'd be lucky?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending