The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do

I keep having arguments with my parents, they keep calling me fat and tell me I need to lose weight. It's having a big impact on my mental health. After an argument i had today, i walked out and they said don't come back. I don't know what to do! I've spoken to a couple of my friends, but i'm at the library and i only have 30 minutes left, and i don't have a phone. I can't deal with my parents anymore.
Reply 1
Original post by Blackrose2006
I keep having arguments with my parents, they keep calling me fat and tell me I need to lose weight. It's having a big impact on my mental health. After an argument i had today, i walked out and they said don't come back. I don't know what to do! I've spoken to a couple of my friends, but i'm at the library and i only have 30 minutes left, and i don't have a phone. I can't deal with my parents anymore.

Hi there,

Sorry you are going through this.

Just reaching out to you as I wanted to let you know there is support available out there that may be of use:

- NSPCC
Please call the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email [email protected]. Please note that you still have the option to request anonymity via call or emails.

- Childline
Childline is free to contact on 0800 1111. Childline counsellors are here to take calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from children and young people under 19.

Childline counsellors are also available to speak to online through 1-2-1 chat and via email.

Hope you find this useful and please come into ATCS if you have any further questions.

Look after yourself.

Best wishes,
TSR Support
Reply 2
I am so sorry you have to go through this in the comfort of your own home. I urge you to speak to a member of staff you trust in your school/uni/work etc.
This is not right and no one should ever have to go through this with their parents.
Good luck!
Reply 3
The persona above mentioned Childline too, they are great! There are people who can help.
Reply 4
First of all, do not listen to the awful advice from TSR community staff. The fact they are telling you to call child services on behalf of your parents calling you fat and insisting you lose weight is absurd.

From this perspective, it seems your parents want the best for you by wanting you to lose weight. It may seem harsh to you but they want you to be in good physique which leads to increased mental well-being. Losing weight is also beneficial in physical health which will lead to a greater quality of life for you in the future. Listen and agree to try out your parents advice for a couple months and see where that will lead you.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone. i'm safe and at home now (with arguments still ongoing, but not as bad)

Original post by Good Advice
First of all, do not listen to the awful advice from TSR community staff. The fact they are telling you to call child services on behalf of your parents calling you fat and insisting you lose weight is absurd.

From this perspective, it seems your parents want the best for you by wanting you to lose weight. It may seem harsh to you but they want you to be in good physique which leads to increased mental well-being. Losing weight is also beneficial in physical health which will lead to a greater quality of life for you in the future. Listen and agree to try out your parents advice for a couple months and see where that will lead you.

I'm not even 11 stone, and 5'8" so no I'm not fat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending