The Student Room Group

Ideas for remembering a lot of definitions?

Hi, I have a OCR as chemistry exam next Tuesday and I'm finding it hard to remember all the definitions. Does anyone have any tips or ways to remember lots of definitions I could try out?
Reply 1
I do memory games - Write the definition next to the word, like a grid, and cut them all out then match them up turned the other way around, so theres loads of blank squares on the floor :smile:
Memory = neural connections in the brain

Neural connections = repetition.

So... repeatedly go over the definitions. Once every 3 hours of your day. Post some on the fridge, on your wall etc.
http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/chemistry/

Check this out, it's a site dedicated to helping you learn things like definitions or words in other languages and has several chemistry courses.
I would record yourself saying it, perhaps try to say it in a weird voice and then playback it all day and honestly sleep with it playing! It worked for me😊
Reply 5
Thank you, all of you! All those seem really helpful. I will try them out and combine the ones that work for me :smile:
Reply 6
Have you tried quizlet.com? Very good site when it comes to memorizing terms.
Reply 7
Write all the definitions on revision cards then go over them and over them, you'll be surprised how quickly you retain them :smile:
Flashcards
Reply 9
Original post by localblackguy
http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/chemistry/

Check this out, it's a site dedicated to helping you learn things like definitions or words in other languages and has several chemistry courses.

I already have a memrise account but I didn't know there were specifically ocr chemistry courses. Thanks, they seem good :smile:
Original post by QueenAryela
Memory = neural connections in the brain

Neural connections = repetition.

So... repeatedly go over the definitions. Once every 3 hours of your day. Post some on the fridge, on your wall etc.

I second this ^^

Come exam time I always had post its everywhere.......wall next to loo......fridge..........bedside table........ but only do it strategically, don't go overboard with the post its!

Just reading them out loud when you see them helps it sink in, even if it's just getting the milk out of the fridge etc..
Reply 11
Thank you everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending