The Student Room Group

A-Level (A2) - AQA - Product Design (June 8th) - Exam Structure Help

Hi,

I'm counting down the days now until my last (and most important exam) will be taking place. However, I still have a few weaker areas, looking at how well I've scored after doing all of the past paper questions possible.

I really don't like the questions where you have to write a design specification (i seem to write too much) and then compare and contrast two products against it (i don't know whether to do them at the same time or individually). And really, any question where two or more products have to be compared and contrasted against a spec, design movement, etc.

I was wondering if anyone that had studied (or is studying) Product Design could help me with how I could structure these answers in a time efficient and effective manner.

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by TheGDesigner
Hi,

I'm counting down the days now until my last (and most important exam) will be taking place. However, I still have a few weaker areas, looking at how well I've scored after doing all of the past paper questions possible.

I really don't like the questions where you have to write a design specification (i seem to write too much) and then compare and contrast two products against it (i don't know whether to do them at the same time or individually). And really, any question where two or more products have to be compared and contrasted against a spec, design movement, etc.

I was wondering if anyone that had studied (or is studying) Product Design could help me with how I could structure these answers in a time efficient and effective manner.

Thanks!

Giving this a bump for you :smile:
Hi,

Thanks!

Hiya, I take product design :smile:

If you have to compare and contrast two products I would raise points about each but compare as you progress. Here's an example.

The Charles and Eames Lounge Chair is made from leather, steam bent plywood and casted aluminium, this is fairly similar to the Barcelona chair which is made from casted stainless steel and leather. Both have a fairly simplistic design but the Lounge chair pushed the boundaries of modern technology with the use of steam bending.

Usually for a compare and contrast question they will provide a specific focus such as aesthetics. Make sure that you talk explicitly about the aesthetics of each product and how they are similar different. You can even discuss why they are similar (e.g. if they are from the same design movement). My teacher always suggests underlining where you have used the question words in your answer (if you have time of course!)

At the end of the day, you only have to answer three questions so don't try to do ones that will freak you out!

I hope this kind of helps??
Reply 4
Hi,

Thanks!

Hey, I just did a question the other day from June 2012 comparing an outdoor bench and a large bin, and I'd come up with five criteria for the design specification, which seemed like too much? I think I could have done with four, because the mark scheme only mentions four. And when answering, I started with the bench and then the bin, for each criteria in the order I'd given in the first part. So it was a bit like this:

"Aesthetic
Bench aesthetic paragraph

Bin aesthetic paragraph

Cost of manufacture and installation

Bench paragraph

Bin paragraph"

(You're allowed to put in headers like that, according to my teacher, so long as you're still answering in paragraphs!)

As for another question, which asked to compare & contrast redistribution and fabrication, I had one paragraph for each, listing their individual properties and methods and such. Then the 2nd half was where I contrasted them, grouping together opposites where I could, e.g. redistribution is expensive to setup because of high quality moulds, whereas fabrication isn't expensive to setup because it doesn't need those. I'm not too sure how 'good' that is as a strategy, but it makes sense to me, so that's what I use.

All the best for Monday! I'll be glad when those two hours are over, phew.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest