The Student Room Group

History AQA Option B - Monday 1st June 2015 *URGENT HELP*

Dear All,

This will be my last thread for the AQA, Option B History Exam on Monday 1st June 2015, so therefore, I would appreciate it if I could receive some answers!

Firstly, if you are doing topic 1 - The Origins of World War One. I have not revised anything to do with the Balkan Wars; please can somebody send me some notes, some links to websites, videos etc... that would be valued.

Secondly, if you have any resources for me to further my knowledge, revise in depth or want a study partner for Causes of WWI then PM me.

Moving on to Topic 2 now - Peacemaking and the League of Nations. if you have any videos, websites, notes, quizzes - ANYTHING that will help me with my revision then please send it to me. Also, keywords will be appreciated.

Lastly, Topic 3 - Hitler's Foreign Policy. The same as above please that would be great. Also, has anyone got any notes for the Disarmament Conference and the Sudetenland Crisis?

Does anyone have any predictions as well?

Preferably, I would like responses as soon as possible.

I hope that your revision is going well and I thank you in advance for your replies.
You should use Memrise. It's a quick revision website/app which aims to store information in your long-term memory. I use it for History as suggested by my History teacher and it is great.

Consider trying it.

If that's not your type of thing there's websites such as http://www.johndclare.net/ which is great for revision.

I'm sure there are videos on Youtube aimed to help you.

Practice questions and reread through your notes.

The thing about History is that it's not only just based on knowledge, it's also about how you apply and for the 10 marks questions you are required to be able to have balanced judgement and furthermore have your own opinion.

For the 10 mark question I usually get top marks at 9-10. This is probably mainly due to the method I use to answer it.

I write 4 main points from each given event. For example if they had asked me:

What was the more important reason for the outbreak of the First World War in 1914:

- The Moroccan Crises 1905 and 1911
- The assassination at Sarajevo in 1914

I would write 2 points for each saying why it would have been important and then 2 points for each saying why it wouldn't have been important.

Then for my conclusion I would then explain which one was the most important reflecting on my previous points. The conclusion is worth 2 marks. Make sure you show that you've compared both the events.

Use connectives, such as: however, on the other hand, therefore, etc.

This should most definitely get you high marks.

Good luck for the exam, and I hope your revision is going well. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by LibraPower
You should use Memrise. It's a quick revision website/app which aims to store information in your long-term memory. I use it for History as suggested by my History teacher and it is great.

Consider trying it.

If that's not your type of thing there's websites such as http://www.johndclare.net/ which is great for revision.

I'm sure there are videos on Youtube aimed to help you.

Practice questions and reread through your notes.

The thing about History is that it's not only just based on knowledge, it's also about how you apply and for the 10 marks questions you are required to be able to have balanced judgement and furthermore have your own opinion.

For the 10 mark question I usually get top marks at 9-10. This is probably mainly due to the method I use to answer it.

I write 4 main points from each given event. For example if they had asked me:

What was the more important reason for the outbreak of the First World War in 1914:

- The Moroccan Crises 1905 and 1911
- The assassination at Sarajevo in 1914

I would write 2 points for each saying why it would have been important and then 2 points for each saying why it wouldn't have been important.

Then for my conclusion I would then explain which one was the most important reflecting on my previous points. The conclusion is worth 2 marks. Make sure you show that you've compared both the events.

Use connectives, such as: however, on the other hand, therefore, etc.

This should most definitely get you high marks.

Good luck for the exam, and I hope your revision is going well. :biggrin:

Hi,

Thank you very, very much for your very in depth reply; everything that you put sounds great and really helpful! Would you be able to PM me as I have a few more questions.
Reply 3
Hi, I would really appreciate it if I would receive some replies ASAP. I am sitting the AQA Option B History Exam on Monday 1st June 2015; most of my revision I have completed, however, there are still a few elements that I am not totally sure on. I am doing topics 1, 2 & 3 (Origins of WWI, Peacemaking and the League of Nations and Origins of WWII). I would be extremely grateful if you could supply me with notes for the following topics: The Polish Corridor/ East Prussia/ Danzig - don't know anything about these (Topic 3) Austria-Hungary's 10 point ultimatum to Serbia - what happened? what was it? how did it lead to war? (Topic 1) The Balkans Wars (Topic 1) Germany's fear of encirclement in the 1890s (Topic 1) Paris Peace Conference - Basic Overview - date of the conference - what happened there? (Topic 2) Attack on Poland - don't know anything about this (Topic 3) 3 different leaders aims at the Paris Peace Conference (Topic 2) Also, if you've got any revision quizzes, keywords or advice on how to obtain an A/A* please can you send them to me. Please can I receive this information ASAP. Thank you!
Predictions?
Reply 5
Original post by Cal1999
Dear All,

This will be my last thread for the AQA, Option B History Exam on Monday 1st June 2015, so therefore, I would appreciate it if I could receive some answers!

Firstly, if you are doing topic 1 - The Origins of World War One. I have not revised anything to do with the Balkan Wars; please can somebody send me some notes, some links to websites, videos etc... that would be valued.

Secondly, if you have any resources for me to further my knowledge, revise in depth or want a study partner for Causes of WWI then PM me.

Moving on to Topic 2 now - Peacemaking and the League of Nations. if you have any videos, websites, notes, quizzes - ANYTHING that will help me with my revision then please send it to me. Also, keywords will be appreciated.

Lastly, Topic 3 - Hitler's Foreign Policy. The same as above please that would be great. Also, has anyone got any notes for the Disarmament Conference and the Sudetenland Crisis?

Does anyone have any predictions as well?

Preferably, I would like responses as soon as possible.

I hope that your revision is going well and I thank you in advance for your replies.

Im doing the same 3 as you! I can give you a few tips and tricks I guess.

Origins of WW1:
Main thing to remember is Kaiser Wilhelm. His foreign policy caused tensions such as the naval race with Europe, as well as thw Morrocan crisis.
Also, the three crises are Morrocco (France win), Agadir (aka Morrocco 2.0) and Bosnia. Bosniacrisis is when AH annexed (which means seized) Bosnia but Serbia wanted it to be paet of a big Serbia state so there was a drama.

This led to the assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand on 28 June 1914. This led to the outbreak of war, as AH declared war on Serbia on 28 July 1914 (a month later). Then Germany declared war on rivals Russia (1 Aug) and france (3 aug). On 4 Aug, Germany carried out the Schlieffen Plan, which was planned to help Germany fight a war on two fronts. They would sweep through Belgium before defeating Russia on the West(? - You may need to double check as I'm doing this with no notes so it benefits me as well as you) front. So on 4 august, Germany sent troops to Belgium but the plan failed as Britain intervened due to the Treaty of London (British-Belgian alliance) and they declared war on Germany later that day.
Also note, the Schlieffen Plan was devised in 1880s, showing how Germany had been preparing for war for nearly 30 years before it happened.

Topic 2 is pretty easy if you just remember the facts. My teacher said to learn the ToV and LoN better than the names of your family and friends (idk just go with it) as it is useful for Weimar Germany in paper 2 and some of it is useful for topic 3.

Keywords:
Reparations - the economic sanctions Germany had to pay for war, as part of the Treaty of Versailles (War Guilt Clause 231)
Self determination - Part of Wilson's 14 points; the idea that all nations should be independent.

Then theres two crises: Manchuria(1931-1933) and Abyssinia (Idk the date) which can both be seen as the end of LoN. (League of Nations)

Manchuria - took over a year to finalise Lytton Report (investigation,into crisis, shows how the crisis wasnt seen as important)
Abysinnia - Britain and france, the 2 leaders of the league, gave in to Italy as they didnt want to lose their ally and they even signed a secret agreement called the Hoare laval pact to allow Italy to get away with it. This shoes the selfishness of LoN

Im not very good with the set up of the League, sorry. I can't help ya there.

Ok, unit 3 now. My worst :frown:

Sudeten Crisis - Hitler wanted the Sudeteneland which was removed of Germany as part of the ToV. The Sudeten Land was part of Czechoslovakia and was made up of German speakers. Hitler ordered Henlein, the president of Sudetenland to stir up trouble. Henlein made out thatCzechs were carrying out crimes vs. Sudeten Germans. Hitler threatened war if the Sudetenland was not given, and the rest is HISTORY (:

Also, appeasement is a key term to remember. It's when Britain gave into Germany to avoid another war at all costs. However this gave Germany thw upper hand as Hitler was stronger and more confident as a result.

The last thing you wanted help with: Disarmament Conference of 1932-1934. This was a series of conferences to decide the future of Germany. Some people believed that Germany had been treated too harshly. They debated whether all countries should disarm to the level of germany
However all nations refused and Hitler was angry. Another meeting saw an absent hitler.
Eventually Germany left the League of nations also.

I hope I helped! I know it's not much but hopefully it will help. It also beneffited me as it was all from memory! Really hoping for a good grade!

Oh, and as for predictions, here's mine;

Topic 1:
4 marks - Kaiser's foreign policy
6 marks - Schlieffen Plan
10 marks - Morroccan and Bosnian Crises

Topic2:
4 marks - Set up of the League (hate this so much!!!)
6 marks - Treaty of Versailles or Manchuria/Abyssinia Crisis
10 marks - Paris Peace Conference and Big 3 (I would say both crises but this is in the Specimen so probably not)

Topic 3:
4 marks - Hitler's aims
6 marks - Anschluss or Nazi Soviet Pact
10 marks (this one was predicted by my teacher)
"What strengthened Hitler more; Britain's policy of appeasement or the Sudeten Crisis?"

Good luck for tommorow!
Reply 6
Is the set up of the leave the organisation?

What should I learn for the treaty of Versailles? Which points?

Do you have any tips on how to get an A*?

Thank you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by Cal1999
Is the set up of the leave the organisation?

What should I learn for the treaty of Versailles? Which points?

Do you have any tips on how to get an A*?

Thank you so much!

Hi, yes the set up is the league, council etc I still need to go over it later this evening.

For the treaty:
What did Germany lose? (Reparations, reduction in armed forces, loss of territories, forbidden Anschluss w/ Austria, refusal to join League)
And then in my revision guide there's a section on the strengths and weaknesses of the treaty.
Strengths: Europe was at peace and the LON helped this, Germany's treaty on Russia (Treaty of Brest-Litovsk) was harsher.
Weaknesses: Germany were poor, Britain and France argued over reparations, the Treaty was seen by some as still allowing revenge.

Also, you need to know WHY Germany objected to the Treaty.
-They believed that it wasn't just Germany's fault for the outbreak of war, other countries contributed and they felt that the war guilt clause was inaccurate
-Felt insulted as they were not allowed to join League
-Reparations seen as too expensive for economy
-Some Germans now lived in countries ruled by foreign governments (due to territory loss)
-Army reduction: 100,000 seen as too small for size of Germany and the army was a symbol of pride

For tips, I'd advise you to explain everything thoroughly. My teacher gave us some gold dust advice which I'm happy to share with you:
For the 10 markers, give 2-3 detailed explanations per bullet point. Make sure to read between the lines. For the conclusion, structure it as below:
"Overall, I believe [factor] was more important in the short term because... However, [factor] was more important long term because...

For example, if there was a question comparing The Manchurian and Abyssinian crises and how they led to the collapse of the League, I'd say Manchuria was more important long term as it showed the instability at an early stage BUT Abyssinia was more important short term as it was thw final trigger.
Remember, to reach Level 3 (the highest) you need to give a balanced judgement in the 10 markers.

Don't forget, for 4 mark questions just state four reasons and do not interpret. For the 6 markers, you need to read between the lines and give facts. Also talk about the provenance/purpose of the source i.e. Who created it? Is it biased? When was it created? Why?

Good luck again and I hope it goes well. I'm dreading it too... And to top it off, we have another exam in 10 days! :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by san_28

Origins of WW1:
Main thing to remember is Kaiser Wilhelm. His foreign policy caused tensions such as the naval race with Europe, as well as thw Morrocan crisis.
Also, the three crises are Morrocco (France win), Agadir (aka Morrocco 2.0) and Bosnia. Bosniacrisis is when AH annexed (which means seized) Bosnia but Serbia wanted it to be paet of a big Serbia state so there was a drama.

This led to the assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand on 28 June 1914. This led to the outbreak of war, as AH declared war on Serbia on 28 July 1914 (a month later). Then Germany declared war on rivals Russia (1 Aug) and france (3 aug). On 4 Aug, Germany carried out the Schlieffen Plan, which was planned to help Germany fight a war on two fronts. They would sweep through Belgium before defeating Russia on the West(? - You may need to double check as I'm doing this with no notes so it benefits me as well as you) front. So on 4 august, Germany sent troops to Belgium but the plan failed as Britain intervened due to the Treaty of London (British-Belgian alliance) and they declared war on Germany later that day.
Also note, the Schlieffen Plan was devised in 1880s, showing how Germany had been preparing for war for nearly 30 years before it happened.

Topic 2 is pretty easy if you just remember the facts. My teacher said to learn the ToV and LoN better than the names of your family and friends (idk just go with it) as it is useful for Weimar Germany in paper 2 and some of it is useful for topic 3.

Keywords:
Reparations - the economic sanctions Germany had to pay for war, as part of the Treaty of Versailles (War Guilt Clause 231)
Self determination - Part of Wilson's 14 points; the idea that all nations should be independent.

Then theres two crises: Manchuria(1931-1933) and Abyssinia (Idk the date) which can both be seen as the end of LoN. (League of Nations)

Manchuria - took over a year to finalise Lytton Report (investigation,into crisis, shows how the crisis wasnt seen as important)
Abysinnia - Britain and france, the 2 leaders of the league, gave in to Italy as they didnt want to lose their ally and they even signed a secret agreement called the Hoare laval pact to allow Italy to get away with it. This shoes the selfishness of LoN

Sudeten Crisis - Hitler wanted the Sudeteneland which was removed of Germany as part of the ToV. The Sudeten Land was part of Czechoslovakia and was made up of German speakers. Hitler ordered Henlein, the president of Sudetenland to stir up trouble. Henlein made out thatCzechs were carrying out crimes vs. Sudeten Germans. Hitler threatened war if the Sudetenland was not given, and the rest is HISTORY (:

Also, appeasement is a key term to remember. It's when Britain gave into Germany to avoid another war at all costs. However this gave Germany thw upper hand as Hitler was stronger and more confident as a result.

The last thing you wanted help with: Disarmament Conference of 1932-1934. This was a series of conferences to decide the future of Germany. Some people believed that Germany had been treated too harshly. They debated whether all countries should disarm to the level of germany
However all nations refused and Hitler was angry. Another meeting saw an absent hitler.

I hope I helped! I know it's not much but hopefully it will help. It also beneffited me as it was all from memory! Really hoping for a good grade!

Topic 1:

Topic2:
10 marks - Paris Peace Conference and Big 3 (I would say both crises but this is in the Specimen so probably not)

Topic 3:
4 marks - Hitler's aims
"What strengthened Hitler more; Britain's policy of appeasement or the Sudeten Crisis?"

Good luck for tommorow!

can someone tell me what you would write for topic 2 question 1 on the predicted question
I'm not too sure, maybe talk about the Assembly, the Council etc and how no one was really committed and the Assembly only met once a year and each country had to agree on something before it was passed to the Council, and as you would know it would have been hard for the Great Powers to agree on things.
Remember whatever you write it has to be 4 points.
Reply 11
Original post by san_28

Origins of WW1:

Keywords:

Topic 1:

Topic2:

Topic 3:
4 marks - Hitler's aims

Good luck for tommorow!

did any of these questions come up in the exam, as i am doing mocks at the minute, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending