The Student Room Group

How do I appreciate poetry?

I don't really mean in an exam or in school, I just mean in your own life in general. I love reading prose and I can enjoy reading drama as well, but somehow, poetry just doesn't influence me...I'm so objective when looking at peotry, it doesn't mean me emotional any way at all, unlike prose/drama

Do you have the same problem as me? If not, why exactly do you love poetry?

I'm trying to get into poetry and understand it but I just don't really get it. It's a challenge especially when facing an unseen exam paper in Literature.
Read Bukowski
Original post by LeviosaNight
I don't really mean in an exam or in school, I just mean in your own life in general. I love reading prose and I can enjoy reading drama as well, but somehow, poetry just doesn't influence me...I'm so objective when looking at peotry, it doesn't mean me emotional any way at all, unlike prose/drama

Do you have the same problem as me? If not, why exactly do you love poetry?

I'm trying to get into poetry and understand it but I just don't really get it. It's a challenge especially when facing an unseen exam paper in Literature.

I get what you mean. I love literature - especially prose and drama, but very rarely read poetry for pleasure. I enjoy picking it apart, just not really reading it and then moving on.

You seem to have two questions up there - the first being how to enjoy poetry.

I would say: try everything. Look online for "best poets" or something. I know that sounds a bit daft, but perhaps it'll help. You could try a poem or two by some of the poets you find and see if you connect with any of them.

If that doesn't work, try looking for poems of a particular theme you enjoy. For example, if you're really into the nature or something, look for Romantic poets; they love nature. Or perhaps you love philosophy or you want a poem that blows you away about the meaning of life.

But, agreed, I still haven't really found a poet or a poem that I think "WOW" about, unless I'm actually doing close analysis on it and realise there's an amazing deeper meaning to it and start to enjoy it a lot more.

With regards to understanding poetry if it's unseen, I would say just look at it line by line and ask yourself: "what might this be trying to convey?" I was doing a past paper with an unseen poem and the poem that came up was 'Cut Grass' by Philip Larkin. I had a feeling the poem might be a metaphor for dying before life has been fulfilled, but I wasn't completely sure. I would just say: go with your gut instinct, and as long as you work your quotes to support your ideas then you'll be fine. :smile:

I hope this helps!
Original post by thewishfulwriter
I get what you mean. I love literature - especially prose and drama, but very rarely read poetry for pleasure. I enjoy picking it apart, just not really reading it and then moving on.

You seem to have two questions up there - the first being how to enjoy poetry.

I would say: try everything. Look online for "best poets" or something. I know that sounds a bit daft, but perhaps it'll help. You could try a poem or two by some of the poets you find and see if you connect with any of them.

If that doesn't work, try looking for poems of a particular theme you enjoy. For example, if you're really into the nature or something, look for Romantic poets; they love nature. Or perhaps you love philosophy or you want a poem that blows you away about the meaning of life.

But, agreed, I still haven't really found a poet or a poem that I think "WOW" about, unless I'm actually doing close analysis on it and realise there's an amazing deeper meaning to it and start to enjoy it a lot more.

With regards to understanding poetry if it's unseen, I would say just look at it line by line and ask yourself: "what might this be trying to convey?" I was doing a past paper with an unseen poem and the poem that came up was 'Cut Grass' by Philip Larkin. I had a feeling the poem might be a metaphor for dying before life has been fulfilled, but I wasn't completely sure. I would just say: go with your gut instinct, and as long as you work your quotes to support your ideas then you'll be fine. :smile:

I hope this helps!

thank you!
I feel like an ass for just recommending my favourite poet, but hell, I'll do it anyway. Try out Howl & Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg. But yeah, you need to try a wide range of poets. Nothing is for everyone, and it could just be that you've not found the poet that you really connect with yet.

Just for a sample from Ginsberg, try these: The Sunflower Sutra, and A Supermarket In California.

I love the Beat poets because they felt they could do something revolutionary, change poetry, and then went ahead and did it. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me. There's a huge range of poets to sample, and a huge amount of their work can be found online.

Off the top of my head, for Romantics I'd recommend Dylan Thomas and Shelley. For something different, I'd try Federico Garcia Lorca. And of course The Beat generation. Try out a wide range of poets, you may find one that you experience a real connection to.
That is such good advice Interzone Agent. I love Dylan Thomas and Shelley too. I think it's all about feeling a connection which is personal. I also liked this book my teacher recommended which was by Ruth Padel all about how to read a poem. I can't remember the title right now but she goes through poems and says what she thinks about each line. Just looked on Amazon, here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/52-Ways-Of-Looking-Poem/dp/0099429152
Think that's on my reading list for the summer, nice to hear some good feedback on it, I'll check it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I love poetry! I like how the emphasis is not just on what is said but HOW it is said. I just love how it reads, maybe try listening to poetry being read aloud?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending