The Student Room Group

How the hell do you revise poetry??

I know this is so bad but my y11 mocks are next week, and my English is on Monday. I honestly love poetry and Im not bad at it, particularly in open book assessments, but of course the actual thing and our mocks are closed book. I know I should try to remember themes, structure, quotations, comparisons etc but I’ve got no clue how!! I’m aiming for at least an 8, and I know flash cards are generally good for memorising stuff but I don’t know how to structure them. If anyone could give advice on how they revise, I’d really appreciate it especially since I’ve got a week until the exam.
Original post by F4y33
I know this is so bad but my y11 mocks are next week, and my English is on Monday. I honestly love poetry and Im not bad at it, particularly in open book assessments, but of course the actual thing and our mocks are closed book. I know I should try to remember themes, structure, quotations, comparisons etc but I’ve got no clue how!! I’m aiming for at least an 8, and I know flash cards are generally good for memorising stuff but I don’t know how to structure them. If anyone could give advice on how they revise, I’d really appreciate it especially since I’ve got a week until the exam.

Hi!

I also have mocks in a few weeks time, I have made A4 summary sheets of each poem with structure, context, summary/themes and 4 key quotations. I literally just try and memorise them pretty much word for word. I don’t think there’s a short cut to it unfortunately, you just need to memorise it! (Which is a shame because it does seem to take the joy out of poetry).
Closer to the time I do practice questions and try to think through what poems I would compare to others, but I only tend to do this after I know I know the poems well.

I had a mock last year for poetry and this method seemed to work for me!

Good luck in your mocks :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Tedious_Cat
Hi!

I also have mocks in a few weeks time, I have made A4 summary sheets of each poem with structure, context, summary/themes and 4 key quotations. I literally just try and memorise them pretty much word for word. I don’t think there’s a short cut to it unfortunately, you just need to memorise it! (Which is a shame because it does seem to take the joy out of poetry).
Closer to the time I do practice questions and try to think through what poems I would compare to others, but I only tend to do this after I know I know the poems well.

Thanks so much!! How do you go about memorising them? Do you blurt or something or just read through them until it sticks?
Good luck for yours too!
Original post by F4y33
Thanks so much!! How do you go about memorising them? Do you blurt or something or just read through them until it sticks?
Good luck for yours too!

I tend to blurt. I draw out a mindmap with branches of structure, themes, context and language and I basically do that again and again until it sticks haha

Thank you 😊
Reply 4
I tend to blurt. I draw out a mindmap with branches of structure, themes, context and language and I basically do that again and again until it sticks haha

Thank you 😊

Thanks so much
Reply 5
Hi!

Do you mind sending the summary sheets you made😭😭😭
Original post by F4y33

Take an A4 paper and title it with the poem and then section the paper into 4 categories: context, structure, themes and quotes/analysis.

Go on glow up your grades youtube channel and pmt (+ any other resource you find helpful) and copy down all the points into their own categories. For the key quotes, always write down some analysis along with it, so you don't panic a lot in the exam.

Then work on memorising it and practicing/perfecting your essays - I recommend mark my gcse, as it marks any past paper questions you do and gives you great feedback:

https://app.edumentors.co.uk/gcse

I hope I helped and good luck with mocks!
Reply 7
Original post by a_nzz07

Really what matters is the act of making them yourself. Someone else's revision notes will always be less useful than what you could make yourself.
Try making essay plans, it'll give you an idea of what poems are good to use, which quotes are more important.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
Really what matters is the act of making them yourself. Someone else's revision notes will always be less useful than what you could make yourself.
Try making essay plans, it'll give you an idea of what poems are good to use, which quotes are more important.

Okay!
Original post by a_nzz07

I find making the summary sheets with quotes you know you are going to remember is best, but my template looks like this:

Summary l Context
l
——————————
Analysis of title
——————————
4 key quotations
——————————
Themes l Comparisons

I also write it in sort of shorthand just to save space as it does get a little cramped on A4. 😂
I get all my annotations from genius.com, for example, here is the page for Storm on The Island - https://genius.com/Seamus-heaney-storm-on-the-island-annotated

Also don’t forget to make sure you know the poem as a whole as it is much easier to remember quotes and annotations if you know the gist of the rest of the poem 😊.
hey i was 2023 gcse year group. i hated English with my whole heart (no offence) so I just made really good annotations, and then I wrote a couple practice essays on my laptop and in my book to get better at connecting the dots in the poems. I chose like three themes per poem which I could explain well and wrote notes on them. my essay structure was intro, theme 1, 2, 3, structure/style analysis, conclusion and I linked to the question in every single paragraph. i also provided a couple facts about the author's personal life to show I researched beyond the poem and I knew what I was talking about. i got two 9s in English lit and lang, so I hope this helps!!!! good luck! you're going to be okay

oh and I literally dissected any and all youtube videos I could find and added them to my notes. i also made online and paper notes of all of my poems and prose and plays. which meant I was constantly asked to give my notes out. and I tried to submit as many practice essays as I could to my teacher to make sure I was doing the right thing
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 11
I find making the summary sheets with quotes you know you are going to remember is best, but my template looks like this:

Summary l Context
l
——————————
Analysis of title
——————————
4 key quotations
——————————
Themes l Comparisons

I also write it in sort of shorthand just to save space as it does get a little cramped on A4. 😂
I get all my annotations from genius.com, for example, here is the page for Storm on The Island - https://genius.com/Seamus-heaney-storm-on-the-island-annotated

Also don’t forget to make sure you know the poem as a whole as it is much easier to remember quotes and annotations if you know the gist of the rest of the poem 😊.

Okayy thank you!!!
Hey there! i am a gcse student and i have annotated all my peoms (War and Conflict) but the rpoblem is i am unsre of how many quote to memories from each poem, bc i was thinking 3 quotes shold be enough however other people are saying 5?!!?! I AM ALREADY STRESSING ABOUT ALL THE OTHER STUFF I HAVE TO MEMORIES, anways any advice will be greatly appreciated, THANKK YOUUU !!! <3
Original post by diyavaidya
Hey there! i am a gcse student and i have annotated all my peoms (War and Conflict) but the rpoblem is i am unsre of how many quote to memories from each poem, bc i was thinking 3 quotes shold be enough however other people are saying 5?!!?! I AM ALREADY STRESSING ABOUT ALL THE OTHER STUFF I HAVE TO MEMORIES, anways any advice will be greatly appreciated, THANKK YOUUU !!! <3

Hi, I think 3 quotes is the right amount, because in your essay you also need to mention structure, themes and context which may not require quotes necessarily; so if you know 3 relevant quotes which have lots of analysis/language techniques then that's more than enough to give you ideas of what to write in your essay.

Quick Reply

Latest