The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by adegunt
HELPI want to study law basically, but I've no idea if I'll be able to, and obviously I'm trying to go to a Russell Group UniFor AS I got ABBB and my school are being absolutely unhelpful and have predicted me ABB at A2, even though they know I'm applying to unis that need AAA and Nottingham which wants A*AAThe uni's Im looking at areBirmingham - AAA
Warwick - AAANottingham - A*AAYork - AAA
and maybe Liverpool - ABBIs it smart for me to only have Liverpool which is a 'guarantee' uni bc I havent met the grade requirements for the other ones, or should I apply anyways?My personal statement is quite good I think, and for GCSE I got 5A*s 5As, and you best believe Im going to prepare so hard for LNAT so I can smash it. What do you think??

I think that no matter what your predicted grades are, you should look into having a safety (i.e. BBB for you), because you never know what the cohort of applicants will be like in any given year. My school tells us to apply to 2 'reaches', 2 'mids' and 1 'safety'. This will also allow you to have a nicer gap between your firm and your insurance.
Original post by adegunt
HELPI want to study law basically, but I've no idea if I'll be able to, and obviously I'm trying to go to a Russell Group UniFor AS I got ABBB and my school are being absolutely unhelpful and have predicted me ABB at A2, even though they know I'm applying to unis that need AAA and Nottingham which wants A*AAThe uni's Im looking at areBirmingham - AAA
Warwick - AAANottingham - A*AAYork - AAA
and maybe Liverpool - ABBIs it smart for me to only have Liverpool which is a 'guarantee' uni bc I havent met the grade requirements for the other ones, or should I apply anyways?My personal statement is quite good I think, and for GCSE I got 5A*s 5As, and you best believe Im going to prepare so hard for LNAT so I can smash it. What do you think??

Some schools want to be realistic and will only predict you the grade you got. Most people do not exceed their predictions anyway and A2s are harder. It's annoying but everyone at my school dealt with it.
Original post by ChancedTravels
UEA is a good uni!

Could be higher
Original post by Rhiannonjayne
I get where you're coming from yeah, but I've been to quite a few unis (including several higher ranking ones) but its the only place that I could actually see myself living there for 3+ years

Just dropping my two cents but law is really competitive and if you want to get into one of the top law firms it's much better to be a graduate of one of the more highly ranked ones. Keep UEA as a choice but I would advise changing the rest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just spent all morning travelling to York (left at 6, just come back) and the train was cancelled midway so couldn't make the open day! Very annoyed :angry::frown:

Anybody been?
Original post by antigone-
Just spent all morning travelling to York (left at 6, just come back) and the train was cancelled midway so couldn't make the open day! Very annoyed :angry::frown:

Anybody been?

Wow that sucks!

York (the city) is absolutely stunning, one of my favourite places in the UK, there's a bakery/coffee house on literally every road in town. The campus is modern but there's plenty of greenery and a pretty lake.

The Politics department is one of the biggest in the UK and specializes in joint hons, plus it has a great track record for getting students on the civil service fast stream.

My only complaint would be that the sandwich I had in one of the cafes on site was the worst I've had in my life.
Original post by constantino_chr
Wow that sucks!

York (the city) is absolutely stunning, one of my favourite places in the UK, there's a bakery/coffee house on literally every road in town. The campus is modern but there's plenty of greenery and a pretty lake.

The Politics department is one of the biggest in the UK and specializes in joint hons, plus it has a great track record for getting students on the civil service fast stream.

My only complaint would be that the sandwich I had in one of the cafes on site was the worst I've had in my life.

Already repped you on another thread so prsom haha

I'm still annoyed, there were loads of History sessions on today, including 3 mini lectures covering 3 different eras :frown: I was really excited to see the city, I've heard that it's beautiful!

Thanks for the summary! What flavour was the sandwich?! :tongue:
Original post by Nijuuninichi
Course: Economics
Universities: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bath
GCSE grades: 8A* 3A
AS grades (achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted): predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, French and Econ respectively
Extra curricular: Lots of reading, UNIQ Summer school, work experience at a bank, two essay competitions, Target 2.0, deputy head girl, watching Youtube lectures (classy I know)

I'm setting my sights a bit high because all of their offers are A*AA. But I've already sent off my application so there's nothing I can do now.:afraid:

LOL did you go to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics and pick the top 5 there? :P Congrats on your grades and I'm sure you'll get some nice offers! :smile:
Original post by antigone-
Already repped you on another thread so prsom haha

I'm still annoyed, there were loads of History sessions on today, including 3 mini lectures covering 3 different eras :frown: I was really excited to see the city, I've heard that it's beautiful!

Thanks for the summary! What flavour was the sandwich?! :tongue:

Well it was supposed to be chicken and bacon...

Original post by constantino_chr
Well it was supposed to be chicken and bacon...

The image isn't appearing but damnnnn how can you even screw that up haha

2 points off the next gem :awesome:
Course: economics and business with east european studies
Maths a*
Further Maths b but will retake to get an a
Russian, german a at AS
Greek a at A2 ( but I'm greek so it won't really count)
I will also provide certificates from the greek high school
Other choices: lse(finance?),cass(management),king's(management, manchester/strathclyde(management)
What do you think? Anyone else applying for econ&business with EE studies??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsConnor_
LOL did you go to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics and pick the top 5 there? :P Congrats on your grades and I'm sure you'll get some nice offers! :smile:

Pretty much! It was probably not the wisest choice, but why not go for the best?!
I am regretting not having an insurance, but I've come to accept it now. :sadnod: I hope I get some nice offers too!

What are you applying for?
Original post by Nijuuninichi
Pretty much! It was probably not the wisest choice, but why not go for the best?!
I am regretting not having an insurance, but I've come to accept it now. :sadnod: I hope I get some nice offers too!

What are you applying for?

I'm sure you'll at least get some offers with your grades (and perhaps all :wink:). I'm looking to apply for chemistry at Bath, Warwick, Durham, Imperial and one other (still undecided on Oxford although probably won't apply).
Course: Medicine
Universities: UEA, Kings, Hull-York and Queens Belfast!
GCSE grades: 8A* and 5A
AS grades (achieved): AAAB
A2 grades (predicted): A*AA
Extra curricular: House Captain, National Swimmer, K+, Nottingham Summer School, volunteering at Refugee Centre and EPQ.
Other: I'm a young carer :smile:

Can't believe its our turn to apply to University..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by itsConnor_
I'm sure you'll at least get some offers with your grades (and perhaps all :wink:). I'm looking to apply for chemistry at Bath, Warwick, Durham, Imperial and one other (still undecided on Oxford although probably won't apply).

Hey, if you don't know what to put for fifth, go for it! I just didn't want to leave myself wondering whether I could get in or not.

Good luck deciding your final choices! :smile:
Course: Computer Security (and potentially forensics)

Universities: Cardiff, USW, UWE, De Montfort (haven't decided on a fifth one)

GCSE's: 4As, 5Bs and 2Cs

AS grades (achieved): AABB
A2 grades (predicted): AAB

Extra things: Started a cyber security course, also done work experience in this area
Course : Biochemistry (with year in industry)
Universities : Bristol, Exeter, Manchester, Bath/UCL, Warwick
GCSE Grades : 5A*'s, 7A's
AS grades: AABB
A2 predicted grades : A*A*A in biology, geography and chem
Extra Curricular : Week spent at UCL in the cell and dev bio dept; Cambridge masterclass; online course on Cancer; time spent helping younger kids with maths/chem :smile:
course: geography
uni: edinburgh, soas, nottingham, qm, ucl (maybe)
gcse: 7A/A*s, 3Bs
AS: AABD
A2 [predictions]: AAC

tbh not sure if ill even get offers because of my C prediction and the offers are AAB-ABB .. but what do you guys think?
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: physics
Universities: Oxford, Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham, Leicester
GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A
AS grades (predicted/achieved): 4 As, 1 C
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): predictions unknown
Extra curricular: lots of random stuff cba to list
Other: "
Course: Politics and Sociology
Universities: Bath(Social Sciences), Exeter, York, KCL(Religion, Politics and Society), Bristol
GCSE grades: 6A's 5B's
AS grades (achieved): AABC
A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A
Extra curricular: Deputy Head Boy, Jazz Band, Political party membership and volunteer, two doses of Law work experience, debating, seminar attendance, local paper articles
Original post by Cal-lum
Course: Politics and Sociology
Universities: Bath(Social Sciences), Exeter, York, KCL(Religion, Politics and Society), Bristol
GCSE grades: 6A's 5B's
AS grades (achieved): AABC
A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A
Extra curricular: Deputy Head Boy, Jazz Band, Political party membership and volunteer, two doses of Law work experience, debating, seminar attendance, local paper articles

Wow
Original post by simbasdragon
Just a quick question, how did you make your personal statement fit english lit and english lit and lang courses?

hey I didn't really focus on the language: I basically talked about my EPQ which is based on the figure of the fallen woman in victorian literature and then talked about the importance of close textual analysis. also i do latin so i went on about translation and word choice. that was about it tho, sry! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending