The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ranayounis
Oh good luck on Wednesday, fingers crossed for you! And yeah three of mine need it too so it does put a little more stress on the whole application process. I actually didn't prepare that much for it I did the two practice tests and a lot of the essay questions. I guess if you need more practice than that you can do more but I felt okay with what I'd done. The best thing is you get tons of time. I took my time doing the multiple choice bit and still had about 20 minutes at the end to go over everything.

What scores were you averaging at on the practice papers?
Original post by OliverGarnon
Hi! I've applied for law at Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol and Exeter! My LNAT is on the 14th (really late because of my unorganised test centre). Quite apprehensive of the exam because 4/5 of my universities ask for it - if I mess up then my only option is Exeter (if they accept me haha). How is your final year going so far and what are your predictions?

Oh good luck! I'm already nervous as it is with 3 of my universities needing the LNAT but I'll have my fingers crossed for you :smile: and with the exam, I think the deadline for Oxford is 20th anyway so don't stress too much about it being late, you're getting it in with 6 days to spare.

I take IB so I'm predicted a 43. They were going to predict me a 44 but I asked them to predict me a 6 in one of my HLs because it's a new syllabus and we have no clue how it will go and I don't want to look worse when I drop and 43 is good enough anyway. My final year is going alright so far thank you! Trying to stay on top of all my coursework so I don't stress out too much. How about you? What college have you decided on?
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
What scores were you averaging at on the practice papers?

I got a 26 in the first one and a 29 in the second :smile:
Course: Law (with German Law)
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick & Bristol
GCSE grades: 9A*s, 1A and Distinction* in BTEC
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAABB
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A*A*A*
Extra curricular: editor of school newspaper, debate club, NCS, local politics group, wider reading, EPQ
Other: work experience, part-time job
Reply 584
Original post by miacat
My application was received by my uni's on the 1st of October. And Management primarily, (Business Management at Liverpool and Business and Management at Glasgow) but it is all the same really in terms of titles. How about you? :biggrin:

I've submitted my UCAS to my school but they haven't sent it off yet. I'm just hoping to hear back from unis relatively fast!! :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Anyone for earth sciences?
Reply 586
I'm applying in this month of October to study Law in 2016. Basically, I did the LNAT's, and although I think it went well, obviously I don't find out for a while. Does the essay part focus on content over punctuation and grammar? Because I wrote 450 words and had no time to edit, but from what I did write (moral correctness and utilitarianism) I believe I did pretty well. Anyways, I have a predicted 38 in IB, and so I was thinking of applying to 2-3 LNAT uni's out of my 5 choices in case I did not do as well as I though. Would anyone be able to offer perspective?

1) Oxford/Durham
2) Bristol/Nottingham
3) Exeter
4) Queen Mary/Lancaster
5) Reading/East Anglia
Course: Law
Universities: King's College London, UCL, Bristol, Newcastle, Liverpool
GCSE's: 10A*'s, 1A and Distinction
AS Levels: AAABB
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A
Extra: debating, work experience at criminal solicitors, work experience with human rights organisation, volunteer girl guiding leader, tutor and mentor, prefect, sixth form committee, subject representative, netball and hockey school team
I'm applying for Classics at Oxford (Corpus Christi), Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, and Exeter... fingers crossed! My CAT is on the 4th of November.
Guys I'm retaking AS Math this October session
where do i mention this?
it's already included in my reference but do i need to put it into the education section of my UCAS application too?
*I'm from Ireland so we do Junior Cert and Leaving Cert instead of GCSE's and A-Levels :smile: *
Course: Medicine
Universities: Oxford, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Aberdeen
Junior Cert Grades (Achieved): AAAAAAAAAA
Leaving Cert Predicted: AAAAAAAA
UKCAT: 6740 & Band 1
Extra Curricular: Model United Nations, Tennis, Golf, Hockey, Write for School Magazine, Done Bronze level of Gaisce (equivalent to Duke of Edinburgh)
Other: Work Experience, Chemistry International Summer School in Ireland and Germany, Background Reading, School Prefect
Hi everybody, any linguistics applicants here?

I have applied to:
Oxford
UCL
Edinburgh
Lancaster
Newcastle

I sent off my application two days ago on the 6th and now I am just waiting for the UCL questionnaire (and possible offers)!
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Law
Universities: Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham, Cardiff, Southampton
GCSE's: A*A*A*A*A*AAAA
AS Levels: AAAA
Predicted A2: A*A*A
Just wondering what Uni's people are applying to and what offers they have received! I'm applying to Exeter, Bath, Cardiff, York and Swansea for Mathematics!
Original post by Beckyloud
Just wondering what Uni's people are applying to and what offers they have received! I'm applying to Exeter, Bath, Cardiff, York and Swansea for Mathematics!

There's already a big thread for this so I've merged yours into it - here's the OP :biggrin: Loads of useful information here :smile:
Course: Land Economy, Environmental Policy with Economics, Environment and Development, Economic Studies and Global Sustainable Development, International Development

Universities: Cambridge, LSE (2x), Warwick, King's College London

GCSE's: 2A*s, 4As, 2Bs (did them in one year, learned English in that year (international student))

Predicted IB grades: 40 points, 776 HL

Extra: Economics Society, leading food club, school prefect, work experience at sewer rehabilitation firm, food committee, reading books + The Economist, Gold D of E
Reply 596
Course: History
Universities: Oxford, Exeter, Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield
GCSE grades: 11xA*
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAAA (achieved)
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A*A*A* (predicted)
Extra curricular: Head Girl, run debating club, school magazine, grade 8&5 in instruments, orchestras, choirs, sports teams, DofE, volunteering, lectures, trips, documentaries, reading etc...
Original post by HassanAftab
Anyone for earth sciences?

Me!
Reply 598
hi guys, which University has a better (national and international) reputation for Politics, Durham or Kings?
Applied yesterday and I've just got an offer from Cardiff Law!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending