The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
No, it's a contract between you and the uni. If you fulfill the conditions of your offer - they HAVE to take you.

Your statement is correct for near misses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought for like Oxford and Cambridge and some others an exam has to be taken also, and they can be picky? Apologies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mp2305
I thought for like Oxford and Cambridge and some others an exam has to be taken also, and they can be picky? Apologies

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're talking about for maths - some unis require a certain grade in STEP papers, but I don't know of any other courses with requirements outside A2 results. But again, that's included in the terms of the offer they give you so I wouldn't say that they're being "picky", per say - that's just what they offer on.
Original post by ellsie98
I think you're talking about for maths - some unis require a certain grade in STEP papers, but I don't know of any other courses with requirements outside A2 results. But again, that's included in the terms of the offer they give you so I wouldn't say that they're being "picky", per say - that's just what they offer on.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: Animation and Game Design
Universities: Southampton Solent, Portsmouth, Bradford, Edinburgh or Bournemouth
GCSE grades: -
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AABB
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): - (hope AAAB)
Extra curricular: Piano grade 5, grade 8 next year :P, twice national champion in acro gymnastics, selected in the national team (Spain) three international podiums, and over 15 first places. Work experience in advertising and design, and some digital design jobs.

Other: QUESTION! are this universities good? do you recomend them? should I look for any other one?:tongue:
Course: modern languages (French, German and Mandarin Chinese*)
Universities: Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Cambridge. Had offers from 4/5 so far but not holding out much hope for Cambridge!
Got AABB at AS and predicted A*AA (and an additional A* for EPQ) this year.
Can't wait to start uni!

*would only also study Chinese if I go Newcastle (my fave uni)
Original post by Ximena Roldan
Universities: Southampton Solent, Portsmouth, Bradford, Edinburgh or Bournemouth
Extra curricular: Piano grade 5, grade 8 next year :P, twice national champion in acro gymnastics, selected in the national team (Spain) three international podiums, and over 15 first places. Work experience in advertising and design, and some digital design jobs.

Other: QUESTION! are this universities good? do you recomend them? should I look for any other one?:tongue:

My brother went to portsmouth for the same course and he loves it!
Original post by Ximena Roldan

It's great to see you're considering the University of Bradford! if you'd like any specific information about the course, university or city please do get in touch. Good luck with your current studies and best of luck with the application process :smile:
Course: Law
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Leeds, Newcastle
GCSE grades: 4 A*'s 6 A's
IB predicted score: 40
Extra curricular: debating, volunteering at an autism center, four sports teams, shadowing at a law firm

My application went off 2 weeks ago, is it likely that I will have to wait for all applications to go through before being considered?
Original post by cmaclennan
Course: Law
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Leeds, Newcastle
GCSE grades: 4 A*'s 6 A's
IB predicted score: 40
Extra curricular: debating, volunteering at an autism center, four sports teams, shadowing at a law firm

My application went off 2 weeks ago, is it likely that I will have to wait for all applications to go through before being considered?

That very much depends on each university's policy, and within that, the department policies. Durham and Oxford are known for being notoriously slow, but Leeds and Newcastle tend to make offers before the January deadline.

Law is a very popular subject and most people do have to wait for a considerable amount of time before receiving an offer, so don't worry if you've not heard anything yet. Those grades are amazing so you have every chance!!

Best of luck. :biggrin:
I applied on the 15th October and have received an email from all universities apart from Aberdeen to confirm that they have received my application and are considering it. I study Law, Psychology and English Combined. Government and Politics at AS level but I dropped it.

Course: Law LLB
Universities: Lancaster, Uni of Manchester, Aberdeen, Leeds, Leicester

GCSE grades:1 A*, 4 A's, 6 B's, 2 C's (A's in Maths and English)
AS grades: predicted: BBBC achieved: A (Law) A (Psychology- resitting Research Methods G541 to get higher UMS points) B (English- but in one unit i got 100 UMS and in the other only 58 so resitting unit 2) B (Politics)

A2 grades predicted: A*AA

Extra curricular: Law Academy, Mock Trial Club, Bar National Mock Trial, English Gifted and Talented, Pathways to Law programme, Lancaster University Summer School on Law and Criminology

Other: work experience at Kings Chambers in Manchester, also at Hill Dickinson (solicitors firm) and then with a criminal law barrister in Preston, Silver DofE, Volunteering for Charity, interpreting in Magistrates court, police station and local hospital for family friends and others

I can't wait to go to uni!!!!! So nervous about offers though! Good Luck to everyone!!1
Original post by ryanroks1
That very much depends on each university's policy, and within that, the department policies. Durham and Oxford are known for being notoriously slow, but Leeds and Newcastle tend to make offers before the January deadline.

Law is a very popular subject and most people do have to wait for a considerable amount of time before receiving an offer, so don't worry if you've not heard anything yet. Those grades are amazing so you have every chance!!

Best of luck. :biggrin:

Thanks that's really useful :smile: Should help me stop worrying haha!
Can you apply for university's with higher entry requirements than you got in AS? are you likely to get offers? I got ABCE last year, however dropped two subjects ( the e and c grades) and am fast tracking and am predicted AAB/ABB. I got the A grade in the subject I want to study at university and really want to go to southampton but the entry grades are AAB/ABB, am I likely to get an offer?
Original post by CharlotteEm1998
Can you apply for university's with higher entry requirements than you got in AS? are you likely to get offers? I got ABCE last year, however dropped two subjects ( the e and c grades) and am fast tracking and am predicted AAB/ABB. I got the A grade in the subject I want to study at university and really want to go to southampton but the entry grades are AAB/ABB, am I likely to get an offer?

If your predictions meet the entry reqs, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering if anyone has had an offer from York St John's? It's the only UNI I'm waiting for a reply from!
First offer from Kent!
Thanks that's really useful :smile: Should help me stop worrying haha!

I take the IB as well and if your school has not put in the predicted grades or reference yet, the application will not go through. And the IB is horrible, I am going to drop to only my hl's and take A levels as well :smile:
Original post by Futuretory123
I take the IB as well and if your school has not put in the predicted grades or reference yet, the application will not go through. And the IB is horrible, I am going to drop to only my hl's and take A levels as well :smile:

Thankfully, I know that my application has gone through. I have received acknowledgement emails from all 5 of my uni choices!

Yes I don't blame you, it's very stressful! Can't wait for it to be over:frown:
Thankfully, I know that my application has gone through. I have received acknowledgement emails from all 5 of my uni choices!

Yes I don't blame you, it's very stressful! Can't wait for it to be over:frown:

Oh alright, I have gotten 1 unconditional and acknowledgements from the rest :smile:
Original post by Futuretory123
Oh alright, I have gotten 1 unconditional and acknowledgements from the rest :smile:

That's awesome, good luck with the rest :smile:
Had a conditional offer from Manchester on Tuesday and an interview for Lancaster for an unconditional offer w/ scholarship a few hours ago! Really over the moon! I waited about 2 weeks for my first offer, but others had some within like 24 hours, so don't stress guys! It will be okay! :biggrin:
Good luck to you all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending