The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uz25
But i can't find any other science based courses that arn't practical based other than nursing, midwifery, audiology, pharmacy and optometry.

I know this is nothing to do with this topic but:
Would a vaccum flask be an example of a heat transfer used in industries.

And what would the limitations of a short and thin rod and a rod that is fat in regard to heat transfer... please reply asap

You seem really mixed up and it feels like you're asking the same questions over and over in different forums until someone tells you what you want to hear. You don't NEED to go straight to uni, but you do need a clear idea of what's best for you. Why not spend some time visiting universities or researching?
Reply 21
Original post by lledrith
You seem really mixed up and it feels like you're asking the same questions over and over in different forums until someone tells you what you want to hear. You don't NEED to go straight to uni, but you do need a clear idea of what's best for you. Why not spend some time visiting universities or researching?

My thoughts exactly, you should do this Uz25
Original post by Uz25
But i can't find any other science based courses that arn't practical based other than nursing, midwifery, audiology, pharmacy and optometry.

What sort of practical work are you referring to? Do you mean pure lab based practical work? Because those careers that you've listed still require practical work... I can imagine that pharmacy has a deal of lab based work, but hopefully a pharm student can clear this up for you.

BTW, are you a GCSE student? A-level?
Original post by TheStudent18
What sort of practical work are you referring to? Do you mean pure lab based practical work? Because those careers that you've listed still require practical work... I can imagine that pharmacy has a deal of lab based work, but hopefully a pharm student can clear this up for you.

BTW, are you a GCSE student? A-level?

Btec student. Doubt I'm ganna do pharmacy. I'm Considering Teaching. Just ganna try to get some work placement done.... .
Original post by Uz25
Btec student. Doubt I'm ganna do pharmacy. I'm Considering Teaching. Just ganna try to get some work placement done.... .

Fair enough. :smile: Both are good careers!

Getting a work experience placement can be a tough task, so ask everywhere!!
Fair enough. :smile: Both are good careers!

Getting a work experience placement can be a tough task, so ask everywhere!!

Hehe thanks :smile: . I know so many declined. I'm considering solicitor but im not a good debater and u can't get work experience in that area plus law is hard
Original post by Uz25
Hehe thanks :smile: . I know so many declined. I'm considering solicitor but im not a good debater and u can't get work experience in that area plus law is hard

Do something that you know you will enjoy! It took me a little while to fully settle on medicine, but now I can't think of doing anything else! I'm genuinely excited to start med school. :yep:

So if you think teaching will give you the same feeling, go for it. If not, take a gap year and arrange some work experience in every area you feel you may be interested in. Also check out careers fairs.
Original post by Uz25

Also, I'm fairly sure you can get work experience in a law firm. You may not do much while you're there, but I think it's possible because one of my friends who applied to law this year had some work experience.
Also, I'm fairly sure you can get work experience in a law firm. You may not do much while you're there, but I think it's possible because one of my friends who applied to law this year had some work experience.

Thanks for your advice :smile:. I'll do some research :smile: listen do u take alevel chem
Original post by Uz25
Thanks for your advice :smile:. I'll do some research :smile: listen do u take alevel chem

Sorry for the late reply.

No problem, any more questions give me a message.

Yeah - I do take A-level chemistry. I'd highly recommend it - really interesting!
I appreciate that selecting the correct University and course can be a stressful and sometimes confusing process. I’ve had a quick scan through this thread and can see the University of Bradford was mentioned and as a result I thought I'd quickly bring your attention to our Pharmacy MPharm course in the hope that I can provide some assistance and clarification.

Applicants are usually required to achieve 320 UCAS points with 220 UCAS points coming from Chemistry and one other Science subject. The remaining 100 UCAS points can come from one other non-specific subject.

We do also consider BTEC applicants. BTEC applicants are required to achieve a DDD from the BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science with the following units: Maths and Stats for Science Technicians or Mathematical Tools in Science and Using Statistics; plus 4 Chemistry units all at Distinction. BTEC applicants are also required to obtain an A-level Chemistry at grade B.

Further information about our Pharmacy MPharm course can be found at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/courses/view/?c=pharmacy-mpharm-4-years

You may also be interested to know of our Open Days planned for 2015 - Saturday 4 July and Saturday 3 October. Open Days are the perfect way to get a feel for the University, meet some current students and talk with our academics about the courses, take a tour of the campus and visit our amazing new accommodation. For more details and to book a place visit - www.bradford.ac.uk/openday/

If any of you have any specific concerns or queries relating to our courses or the University of Bradford please feel free to get in touch! I'm also more than happy to resolve any queries any of you have about applying to University in general.
Original post by naany98
I got a C in English language and an A in maths. will I still have the chance to get into pharmacy?

Yes. Check out : Wolverhapton, Brighton, Aston, East Anglia and DeMontfout.
Hey guys! :smile: I'm a first year pharmacy student at Aston...good luck for your exams and feel free to ask me any questions :biggrin:
Apart from volunteering at pharmacy related places, how else can I show my interest? I've thought about books but what kind?
Original post by yt7777
My thoughts exactly, you should do this Uz25

Lol thanks for advice. I have previously researched but ill research more and arrange for work experience.
Original post by DarkMask09
Apart from volunteering at pharmacy related places, how else can I show my interest? I've thought about books but what kind?

Tbh its not all about what you've read and things like that, nowadays its more about experience and understanding how the role of a pharmacist is changing. So keep up with the volunteering cos that looks brilliant on personal statement plus its pharmacy related so even better, and little things like read about pharmacy in the news, up to date knowledge, legislation is always changing. I would recommend going on the royal pharmaceutical society website and reading the news and reading any pharmacy related magazines/journals. But make sure that its basic things, not learning how some new drug was developed and not having a clue about it! Haha hope I've helped! :biggrin:
Original post by awesomearps
Tbh its not all about what you've read and things like that, nowadays its more about experience and understanding how the role of a pharmacist is changing. So keep up with the volunteering cos that looks brilliant on personal statement plus its pharmacy related so even better, and little things like read about pharmacy in the news, up to date knowledge, legislation is always changing. I would recommend going on the royal pharmaceutical society website and reading the news and reading any pharmacy related magazines/journals. But make sure that its basic things, not learning how some new drug was developed and not having a clue about it! Haha hope I've helped! :biggrin:

Ok. I'll make sure i'm all up to date with everything. I haven't actually found somewhere that will have me :s-smilie:, but after the exams there'll be more time to look round. Thanks for the help.
Original post by DarkMask09
Ok. I'll make sure i'm all up to date with everything. I haven't actually found somewhere that will have me :s-smilie:, but after the exams there'll be more time to look round. Thanks for the help.

No worries :biggrin: good luck with your exams and feel free to message/quote me if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to help! :smile:
I'm a first year pharmacy student, well just finished first year at Portsmouth, feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by temi.h.o.
I'm a first year pharmacy student, well just finished first year at Portsmouth, feel free to ask any questions :smile:

can i do pharmacy with bbb??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending