The Student Room Group

Does pharmacy have a lot of spaces open for clearing after results day?

Hi, does anyone know if many places go out for pharmacy undergraduate in clearing?

I am worried about my uni place for September and I am just making sure I will have a decent chance really.

I am an offer holder already and have put a firm and insurance choice down so I am aware I cannot use UCAS extra.

Does anyone know what unis usually have pharmacy clearing places available usually over the years?

I will have to wait till results day, if I don’t get into my firm I would rather do pharmacy than what my current insurance choice is. I am being a worrier really but just wanted to ask, thank you xx
Original post by Tinyy7
Hi, does anyone know if many places go out for pharmacy undergraduate in clearing?

I am worried about my uni place for September and I am just making sure I will have a decent chance really.

I am an offer holder already and have put a firm and insurance choice down so I am aware I cannot use UCAS extra.

Does anyone know what unis usually have pharmacy clearing places available usually over the years?

I will have to wait till results day, if I don’t get into my firm I would rather do pharmacy than what my current insurance choice is. I am being a worrier really but just wanted to ask, thank you xx

According to the statistics on the UCAS web site, there were 4,675 accepted applicants for Pharmacy in the 2022 application cycle:

Pharmacy 2022 - Acceptance Route.png

By playing with the "Acceptance route" drop-down, we can break these numbers down as:

110: Direct Clearing - where the applicant has applied via Clearing without an initial application through the main scheme
115: Extra
870: Main scheme Clearing - where an applicant was unsuccessful in the main scheme (i.e. applied before 30 June) and subsequently found a place using Clearing
2,825: Main scheme firm choice
395: Main scheme insurance choice
245: Other main scheme choice
115: RPA

So, the answer to your "if many places go out for pharmacy undergraduate in clearing" question is, "Yes, 980 of them did last year." I don't know an accurate was to establish which universities these Clearing places were at.

(You can find the tool which allows you to pull up all this type of data here.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
According to the statistics on the UCAS web site, there were 4,675 accepted applicants for Pharmacy in the 2022 application cycle:

Pharmacy 2022 - Acceptance Route.png

By playing with the "Acceptance route" drop-down, we can break these numbers down as:

110: Direct Clearing - where the applicant has applied via Clearing without an initial application through the main scheme
115: Extra
870: Main scheme Clearing - where an applicant was unsuccessful in the main scheme (i.e. applied before 30 June) and subsequently found a place using Clearing
2,825: Main scheme firm choice
395: Main scheme insurance choice
245: Other main scheme choice
115: RPA

So, the answer to your "if many places go out for pharmacy undergraduate in clearing" question is, "Yes, 980 of them did last year." I don't know an accurate was to establish which universities these Clearing places were at.

(You can find the tool which allows you to pull up all this type of data here.)

Thank you so so much! I appreciate your time this was really helpful xxxx
Reply 3
Ignore all 'last year' statistics etc.

This year there has been a massive increase in Pharmacy applications - at some Unis up by 45%.

This means there are likely to far fewer clearing places than in any previous years.
There might be spaces at places like Lincoln, De Montfort, Sunderland, Huddersfield etc but until Results Day, no-one knows for certain.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Ignore all 'last year' statistics etc.

This year there has been a massive increase in Pharmacy applications - at some Unis up by 45%.

This means there are likely to far fewer clearing places than in any previous years.
There might be spaces at places like Lincoln, De Montfort, Sunderland, Huddersfield etc but until Results Day, no-one knows for certain.

Thank you for this information xx
Original post by Tinyy7

Hi @Tinyy7,

Thank you @McGinger for the mention.

As McGinger mentions it does often vary from year to year, but there is a UCAS tool which shows how many places are left on each course for clearing as each university is required to submit these numbers. Clearing officially opens on 5 July so if you go here on this day, you should be able to check if there are any pharmacy places in clearing before results day: https://www.ucas.com/events/2023-entry-clearing-opens-413116

This gives you time to think over your options and pull together a plan :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer, UoH
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @Tinyy7,

Thank you @McGinger for the mention.

As McGinger mentions it does often vary from year to year, but there is a UCAS tool which shows how many places are left on each course for clearing as each university is required to submit these numbers. Clearing officially opens on 5 July so if you go here on this day, you should be able to check if there are any pharmacy places in clearing before results day: https://www.ucas.com/events/2023-entry-clearing-opens-413116

This gives you time to think over your options and pull together a plan :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer, UoH

Hi,

I am an offer holder for another course which I have firmed, its a conditional place, and I have an insurance choice of biomed at uni of Leeds but I would rather do pharmacy than biomed which I realised after I had submitted ucas and it was too late to change.

Because of this, does this mean I cannot enter the clearing page to see pharmacy places on 5th July because I have 2 offers? This is my first time using ucas, I am a gap year applicant so dont have my colleges support so this is all very confusing to me so I would greatly appreciate any help.

I had messages saying dont wait till results day to get a pharmacy offer as last year I got AAB in a levels and im resitting the B grade this year so I do have the grades for pharmacy already hence why people are saying that. However I was confused because If I started ringing unis now if they gave me an offer/ interview then offer or something wouldnt it get automatically rejected on ucas because I have already picked a firm and insurance?

So I have to wait til results day to see my resit grade, if I got a B again and didnt get into my firm course then I would decline my place at Leeds and then would I enter clearing? Is it only at that point I can see if there’s pharmacy places left?

My worry is due to the increase in pharmacy places I have a low chance at getting into a good uni through clearing for pharmacy…

Sorry for this longgg message any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by University of Huddersfield
you should be able to check if there are any pharmacy places in clearing before results day

This does not tell anyone if any Clearing spaces will be available on August Results Day, or how many - as by definition, it depends on A level results and how many current offer holders meet their offer conditions.

There is no magic way of 'knowing' or predicting what will be in Clearing in any year - like everyone else, the OP will just have to wait for Results Day.
Original post by Tinyy7
Hi,

I am an offer holder for another course which I have firmed, its a conditional place, and I have an insurance choice of biomed at uni of Leeds but I would rather do pharmacy than biomed which I realised after I had submitted ucas and it was too late to change.

Because of this, does this mean I cannot enter the clearing page to see pharmacy places on 5th July because I have 2 offers? This is my first time using ucas, I am a gap year applicant so dont have my colleges support so this is all very confusing to me so I would greatly appreciate any help.

I had messages saying dont wait till results day to get a pharmacy offer as last year I got AAB in a levels and im resitting the B grade this year so I do have the grades for pharmacy already hence why people are saying that. However I was confused because If I started ringing unis now if they gave me an offer/ interview then offer or something wouldnt it get automatically rejected on ucas because I have already picked a firm and insurance?

So I have to wait til results day to see my resit grade, if I got a B again and didnt get into my firm course then I would decline my place at Leeds and then would I enter clearing? Is it only at that point I can see if there’s pharmacy places left?

My worry is due to the increase in pharmacy places I have a low chance at getting into a good uni through clearing for pharmacy…

Sorry for this longgg message any help is appreciated :smile:

Hi, don't worry about the long message.

Because of your situation of holding those offers, it does complicate things slightly.

You do have a couple options but it may be the case that in both situations, you may have to decline your current offers.

Option 1 is like you say- start ringing around Universities now and seeing if they have places on their Pharmacy courses and are still taking applications. We are still taking applications for courses up until 4th July just before clearing opens and that may be the case for a few of the Universities' you are interested in studying pharmacy with. If they still are taking applications and still have places left on the course (which you should be able to ask over the phone) you could then decline your offers and make new applications to these new universities before clearing opens. This allows you to potentially receive an offer for Pharmacy before results day and if you then get your results/meet the offer, you don't have to worry about clearing. If you don't meet those grades on results day, your university may be flexible on one grade for you an accept you or you may then go to clearing which is option 2.

Option 2: Wait until results day and start calling super early all universities you're interested in studying Pharmacy at and with your grades so far you could be a very strong candidate, and an even better if you then get AAA. Keep in mind that sometimes Pharmacy courses don't end up going into clearing because the course numbers are already filled so this option involves a little bit of frantic calling around on results day. You could also potentially luck into a place for Pharmacy on results day if someone else massively misses their grades for universities that have already filled their Pharmacy course.

Option 1 allows you to set expectations if there are course places now and get an application in and have clearing as a back up option. Whereas Option 2 involves you going all in on clearing.

We wish you the best of luck with your application regardless of which option you choose and at whatever institution :smile:

Best wishes.
Lewis

UoH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending