The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilyanaa
Hey guys!
I am in a great dilemma.
I'm a girl from Bulgaria.I have the highest possible marks in school throughout all the years and in all the subjects.
I liked a couple of universities and now I cant choose 5 out of them.The uni-s are:
Bath,Cardiff,Manchester,Nottingham,East Anglia,Reading,Sunderland,Portsmouth,King's ,Bradford.
For me it is essential that the uni will not only provide me education on a high lvl, but also support me and assist . I am a bit stressed ,cuz that's gonna be something completely different from my life atm.I would not like it if I end up in a undermining social life university.
So which 5 uni-s should I pick?
:colondollar:

First of all, it depends what kind of person you are and what you like. I applied to Bath, Cardiff, East Anglia, Robert Gordon's and then Edinburgh (but Edinburgh was for Pharmacology), and now I go to East Anglia. I mean you can choose based on university ranking but it does shift from year to year and honestly in pharmacy the prestige doesn't matter as much as it does in many other subjects. UEA's pretty good at supporting you, my advisor has been really good over the last three years I've been here, but everyone has different experiences. I know my friends doing English and History have found it very different, and in Pharmacy it can depend a bit on who your student advisor is but most people I know really like theirs.

UEA has a lot of societies, and I ended up picking it in the end because Norwich is quite a small city, and it's got a lot of poetry events and writing events which I like, but it also has theatre and some other fun things going on, we get quite a few people coming for concerts as well (Taylor Swift was here in the summer for the Radio 4 Big Weekend festival which was awesome). There's still a night life if that's what you like, but there's a lot of pubs if you prefer that to clubbing. If you prefer bigger cities and going clubbing more often you're probably better somewhere like Nottingham or Manchester and maybe Cardiff. Norwich has got a reputation for being 'out of the way' but honestly, it's 2 hours from London, and you can get to pretty much anywhere by going from there, or there's an airport in Norwich that flies to Amsterdam I think? Plus there's buses and stuff so it's not like you're cut off from civilisation! But I might be saying that because I'm moving to Cornwall, which is very out of the way. Plus I grew up in Aberdeen so I don't really understand why people complain about Norwich being 'so far away'.

Bath was nice when I went to visit, I have a friend now who goes there, and Bath and UEA are the only pharmacy schools that I know of at the moment that give you the chance to do your final year project abroad if you'd like to (I'm typing this from Finland :P) but I might be wrong. Bradford's the only place right now that does a 5 year course where the pre-reg is split between 4th and 5th year, which a lot of people think is really good, I guess it maybe takes the pressure off pre-reg a little bit? Other universities are trying to move towards that so I guess it's a good thing, but not if you don't want to do your pre-registration year and don't want to go into pharmacy afterwards. Cardiff is a gorgeous city, if you like rugby that is definitely the place to be, I do remember there being some rather interesting societies there, they seemed nice there when I visited although that was 4 years ago now. But because Cardiff and Bath are on the west coast the weather isn't as good as it is on the east coast. I don't know much about most of the other universities, I met a few people in first year from Manchester, and your first year grades count for a little percentage of your final grade there, which a lot of other uni's don't, which is either a good or a bad thing depending on how well you do in first year, it puts the pressure on you to work but if you're struggling to adjust to a new place it's maybe not so great? But I don't know. Nottingham's one of the top pharmacy schools, and believe me they like to tell people. I didn't want to be in a big city for 4 years, so it wasn't for me, but other people like it there, so really it depends on who you are as a person.

So I might be biased, because I don't know about the other universities, but I would say at least apply to UEA and probably Bath and Cardiff, and Nottingham as well I guess, but other people can tell you more about what the other universities are like. Good luck though, I spent ages trying to decide on where to go, but I was lucky because I'd visited the universities before, and at the end of the day when I imagined myself at uni I imagined myself at UEA, and I love it there. It hasn't all been fantastic but that was mostly due to problems outside of university and my advisor has always been really supportive of me emailing him constantly because I'm worried about something.
Thanks for all of the info. you gave me.
I took a look at the uni-s and I think I will go for Cardiff,Manchester,Nottingham and Sunderland.Why did you apply to Robert Gordon? I hesitate between R.G and Porthsmouth.
Reply 102
hey guys! I'm applying to hertfordshire, ucl, kcl, manchester and brighton :biggrin:

for 2016 entry

in the middle of writing my PS at the moment
kinda stuck lol
Thanks for all of the info. you gave me.
I took a look at the uni-s and I think I will go for Cardiff,Manchester,Nottingham and Sunderland.Why did you apply to Robert Gordon? I hesitate between R.G and Porthsmouth.

(Not that I'm biased, but UEA is way cooler than Nottingham)

Well, I live in Aberdeen, so it was kind of a 'If anything happens and I have to stay at home at least I have a place nearby' thing. RGU is quite a nice uni actually and they have a new campus which I think(?) is cool (I've never seen it but it was finished in 2012/2013 so it's pretty new) and some of my friends go there and they like it, if the university was in Edinburgh I might have gone there, but I spent 12 years in Aberdeen and the thought of spending another four years there was not awesome. I mean Aberdeenshire is gorgeous, but the city itself is grey, and wet, and cold, and it rains a lot. I mean I spent long enough there to get fed up of it so maaaaaybe I'm not the best person to ask on that particular subject, I have a friend who has family up there who loves it, and lots of my friends stayed there for uni and enjoy it, it's just not my favourite place in Scotland.

But honestly, UEA and Norwich are infinitely more fun than Aberdeen.
Hey I'm applying for pharmacy aswell at Nottingham, Birmingham, UEA, Bath and Reading.
Is it always an advantage to have higher predicted grades than the requirements if the rest of your application isn't very strong?
For my AS I got AABB for the subjects I'm doing at A2 (including general studies at a B)
I'm predicted A*AB (still trying to turn that B prediction into an A) but only do need AAB for all the courses - would this put me at an advantage, or would the uni's hold me to it and I must get them grades?
I got BCCC at AS and applying to dmu, reading, aston, hertforshire and medway. Predicted grades should be around ABB-BBB
Original post by tcameron
Hey I'm applying for pharmacy aswell at Nottingham, Birmingham, UEA, Bath and Reading.
Is it always an advantage to have higher predicted grades than the requirements if the rest of your application isn't very strong?
For my AS I got AABB for the subjects I'm doing at A2 (including general studies at a B)
I'm predicted A*AB (still trying to turn that B prediction into an A) but only do need AAB for all the courses - would this put me at an advantage, or would the uni's hold me to it and I must get them grades?

I think it's an advantage, but they might not necessarily require you to get those grades to get in, at least with UEA. My situation was a bit unusual compared to most of the others in my year, because I went to school in Scotland and it's a different system, and in Scotland you can get into uni with the equivalent of AS, which are Highers. I was doing Advanced Highers which is like Scottish A2 and was predicted AAA but I got an unconditional based off my Higher grades. And Bath offered me AA at Advanced Higher rather than AAA. So in my case I think it was an advantage, but they didn't say 'You must get your predicted grades'. As long as you meet the offer once you get it is the main thing I think. Also UEA is often more lenient than other universities if you miss your predicted grades, sometimes they still let you in :smile:
I want to apply to Manchester, Cardiff, Bath, LJMU and UCLAN. I got ABBB in my AS (geog,chem,bio) and I'm dropping psychology. My predictions so far are AAB but I really want my chemistry teacher to predict me an A although he's very strict. Will getting a B prediction in chemistry effect the chances of me getting an offer? I have a weeks experience in community pharmacy and I did a Nuffield placement at the school of pharmacy at Manchester with one of the tutors, which might help.
Original post by Coriolantus
(Not that I'm biased, but UEA is way cooler than Nottingham)

Well, I live in Aberdeen, so it was kind of a 'If anything happens and I have to stay at home at least I have a place nearby' thing. RGU is quite a nice uni actually and they have a new campus which I think(?) is cool (I've never seen it but it was finished in 2012/2013 so it's pretty new) and some of my friends go there and they like it, if the university was in Edinburgh I might have gone there, but I spent 12 years in Aberdeen and the thought of spending another four years there was not awesome. I mean Aberdeenshire is gorgeous, but the city itself is grey, and wet, and cold, and it rains a lot. I mean I spent long enough there to get fed up of it so maaaaaybe I'm not the best person to ask on that particular subject, I have a friend who has family up there who loves it, and lots of my friends stayed there for uni and enjoy it, it's just not my favourite place in Scotland.

But honestly, UEA and Norwich are infinitely more fun than Aberdeen.

Thanks again! U've been very helpful. :smile:
Reply 109
I currently studying chemistry biology and business at a level I got BBB at as level I was wondering if I could get in to pharmacy with these subjects
I got BCC (B in biology) at as level. Can I still get in to pharmacy? I'm predicted ABB. I want to apply to:
1) DMU
2) Huddersfield
3) Wolverhampton
4) LJMU
5) undecided
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeaAndTextbooks
I got BCC (B in biology) at as level. Can I still get in to pharmacy? I'm predicted ABB. I want to apply to:
1) DMU
2) Huddersfield
3) Wolverhampton
4) LJMU
5) undecided
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AH143
I currently studying chemistry biology and business at a level I got BBB at as level I was wondering if I could get in to pharmacy with these subjects

Do check the grades boundaries and speak to admissions tutors, pharmacy is very competitive these days and admissions won't just be looking at grades but also looking at other things that can set you apart like experience, volunteer etc., good luck from a second year pharmacy student :smile:
Hi, thanks for all the useful information. I am currently editing my personal statement and I was wondering if it's correct to say that pharmacy is part of the pharmaceutical industry? I just don't want anything to be wrong... :s-smilie:
Thanks again! U've been very helpful. :smile:

No problem!
Original post by DarkMask09
Hi, thanks for all the useful information. I am currently editing my personal statement and I was wondering if it's correct to say that pharmacy is part of the pharmaceutical industry? I just don't want anything to be wrong... :s-smilie:

Totally right. Not many pharmacy graduates in the UK go into the pharmaceutical industry because the focus tends to be more clinical compared to other parts of mainland europe, but the people who work in industry tend to be a mix of medicinal chemists, pharmacologists, biologists, pharmacists, maybe a few other fields depending on the medicine in question. Engineers too. But yeah, there's an opportunity for pharmacy students to go and work in the pharmaceutical industry, it's part of our arena after all.
Totally right. Not many pharmacy graduates in the UK go into the pharmaceutical industry because the focus tends to be more clinical compared to other parts of mainland europe, but the people who work in industry tend to be a mix of medicinal chemists, pharmacologists, biologists, pharmacists, maybe a few other fields depending on the medicine in question. Engineers too. But yeah, there's an opportunity for pharmacy students to go and work in the pharmaceutical industry, it's part of our arena after all.

That's good, at least I'm not wrong, but do you think I will be at a disadvantage if I plan to go into the pharmaceutical industry instead of being a pharmacist. That's what the degree is aiming at... right?
Original post by DarkMask09
That's good, at least I'm not wrong, but do you think I will be at a disadvantage if I plan to go into the pharmaceutical industry instead of being a pharmacist. That's what the degree is aiming at... right?

Not at all! If you look like you've got a plan for after you graduate, that's good, and they'll appreciate it. I said I wanted to work in industry or hospital after I graduated. Which is still true, because my pre-reg will be in hospital, as long as exams go well, but maybe one day I might try and move into the pharmaceutical technology and formulations side of the industry, which I prefer to the med-chem side. Formulations are fun. Most people disagree with me though.

But no, it won't count against you at all, quite the opposite. They're still related, the degree trains you up for quite a broad range of things really and then after you graduate or do pre-reg you'll learn more about a specific area once you're working in it, like the industry often requires a PhD if you want to work in it, and hospital will train you in the clinical diploma. :smile:
Not at all! If you look like you've got a plan for after you graduate, that's good, and they'll appreciate it. I said I wanted to work in industry or hospital after I graduated. Which is still true, because my pre-reg will be in hospital, as long as exams go well, but maybe one day I might try and move into the pharmaceutical technology and formulations side of the industry, which I prefer to the med-chem side. Formulations are fun. Most people disagree with me though.

But no, it won't count against you at all, quite the opposite. They're still related, the degree trains you up for quite a broad range of things really and then after you graduate or do pre-reg you'll learn more about a specific area once you're working in it, like the industry often requires a PhD if you want to work in it, and hospital will train you in the clinical diploma. :smile:

Thanks! :h: I was getting worried cause I wasn't sure if I really wanted to be a normal pharmacist, I quite like chemistry and lab work, but I didn't want to lie at the same time.
First of all, it depends what kind of person you are and what you like. I applied to Bath, Cardiff, East Anglia, Robert Gordon's and then Edinburgh (but Edinburgh was for Pharmacology), and now I go to East Anglia. I mean you can choose based on university ranking but it does shift from year to year and honestly in pharmacy the prestige doesn't matter as much as it does in many other subjects. UEA's pretty good at supporting you, my advisor has been really good over the last three years I've been here, but everyone has different experiences. I know my friends doing English and History have found it very different, and in Pharmacy it can depend a bit on who your student advisor is but most people I know really like theirs.

UEA has a lot of societies, and I ended up picking it in the end because Norwich is quite a small city, and it's got a lot of poetry events and writing events which I like, but it also has theatre and some other fun things going on, we get quite a few people coming for concerts as well (Taylor Swift was here in the summer for the Radio 4 Big Weekend festival which was awesome). There's still a night life if that's what you like, but there's a lot of pubs if you prefer that to clubbing. If you prefer bigger cities and going clubbing more often you're probably better somewhere like Nottingham or Manchester and maybe Cardiff. Norwich has got a reputation for being 'out of the way' but honestly, it's 2 hours from London, and you can get to pretty much anywhere by going from there, or there's an airport in Norwich that flies to Amsterdam I think? Plus there's buses and stuff so it's not like you're cut off from civilisation! But I might be saying that because I'm moving to Cornwall, which is very out of the way. Plus I grew up in Aberdeen so I don't really understand why people complain about Norwich being 'so far away'.

Bath was nice when I went to visit, I have a friend now who goes there, and Bath and UEA are the only pharmacy schools that I know of at the moment that give you the chance to do your final year project abroad if you'd like to (I'm typing this from Finland :P) but I might be wrong. Bradford's the only place right now that does a 5 year course where the pre-reg is split between 4th and 5th year, which a lot of people think is really good, I guess it maybe takes the pressure off pre-reg a little bit? Other universities are trying to move towards that so I guess it's a good thing, but not if you don't want to do your pre-registration year and don't want to go into pharmacy afterwards. Cardiff is a gorgeous city, if you like rugby that is definitely the place to be, I do remember there being some rather interesting societies there, they seemed nice there when I visited although that was 4 years ago now. But because Cardiff and Bath are on the west coast the weather isn't as good as it is on the east coast. I don't know much about most of the other universities, I met a few people in first year from Manchester, and your first year grades count for a little percentage of your final grade there, which a lot of other uni's don't, which is either a good or a bad thing depending on how well you do in first year, it puts the pressure on you to work but if you're struggling to adjust to a new place it's maybe not so great? But I don't know. Nottingham's one of the top pharmacy schools, and believe me they like to tell people. I didn't want to be in a big city for 4 years, so it wasn't for me, but other people like it there, so really it depends on who you are as a person.

So I might be biased, because I don't know about the other universities, but I would say at least apply to UEA and probably Bath and Cardiff, and Nottingham as well I guess, but other people can tell you more about what the other universities are like. Good luck though, I spent ages trying to decide on where to go, but I was lucky because I'd visited the universities before, and at the end of the day when I imagined myself at uni I imagined myself at UEA, and I love it there. It hasn't all been fantastic but that was mostly due to problems outside of university and my advisor has always been really supportive of me emailing him constantly because I'm worried about something.

As someone that goes to Nottingham and has visited Manchester uni the campuses are nothing alike. Manchester is right in the middle of the city and didn't feel like a campus to me at all. Nottingham has an absolutely beautiful campus with gorgeous gardens and a big lake where you can go boating, there's only a few roads going through it and they're really quiet. The city centre is 15/20 minutes away by bus :smile: Travel links are brilliant so if you do want to leave campus, the uni has free buses to take you to it's other campuses, and then the buses and tram that take you into the city centre are only £1. The train station is only 10 minutes away by tram too
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by demetria
As someone that goes to Nottingham and has visited Manchester uni the campuses are nothing alike. Manchester is right in the middle of the city and didn't feel like a campus to me at all. Nottingham has an absolutely beautiful campus with gorgeous gardens and a big lake where you can go boating, there's only a few roads going through it and they're really quiet. The city centre is 15/20 minutes away by bus :smile: Travel links are brilliant so if you do want to leave campus, the uni has free buses to take you to it's other campuses, and then the buses and tram that take you into the city centre are only £1. The train station is only 10 minutes away by tram too

Awesome. I've never been to either, well, I've visited the city in Manchester. But I mean Nottingham and Manchester are considerably larger cities than UEA is what I was trying to say, not that they're the same, just that in terms of living in a more lively city I guess you might prefer one of those, or Birmingham or the London uni's. Maybe Wolverhampton since it's close enough to Birmingham to go to a lot of clubs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending