The Student Room Group

How relevant is this section to the IB exams

Back again!
Anyway i was skim reading through the Biology SL subject syllabus, i've noticed, along with understanding, guidance,application, aims, there's things like, nature of science, international-mindedness, ToK and Utilization.

Can someone please explain to me exactly what this means and content-wise, how relevant it is to taking the papers on 2017? I know it's a reallyyy long way but i'm pretty nosy! I have yet to buy a few past papers from the IB store to get a glimpse of what kind of questions they ask etc etc so this section has me worried.

Ill screenshot to give an idea..
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 8.26.36 PM.png
So far as I could tell, the TOK stuff is basically useless except maybe for the actual TOK essay. It's mainly to get you thinking etc.

The utilisation part is more important, you might get asked something like "How is such-and-such used in the treatment of 'x' disease?" (worded differently but you get my point).

The international-mindedness is mainly important for ethics imo, like with stem cell research you might get an extended answer question on the ethics/arguments for and against.

Of course, this is all for the 2015 papers, so I'm not sure how much it'll have changed by 2017, but hope this helps anyway!
Hi! I'm taking may 2016 examinations so I'm in the first class with the new syllabus you're showing in the screenshot!
You only need to know understanding and applications.
Understandings means the things you have to state in a test/exam that need to be exactly that for you to get a mark (this is paper 1 stuff but you will need to include it in other papers as well).
Applications are things you need to know how to work with because you will be given questions that you have never seen before where you will have to apply that logic to answer (this is paper 3 stuff).
The other two are things for the teachers, they might tell you them just for general knowledge but will not be in the examinations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending