The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Judaism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Bismarck
I've seen the term "Hebrews" used to describe the Jewish people. To say that an Israelite is a Jew is like saying that an Athenian is a Greek. Don't forget Judea by the way. It was more powerful than Israel and existed for a longer time period.

Just about everyone has a system of hierarchy. I'm sure there were elders and wise men who had greater power than your average Jew. Then again, it wasn't really an issue because Jews lived under someone else's control until shortly before Judaism was created. Matrilineal descent existed before the Torah was given to the Jewish people. One was a member of the Jewish nation if his/her mother was Jewish.

I don't see how that explains how the term Jew was assigned to people before the advent of Judaism. I know about this whole Jewish nation and after Judaism was created - one is Jewish if their mother is a Jew, but I want to know before that. (you said that the Jewish nation was created after Moses, after the advent of Judaism and so on)

Are you saying the elders and wise men said who were Jews? I don't see how Jews living under another group's control explains anything there, really.

Because all Israelites were Jews, but not all Jews were Israelites. Also see point about Judea above.

Ok then.

Because the concept of interlinked Jewish tribes existed before the Jewish religion. You were a Jew if you were a member of one of the twelve tribes. A Jew is someone descended from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

So the rule that Abraham's, Issac's and Jacob's mothers weren't Jewish didn't apply? You may have to make some theological references here, I can't say I know too much of the myths surrounding these individuals.

My guess is that it had to do with the animal being unclean, which is why other animals that have features of insects are also banned.

I take it that this is your guess and no such reference is made in the Torah then?
*titanium*
Is that suposed to be a Joke? 12 tribes is taken as fact and so for you to be disproving this, i guess you must have gone and done original research as part of your RE course in order to hypothasize that.

What? I didn't do any research in RE. I don't know much about Judaism that is why i came to this thread. I don't know much about the tribes and I don't disapprove anything i don't know about. All I know is they were taken somewhere near Iraq.
Bismarck
Jewish people existed from Abraham. A Jewish nation did not exist until most Jews fled Egypt. A lot of the confusion has to do with the use of the word nation, which in ways means nation and in some ways state.

In close knit communities, everyone knows who each other's parents are...

God made a covenant with Abraham (for being a monotheist), thus making him the first member of a Jewish nation. His wife became a Jew by merit of being a monotheist and wife to Abraham (you can't exactly have a ceremony when there are no other Jews). Isaac was thus Jewish. Isaac's wife became Jewish the same way, which means Jacob was Jewish, and so on.

It's something to do with eating cud and having split hooves. I'm not an expert on ancient biology.

I guess that pretty much answers that question. I think this is one of the few times you've actually been helpful - so thank you.
Tibia
What? I didn't do any research in RE. I don't know much about Judaism that is why i came to this thread. I don't know much about the tribes and I don't disapprove anything i don't know about. All I know is they were taken somewhere near Iraq.

He used the word 'disprove' in a strange way, seeing as you said if you remember correctly back to RE etc.
Evil-Tuna
I thought it was dominated by those individuals at that time. Obviously, lending your support to any cause most of the time does not have to be made based on your own religious, ethnic, racial etc preferences etc. (not sure if preferences if the word I should be using there. :s-smilie: )

Ok, I appreciate that it has a religious significance for you and the conclusion I come to is that at least for you, the creation of a homeland is highly based on religious significance. And the Muslim holy land is Mecca sure. Shias and Sunnis go there, even though its Sunni dominated. Israel could still be a holy land for Jews no matter who dominates it etc. Mecca isn't a homeland though, so it's quite a different example.

During the time period of Herzl etc. Zionism tended to be 'Secular Zionism' yes. However, the concept of Zionism itself doesn't correlate to any particular branch of religion/ethnicity etc. as I stated above. Indeed, around Herzl's era was Rav Kook, who was the founder of 'Religious Zionism' and, as indicated by his title, was a Rabbi.

You catch my drift though - due to the reasons explained above we can only have Israel as our homeland.
Israel could still be our holy land and indeed homeland, no matter who controls it; however not all those who would wish to govern Israel would be willing or even accepting of that fact and would be rather unfriendly towards the Jews wanting to visit or live in Israel.

Tibia
If i remember my RE classes most of these Tribes are missing. There were only two tribes and the name Judaism comes from the biggest one Judea. Are the missing going to come back?

I presume you're referring to the '10 Lost Tribes'. Some of them are believed to have been ''found'' e.g. the Ethiopian Jews. The rest will return/be found when the Messiah comes.
Helzerel
During the time period of Herzl etc. Zionism tended to be 'Secular Zionism' yes. However, the concept of Zionism itself doesn't correlate to any particular branch of religion/ethnicity etc. as I stated above. Indeed, around Herzl's era was Rav Kook, who was the founder of 'Religious Zionism' and, as indicated by his title, was a Rabbi.

You catch my drift though - due to the reasons explained above we can only have Israel as our homeland.
Israel could still be our holy land and indeed homeland, no matter who controls it; however not all those who would wish to govern Israel would be willing or even accepting of that fact and would be rather unfriendly towards the Jews wanting to visit or live in Israel.

I presume you're referring to the '10 Lost Tribes'. Some of them are believed to have been ''found'' e.g. the Ethiopian Jews. The rest will return/be found when the Messiah comes.

Well I don't how prominent that group was, you'd need to say for more clarification.

I'm not sure about the comparison, but I get the point your making. (but I'm also bearing in mind that you're a religious Orthodox Jew)
Bismarck
I thought you said "during the time of Helzerel". You had me worried for a moment. :p:

Maybe this is another to add to her list in her sig? Or maybe not.:s-smilie:
Bismarck
I thought you said "during the time of Helzerel". You had me worried for a moment. :p:

:rofl: I wish! I'm not that important! :p:

Tuna
Well I don't how prominent that group was, you'd need to say for more clarification.

Which group?
tuna

I'm not sure about the comparison, but I get the point your making. (but I'm also bearing in mind that you're a religious Orthodox Jew)

Nuhuh. My religious level has no bearing on the subject at hand - I'm a Zionist hence I'm pro-Israel.
As said before - Zionism isn't correlated to one's religious level. It's become labelled as such due to its popularity amongst varying people but the theory of Zionism isn't so. e.g. Carl is Zionist but he isn't a religious Jew...he's not even Jewish!!
Carl is Zionist but he isn't a religious Jew...he's not even Jewish!!
Well, you say that...
Agent Smith
Well, you say that...
You're one to talk. :wink:
That's what I was referring to :p:
Agent Smith
That's what I was referring to :p:

:biggrin: Was ittttt? Thought you were insinuating that Carl probably is (just like every individual with partial Zionist tendencies) Jewish.
Yes; but in an ironic way, referencing my own clearly Jewish nature.
Agent Smith
Yes; but in an ironic way, referencing my own clearly Jewish nature.

Aye but I was remembering how you often post every so often on ''t'other side'' so as to appear not so biased. Hence I didn't wish to use you as an example lest you not want me to.
Helzerel
:rofl: I wish! I'm not that important! :p:

Which group?

Nuhuh. My religious level has no bearing on the subject at hand - I'm a Zionist hence I'm pro-Israel.
As said before - Zionism isn't correlated to one's religious level. It's become labelled as such due to its popularity amongst varying people but the theory of Zionism isn't so. e.g. Carl is Zionist but he isn't a religious Jew...he's not even Jewish!!

The erm ... ''kook'' group. (I'm sorry, but that really is an unfortunate name)

I'm talking in relation to the original question. I'm not sure at which bit you jumped in at, but its the real link between religious vs cultural foundations for israel etc. I was questioning the religious aspects of its creation, but then got told I'm ignoring cultural aspects of Judaism. I don't know how that directly answers anything but 'tis the response I got. (and I still managed to say thank you at some point etc. I'm too nice, this has got to stop.)
I’m going to be asking this question in Ask a Jew, Ask a Muslim and Ask a Christian and if possible I’d like answers from the various perspectives in their own thread. It’s possible that the answers will be quite different:

Why does God no longer perform the great signs etc. that he used to?

(I’m not talking about the small things you may believe he does from day to day but about the truly epic things on the parting the Red Sea kind of scale.)
Nefarious
I’m going to be asking this question in Ask a Jew, Ask a Muslim and Ask a Christian and if possible I’d like answers from the various perspectives in their own thread. It’s possible that the answers will be quite different:

Why does God no longer perform the great signs etc. that he used to?

(I’m not talking about the small things you may believe he does from day to day but about the truly epic things on the parting the Red Sea kind of scale.)

Why not in the Ask An Atheist thread too? :biggrin: :p:
Evil-Tuna
The erm ... ''kook'' group. (I'm sorry, but that really is an unfortunate name)

I'm talking in relation to the original question. I'm not sure at which bit you jumped in at, but its the real link between religious vs cultural foundations for israel etc. I was questioning the religious aspects of its creation, but then got told I'm ignoring cultural aspects of Judaism. I don't know how that directly answers anything but 'tis the response I got. (and I still managed to say thank you at some point etc. I'm too nice, this has got to stop.)

You've just stumbled upon an In-Jew joke! All of his books are called "Kook Books" and a seminary founded upon his teachings makes huge jokes out of being a 'Kook school' - recently in a choir competition they all turned up in aprons and chef's hats! :biggrin:
Anyway, that's by the by - religious Zionism by individuals and small groups has always existed, however, it became a labelled recognised worldwide thing after Rav Kook. Mizrachi is the religious zionist movement and was founded in 1902. Bnei Akiva is the largest international religious Zionist movement and was started in 1929 in Israel (first English camp took place in 1939).
Hope that gives you a bit more info. :smile:

Aw no c'mon David..continue being nice please, it's such a change from everyone sniping at each other. You see - you got some answers by being nice...when people go round flaming and insulting each other they never get answers, thus ending up even more disgruntled. Ok?
Riight..so, what exactly is/was your original question? The religious grounds for the creation of the State of Israel? If so I can give you loads and loads of sources.
alasdair_R
Why not in the Ask An Atheist thread too? :biggrin: :p:

I figured asking an atheist about the nature of God would meet a rather predictable response.
Nefarious
I figured asking an atheist about the nature of God would meet a rather predictable response.

Hehe, hence :biggrin: :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending