The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Judaism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
What is the Jewish concept of God like? We always hear it is similar to Islam and Christianity but never in great detail...there must be a difference somewhere, no?

Also your holy scripture the Torah...when, where and how is this constructed? Was it sent down like the Qu'ran or is it a collection put together like man?

Thanks. :smile:
What is the Jewish concept of God like? We always hear it is similar to Islam and Christianity but never in great detail...there must be a difference somewhere, no?

Also your holy scripture the Torah...when, where and how is this constructed? Was it sent down like the Qu'ran or is it a collection put together like man?

Thanks. :smile:

Your first question is far too vague for me to even approach an answer, I'm afraid.

The Torah consists of three parts. The first is the Pentateuch (five books of Moses) that were dictated by God to Moses at the end of his life. The other two parts are the Prophets and Scriptures which were written a book at a time by various people and most were included in the Torah by the "Men of the Great Assembly" with some added later. These books were written with divine inspiration but, as far as I know, not dictated.
Tony, I can take some of the heat off you if you like and field a few questions :smile: it looks like fun!
Jonathan
Tony, I can take some of the heat off you if you like and field a few questions :smile: it looks like fun!

I hadn't noticed any heat but there's nothing stopping you from answering as well as me. If I come along and you've already answered as I would have I'll just slink away. But, being Jewish, we'd probably give three different answers between us :biggrin:
UniOfLife
But, being Jewish, we'd probably give three different answers between us :biggrin:

Undeniably true :biggrin:
imtired
So i don't know much about judaism, but i know somebody who was apparently converting to judaism because of marriage. First of all i always though that your mother (or is it father?) had to be jewish for you to be able to be jewish and that you couldn't convert. I've heard of people 'converting' in the sense that they become cultural jews or christians/muslims etc. because of their family (which i think makes no sense because signing a piece of paper to declare your religion when you don't believe in it is pointless, you can just celebrate holidays etc. without pretending to be religious but never mind that). So, can you become jewish and is there any difference between a convert and somebody that is born jewish?

Yes you can convert and no there is no difference between a convert and a born Jew.

I rather suspect that the myth that you cannot convert to Judaism was spread about by anti-Semites who feel the need to peddle the idea that Jews are a unique race and perhaps racist themselves to help justify their anti-Semitism. I cannot see any other reason for this idea.
Why are you religiously Jewish?
Ethelred the Unready
Why are you religiously Jewish?

Is that aimed at someone in particular or all Jews generally? :confused:
Anyone, I guess. I've often thought that Judaism doesn't actively seek converts, and so I'm curious as to why people have Jewish beliefs. Were they convinced by someone else? Family tradition? Family tradition but then recognise that you believe it to be true? Personal experiences? Any historical or philosophical argument for why you chose Judaism, or continue to follow Judaism? This follows vaguely on from the 'believing they are God's chosen people' discussion, I guess...if one searches hard enough for that connection...
Ethelred the Unready
Anyone, I guess. I've often thought that Judaism doesn't actively seek converts, and so I'm curious as to why people have Jewish beliefs. Were they convinced by someone else? Family tradition? Family tradition but then recognise that you believe it to be true? Personal experiences? Any historical or philosophical argument for why you chose Judaism, or continue to follow Judaism? This follows vaguely on from the 'believing they are God's chosen people' discussion, I guess...if one searches hard enough for that connection...

I was born into a religious Jewish family and from what I have learnt and seen I am convinced of the truth of Judaism as a religion.
Ah, okay; fair enough. I was just curious to see how people came to believing in Judaism given that it doesn't seem to promote itself as much as Islam or Christianity.
Reply 1391
Do practising Jews look upon ethnically Jewish apostates with anything other than typical non-Zionist Jewish apathy? Are they still considered as "full" Jews?

Also, does the constant mentioning of the Holocaust and Jews in general cause irritation? Does Reductio ad Hitlerum turn the Holocaust into a gimmick?

Sorry if these have been asked before.
Marlowe
Do practising Jews look upon ethnically Jewish apostates with anything other than typical non-Zionist Jewish apathy? Are they still considered as "full" Jews?

Also, does the constant mentioning of the Holocaust and Jews in general cause irritation? Does Reductio ad Hitlerum turn the Holocaust into a gimmick?

Sorry if these have been asked before.

In Judaism a Jew is a Jew for life and converting to a different religion is meaningless. What this means is that someone born Jewish or who converts properly to Judaism and then converts to something else is viewed as a Jew who has sinned and who will be punished accordingly.

On the second point it depends on context. Appropriate mentioning of the Holocaust is appropriate as it is an important event in the history of mankind and should be used as a tool to understand actions and events. Godwin's Law is, I think, a little separate from the Holocaust. What is more concerning is the increase in recent years of Holocaust Denial or "revisionism".
Reply 1393
Do you have any doubts about your religion? If another religion came up with an unquestionable fact that said that there was only one god, their god et etc would you continue to believe?
chooka
Do you have any doubts about your religion? If another religion came up with an unquestionable fact that said that there was only one god, their god et etc would you continue to believe?

In the scenario you provide of course I would change. If indeed someone came along with an iron-clad proof that no-one could refute then everyone in the world would switch to that religion.

But that isn't going to happen until the end of time. Of course I have doubts, if someone has no doubts about their life choices then they're not thinking about those choices. But my doubts are that perhaps there is no God not that perhaps some other religion is correct.
Reply 1395
UniOfLife
Godwin's Law is, I think, a little separate from the Holocaust. What is more concerning is the increase in recent years of Holocaust Denial or "revisionism".

I think any Hitler/Nazi-related fallacy is usually only ever used in argument if a person intends to evoke what is considered the height of evil (considered so, surely, because of the Holocaust).

The only other question I can think to ask is probably something pretty obvious to most people, but I've never really thought about it much. Is there any discrimination, prejudice, antipathy, whatever, between the different subgroups of Jews? Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Mizrahi, any others (are there others?), is what I mean.
Marlowe
I think any Hitler/Nazi-related fallacy is usually only ever used in argument if a person intends to evoke what is considered the height of evil (considered so, surely, because of the Holocaust).

The only other question I can think to ask is probably something pretty obvious to most people, but I've never really thought about it much. Is there any discrimination, prejudice, antipathy, whatever, between the different subgroups of Jews? Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Mizrahi, any others (are there others?), is what I mean.

Not really no. The different groups have different traditions about some things but I don't notice any antipathy or prejudice at all. That's not to say there isn't friendly teasing between groups because there is. But it is not meant or taken in a prejudicial manner.
I just watched a good film, sunshine, and at the end there was a very interesting scene in which a speech was given by several generations of fathers to their suns.

One of the ideas that came up was the idea of a "sacred duty to study" not only the Holy Scriptures, but also secular knowledge.

To what extent do you think this is true, and do you believe that it is a reason for the professional and academic success of the Jewish community.
SolInvictus
I just watched a good film, sunshine, and at the end there was a very interesting scene in which a speech was given by several generations of fathers to their suns.

One of the ideas that came up was the idea of a "sacred duty to study" not only the Holy Scriptures, but also secular knowledge.

To what extent do you think this is true, and do you believe that it is a reason for the professional and academic success of the Jewish community.

Studying is a hugely important aspect of Judaism and it is likely that the tradition of studying has helped Jews achieve disproportionately great things in academia. Whether there is a particular duty to study secular knowledge is doubtful.
UniOfLife
Studying is a hugely important aspect of Judaism and it is likely that the tradition of studying has helped Jews achieve disproportionately great things in academia. Whether there is a particular duty to study secular knowledge is doubtful.

I see.

The last bit of the film really touched me, it was like I was being spoken to directly. Coming from a Hindu Brahmin (what you would call Cohens) family, what you say of Judaism is largely true of us as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending