The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hey cel, add me too :smile:
Reply 41
So what did everyone learn today? Aromatic chem for me.
I learnt about electrical potential? of transition metals. And which the colour change, it was amazing! It involves equations etc. It squeezes and twists my mind. lol :biggrin: xxx
Reply 43
I have learned about electropotential of metals and non-metals and other molecules in general, but haven't looked at that of transition metals - what so special about the ep of transition metals?

Actually we are learning about transition metals soon. :smile:
Transition metals are pretty cool stuff i reckon. All to do with colours and equations and redox reactions! It fits in to the stuff i learnt in fondation. Amazing, you would like it :biggrin:
Reply 45
stary.eyes
Transition metals are pretty cool stuff i reckon. All to do with colours and equations and redox reactions! It fits in to the stuff i learnt in fondation. Amazing, you would like it :biggrin:

Looking forward to it! :wink:

All I know about them are that they have unfilled d-orbitlas. And yes they do have coloured compounds. And they and their compounds could also catalysts.

Hmm... I'm sure there is more about them - they have a block of their own! :biggrin:
can i join please?!! im just doing my individual investigation for Salters A2. Kinetics basically - investigating the rate of reaction between manganese (or do i mean manganate, can never remember) ions and oxalate ions - why oh why did my teacher have to give me the one noone had ever done before?! and the one that in the book it said about it "this reaction proved to be too difficult to follow, so X and X moved onto a different one"?!! argh!! :p:

anyway, to clarify, i like chem!
Learnt about ligands...or something

Cu2+ makes a funky blue jelly like substance :biggrin:. Cu(OH)2 or somethin
Reply 48
Can I join

^ you mean [Cu(H2O)6]2+ (aq)?

Btw -- was anyone else abused by this years round one Olympiad paper?? I'll be lucky to hit double figures!
in the first one..chems loosing by one vote :frown:
Reply 52
Guys, you might also like to join "The Science Society".

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=10
(scroll down to the middle)
hey, can I join? I loves Chemistry - will be going to St Johns in october to study it! Chemists will be the ones solving global warning, CFC pollution and all that jazz. After, Chemists have solutions! (The cheesiness stops here)
Reply 54
Are you serious? You're going to Oxford to solve global warming?

You have to realise reducing global warming with a lot of money (economists will know) saving a few people, is not efficient. You can use much less money to solve more immediate (also global) problems like malaria and AIDS.

Just my few cents.
Reply 55
I would dispute that - throwing money at AIDS isnt going to make it go away. We need talented medics/chemists/pharmacists and Natsics to work together to solve the problem, money will help, but talent is more needed.
Reply 56
Anyone doing or planning to do chemistry at uni?
Reply 58
After drawing so many benzene rings, I think I will be the best at drawing hexagons!! :p:
Reply 59
Hmmmm... hello to myself!

If any of you think this is too much chemistry, you can always join the general science thread as well:

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=334467

Latest