The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Imperial

I was looking at booking an open day at Imperial College London, where I was thinking of doing Computer Science, however they only have "Computing" (http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/open-days/book-your-place/)

Is there much/any difference between the two?
Original post by chumps52
I was looking at booking an open day at Imperial College London, where I was thinking of doing Computer Science, however they only have "Computing" (http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/open-days/book-your-place/)

Computing is Imperial's Computer Science degree.

They named it that because their course is quite hardware/engineering focused as well as the theory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Computing is Imperial's Computer Science degree.

They named it that because their course is quite hardware/engineering focused as well as the theory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great, thanks. So it's effectively the same qualification? I just wondered as apparently (eg here) CS is looked upon better than Computing.
Great, thanks. So it's effectively the same qualification? I just wondered as apparently (eg here) CS is looked upon better than Computing.

Imperial just wants to emphasize that their course is more engineering orientated than abstract...it's one the most highly regarded CS courses in the country.
Original post by Brubeckian
Imperial just wants to emphasize that their course is more engineering orientated than abstract...it's one the most highly regarded CS courses in the country.

Brilliant, thanks a lot!

I went to their taster day on 'Future Computing' yesterday, and I have to say it is pretty crazy what they're doing, and some of the research they have been doing/have in the works. They had technology in development which is similar to what is/can be used in driverless cars 10 odd years ago...

With regards to the course, as others have said Computing is Computer Science, just a different name.
Reply 6
I went to the Future Computing taster course as well!

And yeah, the computing course at imperial is more engineering based which I think is a good thing. For example, at other unis you learn about operating systems but at imperial you learn about them and you get to create your own OS. Pretty mad.

Only downside to imperial is the poor social life and severe lack of girls...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MFMCSP
thing is in london especially south kensington there's obviously going to be things to do and girls to meet, but if theres none in the uni i get you're point, i hope the boy girl ratio is better than it seems because its my second choice

I spoke to some of the students on the Taster day, and well... there are currently 4/5 girls doing the Computing course in each year lol (and apparently they're all fat).
Reply 8
Lool, yeah I spoke to one of the guys at the uni and he said it's like 85% guys and 15% girls... Sure you can meet people from other unis but I've heard that imperial generally don't mix a lot with the other London unis.

Party life as well is quite bad as well. Even one of the admissions lady I was talking to said that if you wanna party hard then imperial isn't for you. But she talked about the really good job prospects and industrial placements at imperial.

For me, it's deciding between imperials really good course but bad social vs Warwicks really good social but course which isn't as good as imperial..

Eh, I may not even get the grades to go to either :frown: Really want that A*AA prediction!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MFMCSP
thing is in london especially south kensington there's obviously going to be things to do and girls to meet, but if theres none in the uni i get you're point, i hope the boy girl ratio is better than it seems because its my second choice

Out of curiosity, whats your first choice? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending