The Student Room Group

overcomplicating bodybuilding

People overcomplicate this **** to the max. Its so annoying. I literally wasted lots of time trying to understand the **** from so-called fitness gurus and people on forums like BB.com mean and treating this **** like some sort of complicated science when it really isn't. Sometimes i feel that people overcomplicate this **** on purpose to keep aiming for great fitness like some sort of exclusive club (lol)

From thinking critically about this i've come to the conclusion a lot of people are confusing beginners with infornation overload and making people do too many 'exotic' exercises. Haven't a lot of people heard of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) or even quotes from Confucius or Einstein? I'm just so annoyed that from years of trying to understand and shift through all the crap and understand it, i can finally make some progress with a simple program.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated" - Confucius

"If you cant explain it simply then you don't understand it well enough" - Einstein

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
There are two extremes from what I've seen. One is as you say, the guys that have seen one too many Kai Greene videos and treat exercise programming, muscle feel, time under tension and all that as some kind of ancient art form that is the hidden key to gains. Then on the other hand you get the guys that oversimplify things by the way of saying something like "Yeah just do the big 3, get stronger and you'll get bigger" when there's more to it than that.

I like to think that I'm dead in the middle and have my balance right. I believe that we all respond differently to different things, some respond better to certain exercises or training volumes & frequencies than someone else might (though this generally applies much less to beginners, for whom pretty much anything sensible will work), and I also know that as a bodybuilder that there are parts of your body that just won't develop too readily without a bit of isolation work and so on. On the other hand, I know that the key to keeping the body growing is to train hard and increase overload over time, and you see a lot of programs that I feel really complicate the progression process when it can be so simple. The stimulus is what makes the muscle grow, adapt and get stronger, then you have to increase the intensity over time to force it to keep adapting, simples.
Yeah but what's better for hypertrophy 3x8 2x10 or 5x5, and how long should I rest between sets, and my hip hurts when I deadlift so I can substitute it with leg and biceps curls (3x12 or 4x8 btw?)
There is nothing that you can do to reach your genetic potential that people didn't know 60 years ago, You're right, it's not complicated.

Quick Reply

Latest