The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel History B - The Transformation of Surgery (Tuesday 16th June Paper)

Is anyone else doing this paper on Tuesday? If you are, please reply with some of your predictions or tips :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Is anyone else doing this paper on Tuesday? If you are, please reply with some of your predictions or tips :smile:

Hi I am, and my teacher recommends that we revise Lister, however I think that if you learn the individual factors such as War and opposition to ideas you will be fine.
Do you have any predictions?
Reply 2

I'm doing the paper! Tips are just to learn the factors and practice answering questions! You should be fine :smile:
Original post by matt4650
I'm doing the paper! Tips are just to learn the factors and practice answering questions! You should be fine :smile:

What are the factors?
Reply 4
War, Science, Technology and Opposition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I would say learn some of the key dates such as 1799 - laughing gas is encouraged by Humphry Davy to be used in surgery, 1846 ether used in America then in Britain, 1847 chloroform is used as an anaesthetic and 1853 Queen Victoria uses chloroform for the birth of her 8th child.. Also look at how surgery changed from pre 1850s (i.e. no anaesthetics, antiseptics or understanding in how to control blood loss - the main problems being pain, infection and blood loss) and then key factors and individuals :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah I agree! What about Hannah Greener dying in 1848 due to an overdose of chloroform?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah that would be a good one :smile:
Yeah I agree! What about Hannah Greener dying in 1848 due to an overdose of chloroform?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What will each question be? Like marks and how to answer?
Reply 9
1) 6 marks - make 2 inferences
2) 8 marks - artist/author impression
3) 10 marks - cross-referencing
4) 10 marks - content and reliability
5) 16 marks + 4 marks for SPaG - essay question - give balanced answer (argue both sides)

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) 6 marks - make 2 inferences
2) 8 marks - artist/author impression
3) 10 marks - cross-referencing
4) 10 marks - content and reliability
5) 16 marks + 4 marks for SPaG - essay question - give balanced answer (argue both sides)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So question 4 is usefulness?
Yeah it is but you should discuss both reliability and content of the sources to get top marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh my gosh finally a thread for my history exam! I swear no one else on here does Edexcel Medicine Through Time and Germany 1918-1945! 😊 I'm not sure what it will be on- but a good revision tip might be to split up the sections (into Anaesthetics, Bloodloss, Antiseptics, War and Technology) and give each of these a colour then make a timeline of key events and dates so you can clearly see when the key developments of these sections are (I haven't done this myself but I did for medicine and it proved really helpful for gaining a sense of chronology!) 😊
Original post by Morgan_
Oh my gosh finally a thread for my history exam! I swear no one else on here does Edexcel Medicine Through Time and Germany 1918-1945! 😊 I'm not sure what it will be on- but a good revision tip might be to split up the sections (into Anaesthetics, Bloodloss, Antiseptics, War and Technology) and give each of these a colour then make a timeline of key events and dates so you can clearly see when the key developments of these sections are (I haven't done this myself but I did for medicine and it proved really helpful for gaining a sense of chronology!) 😊

I know! I'm doing the exact same history exams as you, but I couldn't find a thread for surgery, so I thought I'd just make one :smile: What about splitting the topics into the three main problems of surgery - pain, infection and blood loss? :smile:
Does anyone have any practice questions?
Reply 15
Does anyone have any practice questions?

Try the edexcel website maybe?
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History%20B/2009/Exam%20materials/Question-paper-Unit-3-Option-3A-June-2014.pdf

And arrh!! I was under the impression it would be in the exact same format as the last two exams (Medicine & Germany).

Our teacher never gave us any question papers on this unit.

I'm very very nervous now -_-, guys what are the most important things we need to incorporate in our answers to get A* ?

I see the past exam paper, literally clueless -_+
Can someone tell me how to answer and what to include for each question? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the files to last year's paper if anyone wants them? I can email them to you guys if you want - just ask 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
we've been told the structure of the exam is no longer cross referencing for question 3 but is now a 'explain why using sources' and question 4 has changed from usefulness to reliability

it's annoying that there is no past paper examples of these questions..
What??? We haven't been told anything!! Do you have anymore information?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending