The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tibia
If people don't want secularism. Is their choice. Wtf is the point of having a democracy if the army decides in the end who you can govern you? That isn't democracy. That is the Army bullying the people.

Tony Blair might be a prick to the army. The soldiers have to live like rats and they don' have adequate equipments. He took them to Iraq for false reasons yet i haven't heard them threatening to take him out.

Edit: MLK was killed by an ex convict. Not by the government. It would have been to embarrassing. Especially during the unpopular Vietnam war.

Firstly, I think there is a huge difference between a government on the one hand that takes a country to a war which 45-55% of the public initially supported, alongside many countries of the world including the (superpower of the world, the) US, Australia, Netherlands and etc, and another government (having been elected with only 20% of the electorate) to completely ignore a countries constitution and change a Western-orientated secular nation into an Islamic Sharia nation.

Secularism in Turkey is like freedom of speech in the US. It is an untouchable and fundamental principle that cannot be violated or modified in any manner whatsoever.

Again, if you want to make a comparison between the army taking out a government in Turkey for attempting to violate the constitution and to create a Sharia state, I would be more inclined to compare it to a scenario such as the following; the US army topples a future US administration because it puts Orwellian restriction on freedom of speech.

Now, in an ideal world I would never be in favour of the army toppling any democratically elected government anywhere in the world, however, the situation in Turkey is rather different. The army is the most trusted public body, and is restrained enough to respect the peoples choice. Turkey has had an 'Islamic' government for the past 5 years, and the army has not threatened any takeover.

Latest

Trending

Trending