The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 (8700/1) - 23rd May 2024 [Exam Chat]

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 (8700/1) - 23rd May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam.
Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 23 May/ AM
Length: 1h 45m

Good luck!
Click here to find exam discussions for other GCSE subjects
(edited 1 month ago)
anyone got any predictions for q5 photo description?
no clue, hoping something interesting rather than something rlly random like a field
more nervous for timings😭
same I always run out of time
Original post by saffronarora
same I always run out of time

I would say do section A first. But make sure you leave at least 45-50 mins for your creative writing as it is half the paper and worth 40 marks in both papers, which can really boost ur grade up.
Original post by penguin54
no clue, hoping something interesting rather than something rlly random like a field
more nervous for timings😭

I hope its not inside tho its more of a pain to write abt im just aiming to do the narrative though cuz its more vague and less restricted
have u tried doing q5 first?
i always do 5 first then 1 then 2 then 4 then 3
do u usually do the story or the descriptive writing?? was thinking of going with descriptive but it depends on the picture
I normally do description cus its more adaptable imo
yeah im usually the same cuz there's no dialogue but some pictures r kinda hard to
i always do 5 first then 1 then 2 then 4 then 3
do u usually do the story or the descriptive writing?? was thinking of going with descriptive but it depends on the picture

I was thinking abt doing 4 before 3 like u do, does it help with time and the answers can be used again if the question limits are the same
I was considering trying it cuz I run out of time this mock also I didn't see we were supposed to write within lines so only on paragraph of mine was valid for q4 which was annoying but I still got decently high marks so I asked my teacher and she said even if I write 2 paragraphs of that standard id get abt full marks so im more relieved cuz I didn't want to try something new for my exam, but the reason why is probably cuz in my paragraphs I use 2 quotes cuz ik I struggle with time and I use an alternate point or analysis so I get 2 paragraphs in one really easily if that makes sense - its such a time saver for me since I just write so slow I do the same in lit and they dont have a problem if I just embed quotes from the extract into "my own quotes" instead of writing one whole paragraph for it so u half the writers intents and readers effect and context etc so it saves a lot of time

basically I normally pic narrative as u have a broader scope and I feel like I can write more freely u just have to make a small link to the title but if the narratives smth I don't really understand ill go for the description
ive only done description once but it was pretty good tbh u can write abt other stuff in ur description and just mention key features of the image to make it relevant
I also like to do description cuz its easier to shift perspectives but I can never tell if ive written enough for the description
yeah i find it's best for the time cuz 3 is the hardest one in my opinion so if i don't finish it then at least it's on the hardest one and usually on q3 whatever u can say is usually right but seems kinda limited and vague sometimes, so less is more but that means that i'd be able to do the best i can on the rest of them so yeah i've always done it that way and it makes total sense in my head lol :smile:
lots of ppl in my year only wrote a page and three quarters for the description but ppl who did stories wrote more because they left more lines in dialogue and also in more, shorter paragraphs to add impact so i wouldn't worry about how much you write, the examiner is more likely to lose interest if u just keep going on and on and on with little change in what ur writing so don't keep writing for the sake of it i just make sure i've included all the literary devices i want to (i have it set out so in paragraph 1 i want to include metaphor//semicolon//pathetic fallacy//alliteration etc.)
yeah i find it's best for the time cuz 3 is the hardest one in my opinion so if i don't finish it then at least it's on the hardest one and usually on q3 whatever u can say is usually right but seems kinda limited and vague sometimes, so less is more but that means that i'd be able to do the best i can on the rest of them so yeah i've always done it that way and it makes total sense in my head lol :smile:
lots of ppl in my year only wrote a page and three quarters for the description but ppl who did stories wrote more because they left more lines in dialogue and also in more, shorter paragraphs to add impact so i wouldn't worry about how much you write, the examiner is more likely to lose interest if u just keep going on and on and on with little change in what ur writing so don't keep writing for the sake of it i just make sure i've included all the literary devices i want to (i have it set out so in paragraph 1 i want to include metaphor//semicolon//pathetic fallacy//alliteration etc.)

yh tbh my story isn't that long it'd got short paragraphs but filled with techniques
honestly I just dont want to bore the reader which is another positive abt picking the narrative as u can write smth completely diff to others but description is based on the same thing
its likely the examiner will be more intrigued
yesss exactly
probs the best way to do it
yesss exactly
probs the best way to do it

thats what I was saying to my friends cuz one of our teachers was forcing ppl to write the descriptions so they could be different which is so stupid cuz its way easier to do a story so wouldn't u just want to do better than be different
Hey can anyone please help me mark my answer to a question 4 english language paper 1. I would really appreciate it!

Focus this part of your answer on the second part of the source, from line 19 to the end. A student said, ‘This part of the story, set in the hat shop, shows that the red-haired girl has many advantages in life, and I think Rosabel is right to be angry.’
To what extent do you agree? In your response, you could:
consider your own impressions of the red-haired girl
evaluate how the writer conveys Rosabel’s reactions to the red-haired girl
support your response with references to the text.

From lines 19 to 22, the writer portrays a different type of focus in this extract by introducing a well-privileged girl into the life of Rosabel. The writer does this by introducing a flashback in this part of the extract. The red-haired girl must have made a different type of impact on Rosabel as she was to remember her in such detailed descriptions. The writer does this by listing all the beautiful features of the red-haired girl in such a significant manner it almost makes Rosabel jealous. We learn that her eyes were “the colour of green ribbon shot with gold they had got from Paris last week.” This quote highlights on the aspect that the red-haired girl’s life was unimaginable and indeed what Rosabel had longed for. She had the advantage of a stress-free lifestyle, one that Rosabel had dreamed of for so long. This quote “gold they had got from Paris last week.” Indicates that the girl was so privileged to travel wherever she wished for at no expense. The noun “gold” signifies that they would travel anywhere across the world to purchase gold and they were privileged enough to be able to afford it at any time. This writer also shows that the red-haired girl is very privileged in life by indicating she was dropped off by a “carriage” at the door steps. So, therefore with this I strongly agree with the student’s statement.

Furthermore, the writer presents the reaction of Rosabel to be angry and resentful towards the red-haired girl heavily on the fact that she was very indecisive and could not make a decision on her own without asking for an opinion or some sort of clarification from Harry. The writer does this by introducing a dialogue in this part of the extract. The dialogue is between the red-haired girl and Harry who may been known as her butler or a significant other as we later learn they plan on going out to lunch. “what is it exactly I want Harry?” this quote indicates that the red-haired girl has most likely spent the day impulsively shopping and doesn’t have any accountability on what she spends her money on. The writer makes it clear in this part of the extract that the red-haired girl may have caused Rosabel to have this sort of towards her by frustrating Rosabel to look for a suitable hat for her while she continues to reject them. Therefore, this strongly reinforces the student’s statement.

From Lines 28 to 30 the writer uses short sentences into this part of the extract. The writer does this to create a feeling of tension and urgency to the readers. The quote “the girl glanced at Rosabel laughingly…have you got any hats like that” implies that Rosabel felt stressed out as they were “very hard to please” and finds a suitable hat for the red-haired girl. Therefore, I strongly agree with the student’s statement as Rosabel’s reaction is justifiable if she receives such treatment from her customers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending