The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Any proper pictures of The View by any chance?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by jenigma
Any proper pictures of The View by any chance?

I can do you one better... How about a video? :smile:

[video="youtube;_XjQxQ2azQI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=24&v=_XjQxQ2azQI[/video]

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
I can do you one better... How about a video? :smile:

[video="youtube;_XjQxQ2azQI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=24&v=_XjQxQ2azQI[/video]

Persephone

Thank you! Are the shared apartments any different then? Or quite similar in looks to the studio (minus the kitchenette)?
Original post by jenigma
Thank you! Are the shared apartments any different then? Or quite similar in looks to the studio (minus the kitchenette)?

I had a friend who lived in The View for her first year and her bedroom looked very similar to the one in the video. Maybe slightly smaller. She had a bedroom with an en suite bathroom, and then down the corridor was the kitchen/lounge area that she shared with her flatmates :smile: (I think there were 5 of them all together)

There are some more photos on http://www.downingstudents.com/locations/newcastle/the-view/ if you want to take a look :smile:

Persephone
Reply 24
Hi,
If I applied for medicine at both Newcastle and Durham with two applications and got interviews with both would I do just one interview for both or two?
Thanks!
Original post by Akantox
Hi,
If I applied for medicine at both Newcastle and Durham with two applications and got interviews with both would I do just one interview for both or two?
Thanks!

Hi 😊

Thanks for getting in touch. I've contacted mbbs admissions and they have informed me that you would have to have two separate interviews at each campus.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Best wishes,

Christina
Reply 26
Hi 😊

Thanks for getting in touch. I've contacted mbbs admissions and they have informed me that you would have to have two separate interviews at each campus.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Best wishes,

Christina

Thanks!
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. We would only look at GCSE grades if an applicant did not offer AAA at A level including Biology or Chemistry as we would look for Biology or Chemistry at grade A at AS or GCSE level if not offered at A2 level.

To get further advice please email [email protected] directly.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Christina
Hello,
I got my As result back and got
Chemistry - B (7 UMS off an A)
Maths- B
ICT-B (3 UMS off an A and getting it remarked)
Biology-C (9UMS off a B) (resitting)
I am really interested in studying dentistry at Newcastle. I was wondering if my As grades will put me at a disadvantage?
I also qualify for the partner scheme and I was wondering if there was a set number of people who could get into dentistry through this scheme and if so how many?

Kind regards,
Tracy
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
Hello,
I got my As result back and got
Chemistry - B (7 UMS off an A)
Maths- B
ICT-B (3 UMS off an A and getting it remarked)
Biology-C (9UMS off a B) (resitting)
I am really interested in studying dentistry at Newcastle. I was wondering if my As grades will put me at a disadvantage?
I also qualify for the partner scheme and I was wondering if there was a set number of people who could get into dentistry through this scheme and if so how many?

Kind regards,
Tracy

Hi Tracy

Thanks for getting in touch. I have contacted Dental admissions and this was their response:

Tracy would not be at a disadvantage with these grades at AS as long as her predicted A2 grades are still AAA including Biology and Chemistry. Also we have no limit for PARTNERS applicants.

I hope this helps and good luck! 😊

Best wishes,

Christina
Hi Tracy

Thanks for getting in touch. I have contacted Dental admissions and this was their response:

Tracy would not be at a disadvantage with these grades at AS as long as her predicted A2 grades are still AAA including Biology and Chemistry. Also we have no limit for PARTNERS applicants.

I hope this helps and good luck! 😊

Best wishes,

Christina

Hi Christina
Thank you for getting back to me!
If I go through PARTNERS and got AAB as a prediction would that be acceptable?
Also I was wondering what your policy was on As module resits?

Many thanks
Tracy
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
Hi Christina
Thank you for getting back to me!
If I go through PARTNERS and got AAB as a prediction would that be acceptable?
Also I was wondering what your policy was on As module resits?

Many thanks
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I've contacted the PARTNERS team and this was their response:

The PARTNERS offer for Dental Sciences is, ABB including both Chemistry and Biology at grade B. So, if a student was eligible for the programme, their predicted grades would need to match or exceed this lower offer. The Dental School policy for resits it that they would normally expect applicants to have achieved their A levels (or equivalent) on their first attempt, however, they will accept AS level modular resits as long as they are done within the two year AS/A Level period of two years.

I hope this helps 😄

Best wishes,

Christina
I am hoping to apply to dental surgery via the partners programme. I study biology, chemistry , psychology and sociology. This year I got B C A A, I'm hoping to do two resits and get my biology to an A and chemistry to a B grade and finish college with A* A B.I just want to know the likely hood of getting on to dental surgery using the partners programme. I meet 3 of the criteria and have the correct GCSE grades and work exp.
Hi Tracy,

I've contacted the PARTNERS team and this was their response:

The PARTNERS offer for Dental Sciences is, ABB including both Chemistry and Biology at grade B. So, if a student was eligible for the programme, their predicted grades would need to match or exceed this lower offer. The Dental School policy for resits it that they would normally expect applicants to have achieved their A levels (or equivalent) on their first attempt, however, they will accept AS level modular resits as long as they are done within the two year AS/A Level period of two years.

I hope this helps 😄

Best wishes,

Christina

Hi Christina

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Tracy
Original post by Aneesa1997
I am hoping to apply to dental surgery via the partners programme. I study biology, chemistry , psychology and sociology. This year I got B C A A, I'm hoping to do two resits and get my biology to an A and chemistry to a B grade and finish college with A* A B.I just want to know the likely hood of getting on to dental surgery using the partners programme. I meet 3 of the criteria and have the correct GCSE grades and work exp.

Hi Aneesa :smile:

I passed your question to the PARTNERS team and this was their reply:
One of the eligibility criteria for PARTNERS is that your predicted grades must match or exceed the PARTNERS offer for Dentistry(ABB including both Chemistry and Biology at grade B). Acceptance onto the PARTNERS scheme does not guarantee you an offer from the course. You must also sit the UKCAT after which you may be invited for interview. If at this stage the admissions team decide to make you an offer it would be at the lower PARTNERS grades.

You apply to PARTNERS at the same time as you submit an application to UCAS and online application forms will be available on our website in the next couple of weeks. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch via [email protected] if you have any further questions.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Persephone
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I am hoping to study History for 2016 entry. However, the entry requirements for History are AAA-AAB, and I just wondered what it is about an application that determines the offer they may receive (ie: whether it is an AAA or AAB offer).

Thank you.
Original post by charlotte231998
Hi, I am hoping to study History for 2016 entry. However, the entry requirements for History are AAA-AAB, and I just wondered what it is about an application that determines the offer they may receive (ie: whether it is an AAA or AAB offer).

Thank you.

Hi Charlotte,

Good to hear you're thinking of Newcastle :smile: Are you coming to our Open Day? (There'll be one next summer if you can't make the one in September)

Most offers for History are made at AAA. An offer of AAB isoccasionally made because of other factors, like an exceptional personal statement or personal mitigating circumstances, but that would be decided on an individual basis.

You might like to look at our PARTNERS scheme, too. It's a supported entry route that results in a lower offer for students who fit certain criteria.

Hope that helps,

Persephone
Dear Sir/ Madamme,
it is possible to know the 2015 UKCAT threshold for the 5-year Medicine course.

Many thanks,
Caoimhe
Hi,

I have a place for BA Business Management for 2016 from deferred entry, and was wondering whether it'd be possible to transfer to BSc International Business Management? Both courses ask for AAB and I have A*BB in Business, Economics and English Language respectively. Also, because I have an unconditional offer, would I be any more likely to get my first choice accommodation or does it not make any difference?

Thanks in advance
Original post by CaoimheMee
Dear Sir/ Madamme,
it is possible to know the 2015 UKCAT threshold for the 5-year Medicine course.

Many thanks,
Caoimhe

Hi Caoimhe,

The general UKCAT cut off score was 2300 for the A100 programme (5 years) and 2910 for the A101 programme (4 years, graduate entry).

Hope that's useful :smile:

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending