Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackhaugh
Hi,

I have a place for BA Business Management for 2016 from deferred entry, and was wondering whether it'd be possible to transfer to BSc International Business Management? Both courses ask for AAB and I have A*BB in Business, Economics and English Language respectively. Also, because I have an unconditional offer, would I be any more likely to get my first choice accommodation or does it not make any difference?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jack,

If you want to change course you need to contact our Admissions Team. If you e-mail [email protected] and include your full name, UCAS ID, and the info you've put in this post then she will be able to help you through the process.

It's certainly possible. The selector for International Business Management would need to look at your application and decide if they wanted to offer you a place. If they do, you'll get a new offer which will replace your original one :smile: And if they don't accept you, you would still keep your original offer for BA Business Management.

Having an Unconditional Offer gives you a slightly higher chance of getting your first choice, this is how the Accommodation Services Team explain it:

"Between May and August we will release a percentage of our rooms and process applications from any student holding an Unconditional Firm Offer. We will allocate only to first preference room type at this time so if there are no rooms available in a student’s first choice, then the application will be retained and processed again when the remaining rooms are released.The final release of rooms is released upon A-level results day, so all applications at this point are processed together upon us receiving confirmation the student holds a UF offer. This will therefore include a mix of students who we weren’t able to process earlier despite them having a UF offer as well as students who have just obtained their offer following results.When processing a UF student application, each is allocated a computer generated random number and we allocate in order of this number."

Hope that helps :smile:

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Jack,

If you want to change course you need to contact our Admissions Team. If you e-mail [email protected] and include your full name, UCAS ID, and the info you've put in this post then she will be able to help you through the process.

It's certainly possible. The selector for International Business Management would need to look at your application and decide if they wanted to offer you a place. If they do, you'll get a new offer which will replace your original one :smile: And if they don't accept you, you would still keep your original offer for BA Business Management.

Having an Unconditional Offer gives you a slightly higher chance of getting your first choice, this is how the Accommodation Services Team explain it:

"Between May and August we will release a percentage of our rooms and process applications from any student holding an Unconditional Firm Offer. We will allocate only to first preference room type at this time so if there are no rooms available in a student’s first choice, then the application will be retained and processed again when the remaining rooms are released.The final release of rooms is released upon A-level results day, so all applications at this point are processed together upon us receiving confirmation the student holds a UF offer. This will therefore include a mix of students who we weren’t able to process earlier despite them having a UF offer as well as students who have just obtained their offer following results.When processing a UF student application, each is allocated a computer generated random number and we allocate in order of this number."

Persephone

Thanks a lot Persephone, btw what an awesome name!
Reply 42
Hi, Is it possible to know the ukcat threshold for the 5 year dental surgery course?
Hi,

Ive been predicted 2 As and a B plus an A in EPQ. I know that the history entry requirements are AAA so should I apply or do I face rejection at the first hurdle? Thanks in advance
Reply 44
Hi, I am a student who has just left sixth form with my A Levels and am on a gap year. I'm currently applying to universities in the hope of studying Biomedical Sciences and I was wondering if Newcastle University accept students resitting some of their A2 modules for this course? If so, would their application be at any disadvantage because of this? Thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JackFletch
Hi,

Ive been predicted 2 As and a B plus an A in EPQ. I know that the history entry requirements are AAA so should I apply or do I face rejection at the first hurdle? Thanks in advance

Hi Jack,

Go for it! Most offers for History are AAA but they do consider your whole application and make decisions on an individual basis. I can't make any promises, but if - for example - the admissions tutor thinks your project is relevant to the degree then they might accept your A in EPQ alongside AAB at A Level. That's certainly happened before :smile:

Good luck with your application and if you have any other questions about Newcastle let us know :smile:

Persephone
Original post by Aneesa__
Hi, Is it possible to know the ukcat threshold for the 5 year dental surgery course?

Hi :smile:

For 2015 entry it was an average of 595 in each area.

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Original post by hannahbeckett
Hi, I am a student who has just left sixth form with my A Levels and am on a gap year. I'm currently applying to universities in the hope of studying Biomedical Sciences and I was wondering if Newcastle University accept students resitting some of their A2 modules for this course? If so, would their application be at any disadvantage because of this? Thanks :smile:

Hi Hannah,

Biomedical Sciences are happy to accept applicants with resits. It won't put your application at a disadvantage so don't worry about that :smile:

Persephone

Hi,

Can I just check if you mean you are resitting modules, or are you taking AS & A2 modules in the same year? If you let me know what course you're interested in I will check with their admissions team :smile:

Thanks,

Persephone
Hi,
I'm applying for medicine (As an Undergrad) and just wondering about deferred entries. I am currently predicted to get A*AA in maths, chem & bio and also have a UKCAT score of 732.5 but Im quite keen on some sort of Gap Year. If i apply with a deffered entry this year, how will it affect my chances of getting an interview/place?

Thanks
Hi, I want to study biochemistry. I am on my gap year at the moment and will be applying this year. I was wondering if you look for any sort of work experience for the course.
Original post by arundellj
Hi,
I'm applying for medicine (As an Undergrad) and just wondering about deferred entries. I am currently predicted to get A*AA in maths, chem & bio and also have a UKCAT score of 732.5 but Im quite keen on some sort of Gap Year. If i apply with a deffered entry this year, how will it affect my chances of getting an interview/place?

Thanks

Hi :smile:

The Medical School do consider applications for deferred entry. You need to explain why you want to defer and what you'll be doing in your year out. They'll only accept a deferral if they decide that you will "use your time constructively," and only if you ask in advance. They won't usually grant a deferral after an offer has been made.

So how it affects your chance of a place really depends on what your gap year plans are :smile: I don't have any details on what they consider a constructive use of time, but if you have any specific things in mind I can pass them on to the Medical School to see if they have an opinion, or it would be quicker if you e-mailed them directly at [email protected]

All the best

Persephone
Hey,

Yeah, that will be fine :smile: If you missed a year due to extenuating circumstances that you think are relevant to your application you could mention it in your Personal Statement or ask your referee to include something about it, but that's entirely up to you.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Persephone
Original post by rosie.96
Hi, I want to study biochemistry. I am on my gap year at the moment and will be applying this year. I was wondering if you look for any sort of work experience for the course.

Hi Rosie,

It's not essential, but it will certainly strengthen your application if you can relate your gap year to the course :smile: That might be through work experience, or it could be through developing responsibility and maturity through travel or living independently etc etc

All the best

Persephone
That's good to hear!

There are step by step instructions on the PARTNERS website so looking over that will probably be quicker and clearer than me repeating it here :biggrin: But basically you indicate it on your UCAS form and fill in an online application.

All the best,

Persephone
Bit of a silly question, but is it worth having my referee mention that I achieved full UMS in GCSE Spanish if I'm applying for Modern Languages (Spanish and beginners' German), or is it irrelevant?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nelizabeth_
Bit of a silly question, but is it worth having my referee mention that I achieved full UMS in GCSE Spanish if I'm applying for Modern Languages (Spanish and beginners' German), or is it irrelevant?

Hi,

I don't think it would hurt, but on the other hand I don't think it would really affect their decision :smile: I've asked the Modern Languages admissions officer to let me know but she's out of the office until next week so it'll take a little while to get an official response :smile:

All the best

Persephone
Hi,

I am looking to come to an open day for Newcastle, but there is no other dates on the website other than this Saturday. Will there be anymore open days scheduled?

Also, do you have any idea of this years timetable for Economics and Management and the Business Management course for this year, and if it will be similar to next year? As this will depend on whether I look into accommodation, if I did receive a place.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Kayleighwhaley
Hi,

I am looking to come to an open day for Newcastle, but there is no other dates on the website other than this Saturday. Will there be anymore open days scheduled?

Also, do you have any idea of this years timetable for Economics and Management and the Business Management course for this year, and if it will be similar to next year? As this will depend on whether I look into accommodation, if I did receive a place.

Thank you :smile:

Hi Kayleigh,

This Saturday is the last Open Day of 2015. The next ones will be at the end of June / beginning of July 2016. Dates are usually confirmed in January in each year.

You can come and visit the campus any time. We have tours of the campus that you can book on to, and a recommended self-guided tour booklet to download on our website. There are also accommodation tours available later in the year.

Timetables for courses don't usually change too much from year to year but an individual's timetable will depend on optional subjects. If you look on our website you can see the modules for each course (here are the modules for Economics and Business Management and here's the Business Management). If you click on a module and scroll down to "Teaching Methods" you can see how many hours of timetabled lectures there are each week.

Persephone
Hi
I'm looking to come to Newcastle on 2016 to study Geography and I know the entry requirements are ABB. My A-Levels did not go as well as expected so I am slighly down on my grades. I am taking some resits and having some papers remarked, however my predicted grades were only based upon my results from this year. What are the chances of being given an offer when predicted BBB, when resits are being completed?
Thank you☺
Hi,

I am currently a Canadian student and I am quite interested in applying for the A100 program at Newcastle University for 2016 entry. However, I was looking through the details of the program and I came across this particular paragraph: " International students: You are currently permitted to undertake the full Foundation Programme, ie the first two years following graduation, but you are normally required to return to your home country to complete further speciality training."

Does that mean I have limited choices in what I can do in UK medicine after my Foundation Programme and in order for me to specialize, I have to return back to Canada? I do wish to specialize in the future so is taking the UK route ideal or not ideal for me?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending