The Student Room Group

CAn your degree be just a hobby? With no intention for any career whatsoever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4r1r43r34
Might as well stir up ****.

It gets said in every other thread, mate. The only people who are going to engage you (like the nursing people) are either new to TSR or butthurt to the max.
Original post by callum_law
It gets said in every other thread, mate. The only people who are going to engage you (like the nursing people) are either new to TSR or butthurt to the max.

Not butthurt. It's quite hilarious how ignorant you people are considering you're so intelligent. I chose nursing because I am caring and love people. Nothing to do with my academic ability...there is more to life.

As an answer to the OP though, I have a degree in graphic design that I took purely because I am a good illustrator and I wasn't ready to choose my life-long career. I guess that counts as doing it for a hobby.
Original post by KittyAnneR
Not butthurt. It's quite hilarious how ignorant you people are considering you're so intelligent. I chose nursing because I am caring and love people. Nothing to do with my academic ability...there is more to life.

As an answer to the OP though, I have a degree in graphic design that I took purely because I am a good illustrator and I wasn't ready to choose my life-long career. I guess that counts as doing it for a hobby.

Don't say 'you' as if I am the one who is saying nursing is cheap. I almost chose nursing myself, and I am doing a Law degree. I am decidedly not a STEM student.

You might find it hilarious, but you'd find 200 posts in this forum hilarious because they will say the same thing as the other poster. STEM elitism is part and parcel of this site, and if you're replying to it trying to subvert it you're obviously either emotional or very new to the site.
Don't say 'you' as if I am the one who is saying nursing is cheap. I almost chose nursing myself, and I am doing a Law degree. I am decidedly not a STEM student.

You might find it hilarious, but you'd find 200 posts in this forum hilarious because they will say the same thing as the other poster. STEM elitism is part and parcel of this site, and if you're replying to it trying to subvert it you're obviously either emotional or very new to the site.

I have been on the site for years and it has always been the same, I'm not attempting to subvert anything. I just saw someone say that you can choose any none STEM degree as a hobby and I was challenging that view.
I can think of much better hobbies that would cause me less anxiety.
Reply 25
What about camp types who go on performance arts degrees and think they can act because they are extrovert but really ham it up! These types end up doing telesales he he. Do you think those 'transferable skills' couldn't be learnt elsewhere? Maybe just an amateur dramatics society and do a degree that could lead them to a job?
We had a women in our classes who must have been in her 60s who was doing it as a hobby. I studied law ( not STEM, the horror! )
Reply 27
Original post by lyrical_lie
We had a women in our classes who must have been in her 60s who was doing it as a hobby. I studied law ( not STEM, the horror! )

Hi that's is another interesting age group. They are retired but as I said earlier they need to fill their time and keep their minds active (to prevent dementia). Did you know they won't need to pay back their Loan? Because when they pick up their pension it is not earned income and usually their can do a job part time usually under £21,000. Hence a degree for free! wish i had the luxury but I admire them for doing their hobby degree and law maybe they can do volunteering at citizens advice so maybe useful.
Original post by lyrical_lie

I know someone who had a full-time job, was the most senior manager in a medium-sized company who too decided to do Law as a hobby part-time. First he did a GCSE in it, to keep his mind activate, then an A-Level, then needed something more challenging after. Achieving the degree didn't help his career in any way possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
I know someone who had a full-time job, was the most senior manager in a medium-sized company who too decided to do Law as a hobby part-time. First he did a GCSE in it, to keep his mind activate, then an A-Level, then needed something more challenging after. Achieving the degree didn't help his career in any way possible.

What if someone was had say 3 years to live so wanted to do a degree however it could be someone young with cancer. Obviously, their career is terminal and would it do some good in the world as an example that studying is a pleasure in itself?
Original post by neilspeels
What if someone was had say 3 years to live so wanted to do a degree however it could be someone young with cancer. Obviously, their career is terminal and would it do some good in the world as an example that studying is a pleasure in itself?

I'm not sure I follow you, matey.
If your parents are rich...you can do whatever you like!
Reply 32
I'm not sure I follow you, matey.
OK if people think that a degree is just to progress to a career what about the hypothetical example of someone with a serious illness but who could study but had a limited lifespan. They couldn't contribute anything economically but they just wanted to achieve something and prove something to themselves. Oh may be Im just thinking out aloud.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
If your parents are rich...you can do whatever you like!

Nailed it. Choose your parents carefully kids
Original post by Bill_Gates
Nailed it. Choose your parents carefully kids

Indeed.
I don't see why not. As others mentioned, it's a rather expensive hobby, but I can see the attraction of recreational education. If I happened to win enough money to see me through life without ever needing to work again, I'd probably go and do a couple of hobby degrees at some point in my life.
An expensive one :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by russellsteapot
I don't see why not. As others mentioned, it's a rather expensive hobby, but I can see the attraction of recreational education. If I happened to win enough money to see me through life without ever needing to work again, I'd probably go and do a couple of hobby degrees at some point in my life.

I'd love to have hobby degrees but without all the stress study part-time lounge around all day do a little work. A guy at open university was bemoaning the fact that he couldn't do 4! degrees over 20 years b/c fees have tripled. It used to be a good deal at OU not anymore. and they were all different types of science so not really that varied.
The UK is one of the only markets, unlike, notably, America and Europe, where you can do a degree as a hobby because we have a bull**** made up knowledge and services economy, so 90% of even the largest graduate employers do not require a particular degree, just a 2:1.

The value of university is in what you get up to in your spare time. If you spend it face down drunk in a gutter or wanking into packets of biscuits you are not going to have much of a CV.

Original post by 4r1r43r34
Because in a nursing degree you don't have to prove the Gauss Markov Theorem. That's why.

No you have to get off your arse and do proper work in the real world rather than sitting around cogitating about maths.
Original post by scrotgrot
The UK is one of the only markets, unlike, notably, America and Europe, where you can do a degree as a hobby because we have a bull**** made up knowledge and services economy, so 90% of even the largest graduate employers do not require a particular degree, just a 2:1.

The value of university is in what you get up to in your spare time. If you spend it face down drunk in a gutter or wanking into packets of biscuits you are not going to have much of a CV.

No you have to get off your arse and do proper work in the real world rather than sitting around cogitating about maths.

Getting off your arse won't get you £40 an hour, you can labour away all you want in a supermarket, they will still pay you £7 an hour. It's supply and demand. There is a demand for sitting around cogitating about maths and very little supply of numpties who can do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending