The Student Room Group

Struggling to get a job with my Meteorology degree!

I graduated around a year ago, with a degree in Meteorology.

I have been looking for jobs on a daily basis over this time period and I have struggled to make any headway. The Meteorology industry is a very tough industry to get into.

I have applied to approximately 400 jobs and had around 15 interviews and 2 Assessment Days.

5 of those interviews were for jobs in the Meteorology industry.

To be blunt, it seems to be hard to impress meteorologists. I do have a passion in monitoring the weather, I have my own person weather station (Davis brand) and continually monitor weather models. I understand that many in the industry have this too, but it puts across my interest outside the job. This does not seem to impress the interviewers. Infact, when I tell them about my weather station, they don’t say anything, it’s as if they think that everyone has a weather station! (Not true)

I do not have any work experience in the industry whatsoever and can’t find any. I have searched for months for Internship opportunities and they are ALL for students.

Here are my problems and why I remain unemployed:

- My region has very few jobs, so hundreds apply to a basic job I.e Tesco. So they get to pick the “cream of the crop”, so to speak.
- There are very few Meteorology companies in the U.K. They all want work experience but don’t offer any work experience opportunities for graduates. All of the placements are for students.
- Entry level jobs won’t hire me because I have a degree.

So I am stuck in this cycle where I have no experience and can’t be hired because of it.

I have a massive passion in Meteorology but I am struggling with getting into the industry. The industry feels very exclusive, as only a select few seem to get hired.

I do not have any industry contacts, so I do not know what to do get myself out of this rut or what I could do to improve my employment prospects.

As it is now a year since graduation I am worrying about what to do. I am concerned that I will be in the same position next year, so I do not want to waste another year applying for jobs.

What can I do with my degree where I can actually get into the work force? Is there a conversion course I could study? Or should I study a completely different Masters I.e Computer Science?

I am deflated with my efforts and can’t see myself getting into the industry anytime soon. The companies in the industry do not make it easy for a new entrant to successfully enter the Job market. For this reason I regret studying Meteorology and would not recommend it to anyone as a career path, only a hobby.
(edited 3 years ago)
Did you get anywhere/ find a solution?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending