The Student Room Group

Worried about Greek holiday after hearing about financial crisis?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SotonianOne
Why are you worried? Everything there will be cheap, it's to your own benefit.

I guess the only worry is the increase in crime but it's still below average.

Capital controls are a worry...

Also not as cheap if VAT goes up 10%
Original post by Quady
Capital controls are a worry...

Also not as cheap if VAT goes up 10%

Capital controls? He is going there for a holiday, not to live. Most people take cash.

I honestly doubt VAT will go up, and not that I advocate crime tsk tsk but most people don't pay VAT in Greece anyway and engage in the black market instead even for everyday goods. just pay the shopkeeper their profit (actual price minus VAT) and give them half of their VAT or something to their own pocket. works miraculously.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by SotonianOne
Capital controls? He is going there for a holiday, not to live. Most people take cash.

I honestly doubt VAT will go up, and not that I advocate crime tsk tsk but most people don't pay VAT in Greece anyway and engage in the black market instead even for everyday goods. just pay the shopkeeper their profit (actual price minus VAT) and give them half of their VAT or something to their own pocket. works miraculously.

Sure, and if you can only take 20 euro out of the country then cash would be bad if you have 150 euro at the end of the trip.

OK, so a 5% rise then?
Original post by Quady
Sure, and if you can only take 20 euro out of the country then cash would be bad if you have 150 euro at the end of the trip.

OK, so a 5% rise then?

A 5% rise may indeed be on the table, but my black market point still stands.

Normally cash "exports" out of a country are not restricted under capital controls (Serbia 2001, Cyprus 2013 etc.) but I won't disagree since it's not guaranteed.

Quick Reply

Latest