The Student Room Group

Footage of migrants jumping on lorries at Calais today - shouldn't we be helping?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Not our concern.
We deal with them once they're here, not beforehand.

Better to make sure they don't reach us.
Original post by Bornblue
We have plenty of space to build more housing.

This didn't appear on my quote list for some weird reason.

Okay then - where will the houses be built, by whom and once again who will fund their lives and where will they be in the future?

And aren't you an environmentalist?

I just had a moment of enlightenment - environmentalists/green party are the main advocates of mass house building. where did it all go wrong?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
We should be helping the French to remove them from the continent, and stopping them from crossing the Mediterranean in the first place!
The only thing we should help do is send them back to France once they get to Dover
Reply 64
Original post by TomatoLounge
Crazy footage from the BBC of migrants jumping on lorries at Calais during strike of port workers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33235390

I think the British government needs to step in and help these people. Let them come give, give them a British passport and a job. They must be so desperate to jump on the back of a Lorry.

definitely ...
Reply 65
Sorry i just dont want to help criminals. We have our own problems, my young sister is battling with mental illness and it breaks my heart to see her crying in a heap on the floor because her therapist only has the time to see her once every fortnight. We need to provide better service to our own country rather than illeagal immigrants. Not only that but there is just no room in the uk anymore to just invite them in. I do have some sympathy for them i really do, but the uk cannot wave a magic wand at everything bad and everyone in the world suffering unfortunately. I pay my taxes and i want the money to be spent here in this country where we need it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SotonianOne
I'm going to try and keep an open mind and let you convince me why you believe that:

A) People from Horn of Africa (Somalia, Eritrea) where we have not caused conflict should be invited
B) It should be us that accept the migrants, despite that they went through 3 or more countries that are as rich as us or richer.
C) Why you believe that people escaping from war zones should be placed here, despite international law underlining that asylum seekers should be able to seek refuge in "nearest safest country"
D) Where will they live, what is their future and how will they be funded

Surely we are not the nearest safest country to Syria, Eritrea, Somalia or Ethiopia, no?

Since you have personally argued that there is no housing in this country for natives, where is the housing in this country for non-natives?

This
Original post by TomatoLounge
OK lets not go insane. I'm not saying that anyone who is desperate for anything should get it.

But these people come from desperate situations; fleeing war, poverty etc. Don't we have a moral obligation to help them?

That's just ****ing life man.
Reply 68
Original post by seaholme
I do wonder why they don't just claim asylum in France. What is so terrible about France that people would rather risk their lives hanging under lorries to come here??

It's because unlike the UK, France doesn't just hand out benefits to everyone and these people know that and this is why they all try coming to the U.K
Where is your compassion for people in this country who use food banks and are unable to find a home?

It's pointless to invite people when we are in a three-figure deficit (U$D) and our own are living like those in Greece/Eastern Europe
Why thank you kind sir, May I have another?
Original post by Skip_Snip
"Footage of burglars kicking someone's door in - shouldn't we be helping?

They must be so desperate for a new telly and laptop, why don't we give it to them?"

The difference with burglars is that its unlikely that they are doing it because we bombed their country and plunged their country or at least contributed to pushing it into chaos of which thy are desperate to escape.
Original post by castlemadeofsand
The difference with burglars is that its unlikely that they are doing it because we bombed their country and plunged their country or at least contributed to pushing it into chaos of which thy are desperate to escape.

So you thinking they're coming specifically here because "we" bombed their countries?
Reply 73
Original post by GraceTheSheep
Your lack of compassion is shocking. What if it were you on the back of that van so desperate to come to the UK to find work to feed your family and escape persecution that you were prepared to risk your life?

The way people in Britain talk about immigrants as though they are scum is disgusting. :no:

When you get into the real world and have to start paying for the flotsam and jetsam that pour into this country your attitude will likely change.

Their plight is not mine, so as far as I'm concerned they can **** off back from whence they came. As a business owner I am obliged to pay LOT of tax. I don't see why I should put my hand in my pocket to fund a lifestyle for some scrounger who's turned up, cap in hand, from the ******** of nowhere.
Send em straight back to where they cam from. Why isn't france doing anything about this? And they don't have to come to Britain, there's loads of other rich european countries they can go to, they can even stay put in france. But obvs they want to come here, free houses free money, doesn't get better than that.
The reason why most migrants - legal or illegal - come, or try to come, to the UK is that they feel(in most cases wrongly)that their situation would drastically improve were they to come and get a job here. Most come from countries that are either very poor or in a very bad situation, for example warzones. I think what we need to do is deal with the root cause of the problem and be proactive in trying to improve the situations in those countries so that people there won't think that they can get a better life by coming to the UK.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
The reason why most migrants - legal or illegal - come, or try to come, to the UK is that they feel(in most cases wrongly)that their situation would drastically improve were they to come and get a job here. Most come from countries that are either very poor or in a very bad situation, for example warzones. I think what we need to do is deal with the root cause of the problem and be proactive in trying to improve the situations in those countries so that people there won't think that they can get a better life by coming to the UK.

But that implies we have to interfere and sometimes with force with other countries

This also sounds like the racism of 'low expectations' in that 'we have to help them as they can't help themselves'
Original post by PopaPork
But that implies we have to interfere and sometimes with force with other countries

This also sounds like the racism of 'low expectations' in that 'we have to help them as they can't help themselves'

But in most cases the countries' governments are extremely corrupt or extremely ineffective, so they genuinely can't help themselves. It's not racist, it's true.
Reply 78
It's appalling. Let them all in. Give them homes. It's not fair on them or their future families / babies.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
But in most cases the countries' governments are extremely corrupt or extremely ineffective, so they genuinely can't help themselves. It's not racist, it's true.

But they can help themselves I believe we are all capable regardless of who we are to make our own countries better for ourselves and our children

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending