The Student Room Group

International Business at Loughborough OR Management at City (both with Placement)

Hello everyone,
I'm going to start uni in 2016 and I plan on applying for a course in Business; my priorities are that the course should have a 'sandwich' placement year option and the uni/course must have a strong international outlook.After collecting as much information as I could I've decided to apply to these two universities, as they are the ones that appeal to me the most.

Now, I know that these two are really different universities and I would pretty much live two completely different experiences, which means that they are hardly comparable, but I am really undecided, since there are various factors that attract me to both unis; I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with some useful insider info maybe or just with their opinion :smile: Let me break down what's going on in my mind:

LOUGHBOROUGH

PROS:
-The course is International Business, which is exactly the course that I really want to follow;
-The course structure is very rich with lots of interesting subjects;
-The rankings seem to really like this uni and it's very well placed, with a Top 15 position in almost every aspect, especially in the Business field.

CONS:
-I don't really like the location since I'm more of a big city guy, so I would settle for the Midlands only if it were really worth it;
-I'm not sure about the real international outlook and especially about the international reputation of this uni;
-I'm not sure about the industry links and about the placement opportunities that studying at this uni would give me, since it's not in London or in a big city and it's also quite 'isolated' (compared to other English cities). Also I'm not sure about graduate employability.

CITY UNIVERSITY

PROS:
-It's in London;
-It enjoys a strong international reputation and a very international outlook;
-It seems to have better industry links and offer better placement opportunities, I think because of it's central London location. Also the employability stats are quite good.

CONS
-It doesn't have an International Business course, so I'm 'settling' for Management because after all the uni itself is internationally oriented (at least that's what it looks like);
-The course structure is not as rich as Loughborough's and, frankly, not as much interesting;
-The rankings don't seem to like this uni that much, placing it mid-table for almost every aspect (although it's still quite well placed in the Business field; not as well placed as Lboro anyway).

So, I would be extremely grateful if anyone of you could please tell me if I'm wrong or right about anything I said above and also if anyone could give me their suggestions on the matter. I want to make sure that I'll make the best choice for myself :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fallenstars
Hello everyone,

LOUGHBOROUGH

CONS:
-I don't really like the location since I'm more of a big city guy, so I would settle for the Midlands only if it were really worth it;
-I'm not sure about the real international outlook and especially about the international reputation of this uni;
-I'm not sure about the industry links and about the placement opportunities that studying at this uni would give me, since it's not in London or in a big city and it's also quite 'isolated' (compared to other English cities). Also I'm not sure about graduate employability.

Hi fallenstars

Well I can only address your CONS list for Loughborough.

You're right - we're not in the middle of a big city, we're on a 438 acre single site campus. There's loads going on all the time on campus and feels like a town in it's own right. Loughborough town is pretty student orientated and Nottingham and Leicester cities are a stones throw away.

Business school have a really good international reputation and they work with over 400 organisations around the world. They're among the 1% of business schools in the world that holds EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA accreditation. We're the top university in the UK for the percentage of business students on a professional placement (honestly - we're definitely not isolated!). As for employment prospects, six months after graduating 93% of out students were in work or further study and 96.3% of those workimng were in professional roles (with 55% in London) you can see more info on where our students end up here.

However, if you think you'd be happier in the heart of London rather than a campus university, then it doesn't matter how many stats you read or how great I say we are, we just won't be the right choice for you. At the end of the day, you'll be spending 4 years here, you have to be sure that you'll be happy in this environment - happy students make successful students and we quite simply want you to be both.

Good luck with your decision, I really hope you make the one that is right for you.
If you need to know anything else, let me know.

Vicky
Reply 2
I'd just like to reiterate what Vicky said. Loughborough is a fantastic place but if you want to live in London, then City is your best bet. Make sure you decide based on where you want to live and where your industry hires a lot from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending