The Student Room Group

Bath vs Loughborough (Business)

Hi there, I have been offered a place into both Bath (Business Management) and Loughborough (Business Analytics) and I'm currently having a hard time choosing between the two. I have also been offered places at Exeter and Southampton. If anyone is currently going to any of these unis or doing the courses, can you please run me down of some pros, cons, and insight? Any advice is welcome. Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dnl777
Hi there, I have been offered a place into both Bath (Business Management) and Loughborough (Business Analytics) and I'm currently having a hard time choosing between the two. I have also been offered places at Exeter and Southampton. If anyone is currently going to any of these unis or doing the courses, can you please run me down of some pros, cons, and insight? Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Hello! Congratulations on the offers you received! They are all superb.

In terms of the offer you want to firm, personally I would choose between Bath and Exeter.

Bath School of Management and Exeter Business School are two of the best business schools in the UK for undergraduate, therefore I think the quality of teaching is on par with one another. I myself have visited Exeter Business School twice, and trust me it is very impressive indeed. I believe it placed number 1 in the UK for graduate outcomes. Loughborough is also great for business, but I do think it lacks the prestige that the other two universities have. Furthermore, I would take Loughborough's 4 place position in some league tables with a pinch of salt! Not sure if you are doing A levels or not, but I'd say Loughborough is a good insurance choice (assuming it is an AAB/ABB requirement). Also, bear in mind your course at Loughborough is different and analytics tend to require more mathematical skills. If this is something you like, then, by all means, choose Loughborough as inevitably it is the course and how much you like it that will determine your success!

I don't know too much about Southampton so I cannot give you any info on that sadly.

Let me know if you'd like any other information.
Reply 2
Original post by MarcosTheories
Hello! Congratulations on the offers you received! They are all superb.

In terms of the offer you want to firm, personally I would choose between Bath and Exeter.

Bath School of Management and Exeter Business School are two of the best business schools in the UK for undergraduate, therefore I think the quality of teaching is on par with one another. I myself have visited Exeter Business School twice, and trust me it is very impressive indeed. I believe it placed number 1 in the UK for graduate outcomes. Loughborough is also great for business, but I do think it lacks the prestige that the other two universities have. Furthermore, I would take Loughborough's 4 place position in some league tables with a pinch of salt! Not sure if you are doing A levels or not, but I'd say Loughborough is a good insurance choice (assuming it is an AAB/ABB requirement). Also, bear in mind your course at Loughborough is different and analytics tend to require more mathematical skills. If this is something you like, then, by all means, choose Loughborough as inevitably it is the course and how much you like it that will determine your success!

I don't know too much about Southampton so I cannot give you any info on that sadly.

Let me know if you'd like any other information.

Honestly, that is so much help! I was thinking of Bath as a firm and Loughborough as insurance but now that might have to get changed to Exeter. Thank you very much!
Original post by dnl777
Honestly, that is so much help! I was thinking of Bath as a firm and Loughborough as insurance but now that might have to get changed to Exeter. Thank you very much!

No problem! Bath and Exeter are both great universities, and share a lot in common if you ask me :smile:

Good luck
Original post by dnl777

Hey @dnl777!

I think ultimately you need to decide which course suits you best and then decide around that. Weigh up the pros and cons of each uni for what is best for you!

We are similar to Bath as we are too a campus university, but are also very different. Bath and Loughborough were my top two choices as well, but the family feel of Loughborough is what sold it for me and eventually I left Bath out of my top two choices.

If you have any specific questions about Loughborough I'll be happy to answer them as best as I can! :smile:

Best Wishes,
Emily
Reply 5
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey @dnl777!

I think ultimately you need to decide which course suits you best and then decide around that. Weigh up the pros and cons of each uni for what is best for you!

We are similar to Bath as we are too a campus university, but are also very different. Bath and Loughborough were my top two choices as well, but the family feel of Loughborough is what sold it for me and eventually I left Bath out of my top two choices.

If you have any specific questions about Loughborough I'll be happy to answer them as best as I can! :smile:

Best Wishes,
Emily

Thanks!
Original post by dnl777

Hi!!

I applied to the exact same courses as you!! I am between business analytics at either Exeter or Southampton, with placement at both.... out of interest have you decided yet?
Hi Emily, I’ve been offered ms in business analytics from University of Bath as well as Loughborough university, which should be the ideal college if you could suggest.Thanks,Abhijeet
Original post by dnl777

Hello,

I am a final year Business student at the University of Bath and would be happy to help with your question.

I study Business Administration (which is now just called Business) and this course is very similar to the Business Management course in terms of the modules you'd be able to choose from 2nd year onwards. The great thing about Management courses at Bath is that they allow you to really focus on things you enjoy and want to study or perhaps have a career in. For example, I don't really enjoy the finance side of Business so I opted for more creative modules such as Advertising. Whereas a lot of my friends who do like finance were able to choose modules such as Accounting. This means the degree is extremely versatile. Similarly, the placement system at Bath is excellent. On Business Management you have one year long placement (which is where in third year you'll apply to work in a business and gain experience in this field as part of your degree) and Bath are really good at helping you find/secure this placement. I know on my course they don't stop until everyone finds a placement, so you get lots of support!

In terms of Bath as a city and university in general I have absolutely loved living here. In first year you stay on the university campus which is so convenient- you can just roll out of bed and go straight to your lectures. Then, in second year onwards you can live in the city centre or a place called 'Oldfield Park' where most students tend to stay and this is only about a 15 minute walk from the city centre and a 10 minute drive/bus to campus. So everything is always so nice and close together. The city of Bath is beautiful and there is always so much to do- there's lots of bars and restaurants, lovely cafes, different sites to see such as The Royal Crescent, The Roman Baths and The Bath Abbey, and mini golf, bowling, etc etc! If you ever get stuck for something to do in the city the Bath University SU (Student Union) always has fun stuff going on too- like 2 for 1 cocktails, bingo, quiz night and even a clubbing night 2 times a week. It's definitely worth checking out the societies and sports teams you can become a part of too which are great ways to meet people and pursue hobbies you may have or want to try.

I couldn't rate my experience at Bath, studying Business, any more highly than I do. My main advice would be to go where feels right for you, if you get the chance definitely visit the universities again to see if you get a better feel for one over the other. Congratulations for your offers and best of luck with whatever choice you make.

I would be happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Kayley
Final Year Business Student
Original post by dnl777

Hi,

Firstly congratulations on all your amazing offers!

It's worth noting the differences in the Business Management and Business Analytics courses, although at Southampton they share a lot of similarity in the first year (at least when I was in first year), after that the two degrees vary in terms of content and optional modules, with management providing you with an option of a much broader degree. I'd suggest it's worth considering which degree you feel like you'd be best suited to and most enjoy completing.

At Southampton both Business Management and Business Analytics offer the opportunity to complete a placement year in an organisation of your choosing. Our award winning placements team will support you the whole way in finding and securing a placement.

Southampton itself is a wonderful city, with plenty of students and plenty going on. In my experience the nightlife has been amazing both on campus at the university - we have our own pub! - and in the city centre, with many bars, restaurants, clubs, cinemas, premier league football, etc.

The students union offer over 300 sports clubs and societies, so hopefully there is something for you. All the sports teams I've been involved with or tried have been so supportive to newcomers as well as experts at the sports. I've tried Scuba Diving, Rowing, Spikeball and currently Tennis. With having never tried most of these sports before university, the teams in my experience have all been phenomenal in teaching me the basics and integrating everyone well into the club. And I forgot to mention how much fun they all can be!

Southampton is a fantastic place to live and study and cannot recommend considering it enough. I hope you enjoy wherever you choose. Similar to other comments, I'd really listen to yourself and pick the university you think feels the best for you!

If you have any further questions about the University of Southampton, or the Business School programs, I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Best Wishes,
James
Business Management Student
Original post by Abhijeet_007
Hi Emily, I’ve been offered ms in business analytics from University of Bath as well as Loughborough university, which should be the ideal college if you could suggest.Thanks,Abhijeet

Hi Abhijeet,

As a student studying at Loughborough Unviersity hopefully I can help. Loughborough University and Bath University are fairly similar as both of them are campus University's. Mostly your choice should depend on the course at each university and which one suits you best in terms of modules and content. From my personal experience at Loughborough, the best thing for me is how much support we received in looking for placements. The university helped me perfect my CV, apply for jobs, practice for interviews and write cover letters. They also provided me with a placement tutor and checked up on me regularly during my time on placement.

As for the University experience, I have found Loughborough to be a great community and found it easy to make friends as everyone on campus is regarded almost as family. It is also really great if you are into sports as there are countless free activities to participate in on campus. Nottingham and Leicester are also a short journey away if you want more of a city feel. Furthermore, I found the teaching to be really good on my course with lecturers being helpful and interested in what they are teaching you. I do have friends who attend Bath University and they say that it is also a really good experience and most of them have also secured placements so at the end of the day it's really up to you and what suits your interests the most.

I hope this helped,

Noah
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey @dnl777!

Best Wishes,
Emily

I am thinking if an Msc Economics and finance between Loughborough and Bath. Which stands out more academically and socially
Original post by Cruise gal
I am thinking if an Msc Economics and finance between Loughborough and Bath. Which stands out more academically and socially

Hi @Cruise gal,

I believe I've just responded to another post from you, but I thought I'd post some more information here.

You can review the information for your course by finding your course page here and you can also view information about the department who runs your course too.

You could also look at the environment you'd be studying in and view information about each of the campuses.

In terms of the social experience, I would consider reviewing the list of societies offered or checking out the sports teams to see if there's anything you'd like to get involved with!

As I said before, at the end of the day, I would personally choose the university I could see myself being most happy at :smile:

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask us any other questions about studying at Loughborough.

- Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending