The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying CMQS

Hello,

I'm a 3rd year on the course. If anybody needs any help or has any queries regarding, please drop me a message or reply below

Cheers
Original post by Lucasso
Hello,

I'm a 3rd year on the course. If anybody needs any help or has any queries regarding, please drop me a message or reply below

Cheers

Hi, I have some questions about the course.
Are you enjoying the course? What are the positives and negatives of the course? Do you feel that doing the course at Loughborough will give you more opportunities in the construction industry field or does the uni that you go to not matter as much to employers?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Are you enjoying the course? What are the positives and negatives of the course? Do you feel that doing the course at Loughborough will give you more opportunities in the construction industry field or does the uni that you go to not matter as much to employers?

I would say I enjoy the course. It’s a relatively laid back, not too intense course which give quite an good understanding of what’s to come when you graduate. That being said, there are so many thing which we are not thought at university, which you will have to learn once you graduate. This is why I heavily recommend doing a placement year as it gives you experience and allows u to make a better choice as to where you’d like to work once graduating, as well as being more attractive for employers.

The Loughborough CMQS course is considered to be among the top three in the UK, and as a result, there is a list of companies lining up to sponsor the students we have here. Everybody gets a sponsorship, and everybody does a placement. We also have a 100% employment rate which pretty much means, if you come here, you’ll find a job quite easily.

I think the top and biggest companies will be looking at where you went to university and what grades you have got, but if you want to work for a medium to small sized company, it doesn’t matter as much - it will still be taken into consideration.

I would say the only unis which are considered on par with the CMQS course at Loughborough, would be reading and the project management course at UCL. However, that’s just my opinion based on what I’ve heard.
Original post by Lucasso
I would say I enjoy the course. It’s a relatively laid back, not too intense course which give quite an good understanding of what’s to come when you graduate. That being said, there are so many thing which we are not thought at university, which you will have to learn once you graduate. This is why I heavily recommend doing a placement year as it gives you experience and allows u to make a better choice as to where you’d like to work once graduating, as well as being more attractive for employers.

The Loughborough CMQS course is considered to be among the top three in the UK, and as a result, there is a list of companies lining up to sponsor the students we have here. Everybody gets a sponsorship, and everybody does a placement. We also have a 100% employment rate which pretty much means, if you come here, you’ll find a job quite easily.

I think the top and biggest companies will be looking at where you went to university and what grades you have got, but if you want to work for a medium to small sized company, it doesn’t matter as much - it will still be taken into consideration.

I would say the only unis which are considered on par with the CMQS course at Loughborough, would be reading and the project management course at UCL. However, that’s just my opinion based on what I’ve heard.

Thanks! That was very helpful. If you don’t mind me asking, what company are you being sponsored by? Do you feel like you’ve had support throughout the course from staff etc?
I'm year 13 student looking to study Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying and I was wondering ,how is the work load in first year, what skills do you need, and how are you assessments. And what did you put in your personal statement
thanks
Original post by Lucasso
Hello,

Cheers

Hey i just wanted to know how is the course and how does it link to business.

Is the workload a lot and is there a lot of exam or is it more coursework based?

Do you guys get a reading week?

Are you able to switch course if you don’t enjoy it

Pros and cons of this subject

Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Lucasso

can you tell me a bit about the sponsorship and placements because I have an offer but I am just worried about the costs of uni and then about not being guaranteed a job, which is the only things making me not want to go
Original post by lewiswyatt7
Original post by Lucasso

can you tell me a bit about the sponsorship and placements because I have an offer but I am just worried about the costs of uni and then about not being guaranteed a job, which is the only things making me not want to go

I just applied for 2024 entry myself and I’ve read on their website that Loughborough is ranked 1st in the whole UK for graduate prospects for this course - 100% of their students land graduate roles. I read somewhere from a student on the course that all the students that wanted a placement managed to get one as well. Their building school is one of the most highly regarded in the country and they have great industry links.

Likewise i’m worried about the costs of moving to Loughborough for uni too but I guess wherever you are going to go the costs will be there so don’t let it put you off which university you choose!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #3

I just applied for 2024 entry myself and I’ve read on their website that Loughborough is ranked 1st in the whole UK for graduate prospects for this course - 100% of their students land graduate roles. I read somewhere from a student on the course that all the students that wanted a placement managed to get one as well. Their building school is one of the most highly regarded in the country and they have great industry links.

Likewise i’m worried about the costs of moving to Loughborough for uni too but I guess wherever you are going to go the costs will be there so don’t let it put you off which university you choose!
tbh from people in the industry i have asked the general answer is experience > uni, get into a good firm that’s doing interesting projects and an ok uni and you’ll be better off. If your gonna apply to apprenticeships keep an eye out just now, a lot have just opened
Original post by lewiswyatt7

Sponsorship is just when you sign a contract for a company agreeing to work for them in your summers and eventually placement year, they'll give you a retainer payment (not that much) which is nice to have. Not everyone is sponsored and it isn't mandatory, there are still plenty of companies looking out when its time to apply for year placements. Would 100% recommend a placement though you learn so much.
Original post by Lucasso
Hello,

Cheers

Hello Lucasso :smile:

I am interested in studying "quantitative surveying" in London.
I studied business management bsc, and international relations Msc.
I don't want to do university studies, as it takes a lot of time and is very expensive, I am looking for any course or training of 1-2 years at most.Can you give me any advice, where i can study, what type of books do i need to buy, what type of skills do i need, like excel for example. Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending