The Student Room Group

Fast Track A Level or SK277 Open University?

Hello,

I am torn between studying either the SK277 course at the open university or fast tracking an A level in either psychology or sociology.

I am somebody who doesn't have any science qualifications other than a merit at BTEC - GCSE standard (don't remember a thing) so either one will basically be starting from scratch.

The end route I want is to study midwifery and I have spoken to admissions at my favoured university who have said they would both equally be looked upon.

I am lacking experience in a relevant sector so I need to do this whilst studying as well as keeping my part time job to pay for necessities so this is why a distance learning course would suit me more - despite me knowing that I will struggle (definitely more of a classroom person).

So, I was just wondering if anybody has studied either the SK277 Human biology course or has fast tracked either psychology or sociology at A level? If so, what are your opinions on the courses and what would you recommend?

I feel the human biology course might be better for the actual midwifery course as it even has a section at the end directly linked to new babies - and then obviously the rest will link in with the mother. However I think psychology would be very interesting although the tweets I have seen about this years exam - haven't been great.

My only doubt with the open university is down to the ucas application.. How long do you have to wait to get a reference from your tutor as the course obviously starts in October and UCAS in September?

Sorry for the many questions but any responses would be great! Thanks
Reply 1
Hi
I have just studied A level psychology in 9 months and previously studied with the Open University for my degree which included SK277 (which I really enjoyed). Personally I think the OU would give you a feel for what degree/academic study is like and like you say, the content is more appropriate to midwifery. However as the university will accept either would the A level be more advantageous to have under your belt (to add to what other qualifications you may already have?) Also re references from OU, I understand that they aren't actually done by your tutor - you send it to your regional area when application is complete and they report on your academic abilities. This is what I found 2013 when I applied for midwifery.
Hope this is of some help ... Good luck deciding
Reply 2
Hi, did you do this module in the end?
I've never done A-Level Biology so bit unsure about the jump to level 2 SK77/SK299 (updated Human Biology module for 2017) but I need this in order to get into Osteopathy. Did you find it difficult and did you pass? Thanks, Sara

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending