The Student Room Group

Which access course is the most versatile?

I started an access course in social science but I'm not completely sure if I'm enjoying it or that's what I want to do because I've heard a future in social science doesn't pay much.

I think I have ADHD which makes it hard to make a decision or commit. I need something that opens up options rather than just one pathway. Something that'd be handy if later I need a course/career change.

Which would be the most versatile access course in terms of opening up the most directions? Would it be science or medicine?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Maria1359
I'm thinking of doing an access course but I'm not completely sure what I want to do. I have some ideas but I think I have ADHD which makes it hard to make a decision or commit. I need something that opens up some options rather than just one pathway.

Which would be the most versatile access course in terms of opening up the most directions? Would it be science or medicine?

I wouldn't commit to Medicine unless you are very certain that's what you want to do
Reply 2
Original post by melancollege
I wouldn't commit to Medicine unless you are very certain that's what you want to do

I'm not. That's the issue. Science then?
(edited 6 months ago)
I started an access course in social science but I'm not completely sure if I'm enjoying it or that's what I want to do because I've heard a future in social science doesn't pay much.

I think I have ADHD which makes it hard to make a decision or commit. I need something that opens up options rather than just one pathway. Something that'd be handy if later I need a course/career change.

Hi,

Have you got a careers advisor? It is worth booking a meeting with you because they can help you figure out different options and give you an understanding of where things lead. They can also help you figure out where you want to go with things if you are unsure and help you make it happens.

Good luck.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

@Maria1359
Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE pathway for over 10 years so can help.

The whole point of doing Access to HE is to fast track you to University, and quite early on in your studies if you are in an F.E college you will be hopefully getting advice about your UCAS statement and which Universities to apply for. Social Science's is a very broad church, you can potentially go into the subject areas of your modules, social work, teaching - and some students on your course may have been asked to just demonstrate recent study in order to be enrolled at University (as they have most of the entry criteria already). Universities tend to have lower expectations in terms of entry criteria for some of those areas such as Sociology and Criminology.

Some areas such as Nursing and Midwifery are a lot more competitive - for Midwifery there is an expectation to have Level 2 english maths AND science, as well as Access to have a realistic chance of getting a place at University. Radiography and some medicine routes have very high expectations. Engineering is going that way too.

Have you spoken to the support services in your college?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending