The Student Room Group

"Deflated" after exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
100% get you. I was the same after finishing AS 2 days ago and then I just started going to the gym again
Finally, people experiencing the same thing as I am. I thought I was alone in this and that it was just sort of post-exam depression or something. All I literally do is mope around all day long, things I used to enjoy, I find totally irrelevant and pointless. During exams, all I did was work, work, work and now that they are over (as the title suggest) I am simply lost.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I feel the same even though i've just finished my gcses and have 2 years of sixth form ahead of me. I've been looking forward to this time off for so long but now I have it, i can't seem to relax and I feel like i should constantly be doing something productive. More often than not, I can't find anything productive to do. I'm thinking of doing some volunteering but that's easier said than done since hardly anywhere will actually accept me. I could try and prepare myself for my AS courses but I don't know where to start. My friends are only available about twice a week and my family are at work/school still apart from at the weekends. Aaaaaah so fun!!!:smile::colone:

Oh and to those of you who have finished college/sixth form, how beneficial is it for me to do some volunteering now? Is it better to wait until I start sixth form?

I would definitely advise doing some useful things with your summer. Do you have an idea of ehat you want to do at uni? If you do start having a look at some of the work experience/volunteering/wider reading/ competitions that will give you a boost to get a place. This all snuck up on me this year, you need to start gathering relevant experience and whatnot as soon as you can really. Takes the pressure off when youre doing ad exams. You dont want to be revising and looking for extra curricular activities.
Reply 23
if you're feeling so at loss, why not occupy your time by learning a language or to play an instrument
Nah i'm so happy it's over, can finally pay attention to all the things i wanted to do like video games and learning to play piano
I find it quite liberating actually; I do feel as if I'm in limbo until results day but I have so many books to read! There is nothing better than a book that outlines some profound ideas or gives you some of your own.
Reply 26
Nah can't say I feel the same way. Although it is funny, when I was supposed to be revising I could find any way under the sun to procrastinate, but now that I can do whatever I want I'm not sure what to do :tongue: I'm enjoying the freedom to be lazy without any guilt though
Finished GCSE'S a week ago and i honestly have no idea what to do now. For months i had been dreaming about finishing exams and having a really long amazing summer but honestly i don't know what to do now. I said i would just watch a load of tv series it summer as there is loads for me to catch up on and although i am watching a lot (i finished a whole season of scandal-18 episodes- in one day), i feel like i'm wasting time. Hopefully i'll get used to having nothing to do soon
Original post by HenryHein
My last exam was 6 days ago and I've felt mildy depressed ever since.

I briefly returned to my sixth form yesterday as my brother had an interview (part of a "family day out" if you will) and it felt very awkward, as if I was a stranger in the place I went to every weekday for 2 years and only left 5 days ago. This only amplified my sadness.

I suppose part of the problem is that I had a regular revision schedule and, given now there of course is no need for it, it feels as though there is a void in my life. Does anyone else feel the same? Frankly I almost don't even care about what my results will be: my post-exam sadness seems to overwhelm any anxiety about how well or not I did.

I do. I think its because revision and stress is addictive or something.
Reply 29
I understand your depression, I feel exactly the same way. Since finishing my A2's last week I have been looking for a prom outfit but that only takes up a small proportion of my day, the rest is spend watching cartoon's :smile: and feeling bored and depressed.
Going from 100mph to 0 overnight is a bit of an issue - I found this post my last A2 exam last week, I'm trying to maintain some routine even with free time I guess
Reply 31
Exactly. During exams I kept myself going by imagining all the productive things I would be doing during the summer but when they ended I felt physically and mentally exhausted. I wanted nothing more than to sit in one spot and not move a limb. Whenever I'm doing something, it doesn't feel good enough and I feel like I should be using the time wisely but that makes no sense anymore since there isn't actually anything "wise" for me to spend my time doing. I'm getting better though, trying to dedicate my time to re-learning instruments and drawing etc.
I finished AS three weeks ago and I still feel guilty for not revising or doing more work (probably because I procrastinated so much I don't feel like I deserve a break :tongue:). I want stuff to do but I'm too tired for A2 work and I'm not really doing much else right now apart from a weekend job so it's kind of just moping around all day long. Nothing I used to do interests me and I just feel like I'm wasting all my time. :frown:
Reply 33
Nope, I don't feel lost, I feel FOUND!
I've been to loads of parties and have seen loads of friends and am really enjoying being busy!
On a more productive level, I've returned to proper music practice and reading, following a dip during exams.
Don't feel deflated - enjoy having some time out / a proper social life! :biggrin:
Anything's better than exams, surely?!
I have nothing really to add here other than I'm pretty much the same. What on earth am I meant to do with my life? ahhhh. I guess I just havent entirely processed the fact that I'm an adult yet. That being said I wouldnt want to do those exams again
I'm so glad I'm not the only one experiencing this! I've been talking to everyone about how lost and aimless I feel - it's like I don't have any direction or motivation anymore. I guess it's just my body recovering from the constant stress and adrenaline rush of exams.
It was a very weird feeling finishing school for good. I mean, it felt liberating, but when the time came, in the immortal words of David Tennant, I found myself saying "I don't want to go."
On the plus side though, I've had loads of free time to binge-watch 24, which is quite possibly the best American-made TV show I've ever seen. I just finished the final full-length season which was absolutely incredible! :biggrin:
Reply 36
It's really reassuring to know I am not the only one feeling this way.I am not necessarily sad about leaving sixthform but im sooo stressed about results day!!! I have kind of accepted that I might not get into uni and If I do its more so out of luck ...
But its such a coincidence I came across this thread when I'm finally taken some action today by applying for some jobs :biggrin:D

Anyways best of luck everyone :smile:
I'm glad other people feel the same! I thought it would feel really refreshing and cathartic to be finished and I was so excited to do everything I wanted to do, but I can't even enjoy things that I've always enjoyed, let alone get into the new hobbies that I wanted to. I keep feeling like I should be studying, and sometimes I get into a panic about results day too.

Then again, I have been out a lot more than I've ever been in my life. I always thought I wasn't a people person, but it turns out I love being with people: just not while I'm at school :tongue:

Also, I turned 18 not long after my last exam, so I'm still getting over the "oh god I'm meant to be an adult now" feelings.

Life is so cruel, I feel so clueless and out of control now. :moon:
Original post by Sara_PLL
Finished GCSE'S a week ago and i honestly have no idea what to do now. For months i had been dreaming about finishing exams and having a really long amazing summer but honestly i don't know what to do now. I said i would just watch a load of tv series it summer as there is loads for me to catch up on and although i am watching a lot (i finished a whole season of scandal-18 episodes- in one day), i feel like i'm wasting time. Hopefully i'll get used to having nothing to do soon

I feel exactly the same! I've finished my GCSEs and start sixth form on the 7th of September and have no idea what to do!! I'm already on countdown, only 10 weeks to go haha I can't wait to start something new! :smile:
It's not just me!

Quick Reply

Latest