The Student Room Group

NEGATIVE PARENTS and its putting me down :(

This is a serious post ,I know people do tend to be a bit insensitive ,please hear me out .

As I've grown up I've realised my parents are very negative and are only chasing one thing - Money.

The other day I was talking to them about graduate jobs and career paths.I really want follow a path that allows me to work in a hospital because I like the hospital environment .Also working with other professionals really does appeal to me.However the pay is low compared to the career path they want me to follow.As soon as I mentioned how I would really love to work in a hospital my dad said "the pay is not high,it's too early for you to choose ,I doubt you'll even get it anyway ,unless you're really lucky" .I just left the kitchen and went to my room and ignored it.

Today I was asking my mum who works at the local hospital about work experience /shadowing department contacts etc & she says "You'll be better off working as a (their chosen path for me) or else you'll have to work 2 jobs because the pay is not enough.You should aim to buy your own house ,car ,get a mortgage.Don't get brainwashed by this idea that you have to do what you like and have fun.Life is not about having fun" .
Then I brought up the idea of post grad study & she says "You cannot keep going back to university *laughs* you'll be 30 and still attending university with little kids.I told you.You aim to get your 2 bed flat,your car ,not keep doing the same thing until you are in your 30s ,putting yourself into more and more debt and wasting time."

The older I get ,the more annoying they get (with regards to my future & how I should do things esp finances).They have already planned that I'm commuting and living at home the last year of university because accommodation is expensive .

I'm at the point where I'm just annoyed ,I've had it to my neck.
They look down on people who haven't studied degrees they look up on or ones who haven't gone to university .E.g I have two cousins who study economics & criminology + sociology and every time it's always "what are they going to do with those degrees blah blah.They are never going to get jobs once they graduate ,they should have done xxx degree" .The other time I had enough and said "Stop judging people and their choice of degrees.Not everybody is interested in the same field.They did want they wanted to do.Stop being so judgemental".
Then my mum went on to say "people are clever ,they go for degrees they know will not get them graduate jobs so they will end up not paying back what they owe - waste of tax payers money".

Honestly ,I just can't even! It annoys the living F*@k out of me .

It's not just degrees and education it's other things in general related to you guessed it -Money .E.g We have a neighbour who was unemployed for some time & has recently gone back to employment but works a few days (well I think so). You'll hear "I wonder how many hours he works a week,he goes and comes back after 4-5 hours.No wonder why he still lives at home with his parents ,he can't afford council tax (he is in his 30s)."

In my heart of hearts I believe my parents work jobs they hate .They go because they're 'getting paid'.
I don't want to be like that ,I believe I was put into this world to do more than pay my bills .When I say that to my mum she'll say something like "you have too much pride ,you think you're better than everyone else".One of my favourite quotes is "follow your dreams and success will come" .I like to think that if you want something,you focus on it ,work at it and eventually it will come.My old teachers have said I have an incredible work ethic and should never lose it & right now I have honestly had it.

Sorry for the rant .As much as I love my parents I can't help but feel like their negativity is affecting me.

With regards to my degree I don't know what to do because I obviously need their support ,both financially and emotionally .Now I'm questioning furthering my education by doing a post grad because 'I'll be putting myself into more debt when I should be working a (dull) 9-5 just to get a flat and a car'.

I don't know what to do because experience is highly recommended throughout university & I really want to get experience in the field I love but I know my parents will not be happy because the end job doesn't pay 'enough' so I'll need to find another one along side that.

Thank you for taking your time to read this ,I apologise I know it's long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Do what you want, and try to have the best job in the section YOU like.

That's all. I Had the same problems in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending