The Student Room Group

can't asleep - overthinking and anxiety

hi,
i keep crying and my anxiety won't let me sleep. i can't stop overthinking what my mum said about me and my boyfriend. she said how she doesn't think his parents like me so much (shes never met them) because i work at mc donalds for now until i get a license and education isnt for me. on the otherhand, he is at uni and so his parents may acc think im a useless gf for not doing anything good in life. she also said how they probably are going with it because they know we wont last. i am also getting some gut feelings that maybe he isn't into me like he was before but that could be me overthinking and being far away. he is having his half term so its good but its making me so stressed. i love him so much so im worrying sm and maybe he has realised im not good enough. it hurts so much to feel this way and idk whether i should pop him a msg rn to talk to him bc im acc not okay.
is my mum right? maybe he does deserve better?
Reply 1
i woke up just havibg a nightmare abt it
Reply 2
dont message him. talk to him
Reply 3
Original post by Prem 885
dont message him. talk to him

lol i can’t im going away on holiday tomorrow and im working today and he’ll be going back to uni whilst im on holiday. should i acc talk to him about it though? do you think that hes too good for me and i should leave and let him go? for his own good?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
lol i can’t im going away on holiday tomorrow and im working today and he’ll be going back to uni whilst im on holiday. should i acc talk to him about it though? do you think that hes too good for me and i should leave and let him go? for his own good?

yeah because you have so much questions so its better to talk to him. he will atleast give you comfort that nothing bad will happen keep calm. no i dont think hes too good. you should not alone decide whether to leave him. he also know his better
Reply 5
yeah because you have so much questions so its better to talk to him. he will atleast give you comfort that nothing bad will happen keep calm. no i dont think hes too good. you should not alone decide whether to leave him. he also know his better

shall i tell him what my mum said too? thanks!
Reply 6
shall i tell him what my mum said too? thanks!

no dont tell that your mum said that rather ask am i okay for your parents?
Reply 7
no dont tell that your mum said that rather ask am i okay for your parents?

okay thank you!!!! do you think being out of education isn’t a good look though?
hi,
i keep crying and my anxiety won't let me sleep. i can't stop overthinking what my mum said about me and my boyfriend. she said how she doesn't think his parents like me so much (shes never met them) because i work at mc donalds for now until i get a license and education isnt for me. on the otherhand, he is at uni and so his parents may acc think im a useless gf for not doing anything good in life. she also said how they probably are going with it because they know we wont last. i am also getting some gut feelings that maybe he isn't into me like he was before but that could be me overthinking and being far away. he is having his half term so its good but its making me so stressed. i love him so much so im worrying sm and maybe he has realised im not good enough. it hurts so much to feel this way and idk whether i should pop him a msg rn to talk to him bc im acc not okay.
is my mum right? maybe he does deserve better?

Your mum, what sort of man did she marry? Is she still happily married to him? How successful overall has she been at her romantic relationships?

If you wanted to become the next Lionel Messi of the football world, would you follow the coaching of a pub team player or of a Pep Guardiola?

Your mother is talking out of her backside. She's also being fat too negative, and is undermining your self-confidence.

You're more than good enough for this guy. Someone's value as a girlfriend (or boyfriend) is not defined by whether they are at McD's or uni. There's a whole lot more to the jig-saw than that single piece.
It's great that tertiary education isn't for you. I'd agree with you 100% on that. It's all down to what else will you do with your next 3 years? There's loads of paths that are better than going to uni.

I think you should think less and do more. More action. Less thinking about taking action.

Of course he won't be into you like he was before. People change their behaviour as relationships mature. A less intense, more cosy and comfortable form of love is fine.

Mental and emotional strength are attractive. Aim to display these traits to your boyfriend to increase his attraction to you.
Avoid showing mental or emotional weakness to him, as they will decrease his attraction to you. So don't ask him what his parents think of you. Don't ask him insecure questions.

Enjoy your holiday. And after the holiday enjoy your life day by day. Enjoy your time with him. If the 2 of you break up, for whatever reason, cross that hurdle when you come to it. You'll be able to get another boyfriend.
Reply 9
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Your mum, what sort of man did she marry? Is she still happily married to him? How successful overall has she been at her romantic relationships?

If you wanted to become the next Lionel Messi of the football world, would you follow the coaching of a pub team player or of a Pep Guardiola?

Your mother is talking out of her backside. She's also being fat too negative, and is undermining your self-confidence.

You're more than good enough for this guy. Someone's value as a girlfriend (or boyfriend) is not defined by whether they are at McD's or uni. There's a whole lot more to the jig-saw than that single piece.
It's great that tertiary education isn't for you. I'd agree with you 100% on that. It's all down to what else will you do with your next 3 years? There's loads of paths that are better than going to uni.

I think you should think less and do more. More action. Less thinking about taking action.

Of course he won't be into you like he was before. People change their behaviour as relationships mature. A less intense, more cosy and comfortable form of love is fine.

Mental and emotional strength are attractive. Aim to display these traits to your boyfriend to increase his attraction to you.
Avoid showing mental or emotional weakness to him, as they will decrease his attraction to you. So don't ask him what his parents think of you. Don't ask him insecure questions.

Enjoy your holiday. And after the holiday enjoy your life day by day. Enjoy your time with him. If the 2 of you break up, for whatever reason, cross that hurdle when you come to it. You'll be able to get another boyfriend.

he’s planning on seeing me this morning for a couple of hours before i go to work. i dont think he’d do that if he didn’t have feelings still - im just overthinking because normally we always say goodnight, sweet dreams etc and say different things which we have said for months every night and last night i said it and he then cut it blunt and just said goodnight i love you. i know it’s petty but all of what has happened yesterday has just made my anxiety worse. i am being stupid though and i hope everything is okay. my mum makes me feel like crap about it. she worsens my anxiety. she is happy with us together but i feelnlike its because she isn’t happy in her relationship idk. she also didn’t go to uni but my dad (non biological ) did so idk why shes picking on me for. im planning on getting a good job once i can drive which is very soon and work my way up. i have a better work ethic. i just feel so sick and anxious. idk what to do.
thanks!! ill try and enjoy my holiday:smile:
Enjoy your time this morning with your BF. Make it into a mini-adventure for the 2 of you.

Cut out the lovey dovey goodnight stuff before going to bed. You will be more attractive to the men in your life if you have minimal contact with them between dates.
Focus instead on being great company and on enjoying yourselves to the max when you are together. And when you're not together you each carry on with your lives.
Reply 11
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Enjoy your time this morning with your BF. Make it into a mini-adventure for the 2 of you.

Cut out the lovey dovey goodnight stuff before going to bed. You will be more attractive to the men in your life if you have minimal contact with them between dates.
Focus instead on being great company and on enjoying yourselves to the max when you are together. And when you're not together you each carry on with your lives.

thank you we are taking my family dog on a walk as everyone is at school/work and we can have a good time doing that. i think it’s natural to feel stressed in relationships especially as this is our first one really. it’s hard to keep my parents happy at times but oh well it’s my relationship not theirs.

you’re right, i think it was the routine and im autistic so the change of routine just somehow stopped me from going to sleep and the overthinking as well from my mum. i agree with you and will definitely take on your advice:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending