The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni

Hiya,

My flatmate is currently in the process of dropping out of uni and its made me rethink my uni life too.

I completed first year quite easily and went into second. During second year, my mental health crashed, I stopped attending lectures and I eventually decided to fail the year so I could repeat it due to extenuating circumstances. I'm now in my repeat second year. Two weeks in, I'm not sleeping, barely attending lectures and although my main problems from last year have gone, I seem to be struggling more than ever. I am not even sure I want this degree or to pursue in this field.
I currently have a job at a local bowling alley which I love. It's one of the few things that I enjoy and look forward to now.
My original goal was to get my degree, get a low level job, raise the ranks and eventually make my own furniture design company. But for a while now I've felt like Im trying to convinve myself thats what I want because I am not as passionate as I used to be about it.
Instead I love the idea of dropping out of uni, working full time at my job and maybe one day find something else that inspires me.
My mental health has never been great but recently I've been putting it before anything else in my life because I was afraid if I didn't, I would end it. I cannot seem to find a decent uni/mental health balance so I am considering putting my health first and ditching uni altogether.
Another difficult part is that my parents are very important in this. They help pay my rent and fees etc and my sister just got her master's so they are against anything that isnt academic achievement etc.

Basically, my question is - Has anyone gone through something similar? Is there any advice you can give me to my situation?
It is never too late for a gap year! If you really aren't feeling passionate about what you are doing and it is negatively affecting your life you are allowed to do something else. You are still young and still have the chance to do what you want. Taking a year out and enjoying ur job, saving some money and working out what you want to do seems like a good idea to me.

If you are still wanting to do your degree you could always look into online uni, or see if you can change courses at your uni. If it is going to cost you your happiness no degree is worth it. And again these days jobs dont always care what your degree is but that you have a degree so dont stress too much.

About ur parents, you could do a short course of some sort in your spare time. Or come up with a solid plan and sit them down and go through. If they see you are serious about it and have really thought about it they may be more understanding. But remember it is your life.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by lara_croft_4
Hiya,

My flatmate is currently in the process of dropping out of uni and its made me rethink my uni life too.

I completed first year quite easily and went into second. During second year, my mental health crashed, I stopped attending lectures and I eventually decided to fail the year so I could repeat it due to extenuating circumstances. I'm now in my repeat second year. Two weeks in, I'm not sleeping, barely attending lectures and although my main problems from last year have gone, I seem to be struggling more than ever. I am not even sure I want this degree or to pursue in this field.
I currently have a job at a local bowling alley which I love. It's one of the few things that I enjoy and look forward to now.
My original goal was to get my degree, get a low level job, raise the ranks and eventually make my own furniture design company. But for a while now I've felt like Im trying to convinve myself thats what I want because I am not as passionate as I used to be about it.
Instead I love the idea of dropping out of uni, working full time at my job and maybe one day find something else that inspires me.
My mental health has never been great but recently I've been putting it before anything else in my life because I was afraid if I didn't, I would end it. I cannot seem to find a decent uni/mental health balance so I am considering putting my health first and ditching uni altogether.
Another difficult part is that my parents are very important in this. They help pay my rent and fees etc and my sister just got her master's so they are against anything that isnt academic achievement etc.

Basically, my question is - Has anyone gone through something similar? Is there any advice you can give me to my situation?

Hi @lara_croft_4

I think @Hdjxkebxkeoxb makes some really great points. University is not always the right path for everyone, or it may be that university is not the right thing for you right now - but could be in the future.

I would advise taking your time with this decision, but always put your health and wellbeing first. It may be that a gap year is exactly what you need. It could give you time to enjoy working at the bowling alley and to re discover your love for furniture design, or even another subject. You may have found that your passion for the subject feels different at the moment as you are always having your work critiqued and examined. But if you take some time for your craft in your own time and under your own terms, you might find your love for it again.

And regarding your university studies, it might be wise to talk about it with your tutors and your family too. It could be good to discuss how you're feeling and what your options are so you feel happy with whatever decision you make.
Your family will want you to do well of course, but they will also want you to be happy and healthy, so I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, they will come to support you.

I hope you can figure this out and find what's right for you. Best of luck!
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending