The Student Room Group

Fine Art - Loughborough or Edinburgh?

Hey, I have an offer to study art at both Loughborough and Edinburgh and I really can't decide which one to go to. Loughborough seems to have a real sense of community, the facilities are really good and the staff seem to care about their students. I haven't been to Edinburgh for an open day but I get a lot of negative responses that they don't care about their students as much however they are world renowned and the art facilities are good. If any current students know anything please give your reviews.
Firstly congrats on both offers! :smile:
I think definitely go to an Edinburgh offer holder day to get a feel for the place and talk to the students:
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/student-life/student-chat

In terms of league tables Loughborough is 2nd on The Times's Good University Guide vs Edinburgh being 22nd:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/good-university-guide-in-full-tp6dzs7wn
although I don't know how that translates to Fine Art specifically and it also depends because Edinburgh is a Russel-Group whereas Loughborough is not - this is important to factor in too.

I think ultimately you have to decide what works best for you and what you value the most e.g. facilities, student experience, reputation etc. and then see which university comes out on top. You've got until June to decide and keep exploring your options and chatting to people in the meantime.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sieno
Hey, I have an offer to study art at both Loughborough and Edinburgh and I really can't decide which one to go to. Loughborough seems to have a real sense of community, the facilities are really good and the staff seem to care about their students. I haven't been to Edinburgh for an open day but I get a lot of negative responses that they don't care about their students as much however they are world renowned and the art facilities are good. If any current students know anything please give your reviews.

Hi,

I'm a design student at Loughborough, who also got an offer from Edinburgh. I ultimately chose L'boro for its proximity to home, and for its facilities - you're absolutely right about the sense of community too, everyone is proud to be at Loughborough and its such a vibe on campus, especially on sunny days. I heard the same as you about Edinburgh not caring much about students, and this put me off... what I will say about Edinburgh is its a beautiful place (miles better than L'boro town), and the University is world renowned (the art department is pretty cool there too)...

Although I'm a design student, I have popped into the Art department a few times at Loughborough. Although the art buildings are a bit drab, the facilities look okay, there's lots of different rooms for different disciplines, and I know Loughborough is quite highly rated for art.

If you've any questions about Loughborough just drop me a reply...

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you that is really helpful, I guess I depends what I value most tbh: the community or the place/reputation. the only difference for me is that Edinburgh is a lot closer to me than Loughborough. People tell me that I'm more likely to have more opportunities at Edinburgh than Lboro just due to its reputation for art and it being a big city but I don't think that is necessarily true as I'm sure Lboro has a lot of connections and support for getting a job post graduation. I find it so hard as I really felt comfortable at Lboro!
Reply 4
Original post by Sieno
Thank you that is really helpful, I guess I depends what I value most tbh: the community or the place/reputation. the only difference for me is that Edinburgh is a lot closer to me than Loughborough. People tell me that I'm more likely to have more opportunities at Edinburgh than Lboro just due to its reputation for art and it being a big city but I don't think that is necessarily true as I'm sure Lboro has a lot of connections and support for getting a job post graduation. I find it so hard as I really felt comfortable at Lboro!

That's a good point. I wouldn't put Loughborough down for not giving you opportunity, you will certainly get that with a Lboro degree - whilst I wouldn't say the university is as prestigious as Edinburgh, it has certainly put its marker down as a highly respected university in the past two decades or so (especially in art), and I think it's a uni that will continue to do well. I would seriously put your emotional interests first, if you feel most comfortable at Loughborough, then that looks to be the ideal choice. You don't want to be somewhere for 3 years of your life, paying out your nose to absolutely hate the experience. I've had the time of my life so far here at Loughborough, I can't speak for Edinburgh students so it might be an idea to try and speak to one of them on this forum, see what they make of the experience. Either way, choose where you think you will be happiest, because if you enjoy the experience, you enjoy the degree...

Quick Reply

Latest