The Student Room Group

University accommodation in the second and third year?

I will be starting university next year and I'll be in the halls in my first year. My parents have advised me to stay in the halls for the whole time there and I think this would be best, especially as I have a hearing loss and so I need some kind of visual/kinetic alarm. I am terrified that I won't be able to get in the halls for this long though so I was wondering if anyone could tell me: what are my chances of being able to stay in university accommodation for three years in a row? Will any special priority be given to me because of my needs? By the way, I'll probably go to Manchester.
Reply 1
I've known second and third years to stay in halls. First years do get priority but they do save some rooms for other students so it is perfectly possible for you to stay in halls so long as you apply early enough.
Reply 2
Snnnarf! My mum says that if I go in a student house it will be rubbish because I'll have fallouts with my flatmates and they'll bring random people back home and I won't have any food or heating :frown: Is this an unfair view? It's made me very worried about what would happen if I couldn't live in the halls. What have peoples' experiences of getting places in the halls for multiple years/living in student houses been like?
It does depend on the uni, so ask them. They all have different policies. But explain you have a disability, and see what they say :smile:
Reply 4
Depends on the uni and how much accommodation it has available - at Lancs we can now stay on campus for 3 years if we want to. Other unis have no space for 2nd years at all.
However, I would have thought that your hearing problem would probably mean that you had a good case for staying in halls if you want to. After your first year you might feel that you wanted to move out anyway, bearing in mind that the people you have made friends with will be moving out. According to friends who live out. life in students houses isn't as bad as you and your Mum imagine.
Reply 5
Yeh I think because of your special needs it's possible!
your mum was being very biased in her view about student housing- some people i know are having the best times of their lives there, even if there is the odd problem.
Reply 7
Snarf
Snnnarf! My mum says that if I go in a student house it will be rubbish because I'll have fallouts with my flatmates and they'll bring random people back home and I won't have any food or heating :frown:

If you think this doesn't happen in Halls too then you're a little naive.
Reply 8
It's true, she is biased, she hasn't even been to uni, she's just going by what she's seen from her friends who've been to uni. But because she's my mum I do listen too her and I can't help worrying...I also have a friend and his sister was in a student house and her flatmates ganged up on her and tried to make her pay all the bills for the house and they just were horrid to her all the time :eek: I suppose I've heard a lot about the dark side of student living.
Reply 9
Alex Mann
If you think this doesn't happen in Halls too then you're a little naive.

Well...I'll have food and heating on the halls right? That's a big thing with me, I'm aware that I could have rocky relationships even in the halls and I might overhear people in the room above me getting up to no good :rolleyes: But at least I'll have my own little room where I can go to chill :smile:
Reply 10
it does depend on the uni about staying in halls after 1st year. here most people live in halls for 1st and 3rd year, and some do for 2nd year as well, although they don't have priority. however people with a disability of some kind are guaranteed accommodation in halls for all 3 years if they want it.
though this will depend on the uni, so it's worth contacting the accommodation people at Manchester and asking them.

on the other hand, i don't think your mum's view is necessarily right about student houses. i lived in a house with two friends last year, and money/bills/food wasn't really a problem. we did have some spectacular fallings out at times, but overall it was one of the best experiences i've had since being at uni :smile:
and if you're in halls you aren't necessarily gonna know the other people you're with and they'll all know random people who they might bring back too, so you won't necessarily avoid that just by staying in halls. in fact, i've found that there are more likely to be randomers in my flat in halls (i know my flatmates) than there was last year in my student house!
Reply 11
Your mum is being a bit of a scaremonger BUT if you choose to stay in halls I think it would definitely be possible for you to do it. My friend in halls has dyspraxia and he's even being allowed to have exactly the same room next year (when he's a 2nd year). Definitely worth applying :smile:

(Note: at my uni you have to have applied by the end of January if you want to stay in halls in the 2nd/3rd year so make sure you keep an eye out)
you choose who you live with when you hunt for a house so dont worry about that - tell your mum you wont make friends or live with people who intend to steal your beans, milk and bread. also, tell her there are laws against renting out sub-standard properties and radiators come as standard nowadays.
email/get your mum to phone the disability officer (each university has one) and s/he will be able to recommend what to do (they may have houses already designated for people with hearing impairments....)
Reply 14
Snarf
Well...I'll have food and heating on the halls right? That's a big thing with me, I'm aware that I could have rocky relationships even in the halls and I might overhear people in the room above me getting up to no good :rolleyes: But at least I'll have my own little room where I can go to chill :smile:

Not all Halls are catered, in self catered you have to buy your food even if you are in Halls, it isn't just provided for you. And even if you are catered, you pay ridiculously more than the food is worth for the privilege. And if you're in a house you still have your own bedroom? And you'd be surprised at how poor Hall heating can be.
Your best asking people in the Manchester Sub forum for some better info on the halls, as we'll all just be speaking from our personal experience from other Unis!

I think your mum is just being a bit over protective and will probably feel a bit more at ease if you are in a hall rather than a house, that's understandable, but don't let her opinions stop you if you want to live in a house!

Some Unis only first years can stay in halls, but i think at Manchester all years can. As Talya mentioned, there will be a deadline to apply for the next year so make sure you keep a look out for that!

-x-
Reply 16
I am at Manchester and they only guarantee accommodation for the first year. You can apply for accommodation in the following years but you might not get it though I guess things would be different for you as you have a disabillity

As others have said, you are best off getting in touch with the accommodation people
Reply 17
Ooh! I've had an email from the accommodation officer at Manchester, she says that disabilities are taken into account but it is not guaranteed that I will get a place. I think she was hinting that I am more likely than others to get a place in the second and third years but she didn't wanna commit herself by saying anything definite, I mean I haven't even accepted the place yet! I'll probably be able to find out more when I get there. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending