The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

When does accommodation booking open?

My daughter has firmed an offer with Lancaster Uni, when can she apply for accommodation? The website said June…..can you explain more about the process?
Original post by Anonymous
My daughter has firmed an offer with Lancaster Uni, when can she apply for accommodation? The website said June…..can you explain more about the process?

Lancaster's accommodation is not allocated on a first-come first-served basis so it is a more civilised process than the unis that panic students into making decisions early. As stated on their website, your daughter will be invited to apply in June and places will be allocated soon after results day. I think my son was required to put down his top three choices - he was given his first choice.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
I thought you could apply all year round for student accommodation

No you can't - every uni has its own procedures.

Hi!

I'm currently a third year student at Lancaster University, and whilst it was a couple of years ago that I applied for accommodation on campus, I can tell you what I remember about the process!

As the website says, your daughter will be invited to apply for accommodation in June - you aren't required to do anything prior to that, unless you want to look at the different accommodation that is offered and get a head start on deciding which accommodation type would be best. When applying for accommodation, you are asked to put down three choices, with your first choice being the accommodation you would like to be put in the most. In these choices, you pick both the college and accommodation type, i.e., Pendle - Standard, etc.

I'm not sure when offers for accommodation are sent out, but when they are, you can either accept or reject the offer, and it's best to keep checking your email account so that you can respond as quickly as possible. :smile:

If you have any further specific questions, you can always email the accommodation team at: [email protected]

Here is the link to the accommodation website: Undergraduate Accommodation - Lancaster University

I hope this was helpful!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

I'm currently a third year student at Lancaster University, and whilst it was a couple of years ago that I applied for accommodation on campus, I can tell you what I remember about the process!

As the website says, your daughter will be invited to apply for accommodation in June - you aren't required to do anything prior to that, unless you want to look at the different accommodation that is offered and get a head start on deciding which accommodation type would be best. When applying for accommodation, you are asked to put down three choices, with your first choice being the accommodation you would like to be put in the most. In these choices, you pick both the college and accommodation type, i.e., Pendle - Standard, etc.

I'm not sure when offers for accommodation are sent out, but when they are, you can either accept or reject the offer, and it's best to keep checking your email account so that you can respond as quickly as possible. :smile:

If you have any further specific questions, you can always email the accommodation team at: [email protected]

Here is the link to the accommodation website: Undergraduate Accommodation - Lancaster University

I hope this was helpful!

Thank you Cathryn that’s very helpful information. Have you been happy at Lancaster?
Thank you Cathryn that’s very helpful information. Have you been happy at Lancaster?

Hey!
I can't answer for Cathryn but I can tell you a little bit about my experience here at Lancaster. I have just finished my second year as a Computer Science student a week ago. For a little background I am an international student and I live and grew up in Dubai, so you can imagine that the shift from a city like Dubai to a town like Lancaster was a big one for me.
In my first year I was living on campus and I honestly hated the place in the first 3 months of living there. Even though the campus itself is huge and has everything needed, the town felt like it did not have much to do in the weekends and nowhere to shop, no malls, no big activities as such.
However, now that I have completed my second year I can tell you that I have fallen in love with the quite life Lancaster has offered to me as a student.
A city university would have a lot of distractions for me personally and wouldn't feel safe.
Lancaster being a student town, is small but sufficient. Everyone there is very sweet, friendly, and always ready to help. The crime rate is low in comparison to bigger cities, the students feel comfortable being on their own, and the university provides all the mental/ physical/ financial advice you need.
So I think to answer your question personally- Yes, I am happy at Lancaster :smile:

I hope this helps,
Vyomika
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey!
I can't answer for Cathryn but I can tell you a little bit about my experience here at Lancaster. I have just finished my second year as a Computer Science student a week ago. For a little background I am an international student and I live and grew up in Dubai, so you can imagine that the shift from a city like Dubai to a town like Lancaster was a big one for me.
In my first year I was living on campus and I honestly hated the place in the first 3 months of living there. Even though the campus itself is huge and has everything needed, the town felt like it did not have much to do in the weekends and nowhere to shop, no malls, no big activities as such.
However, now that I have completed my second year I can tell you that I have fallen in love with the quite life Lancaster has offered to me as a student.
A city university would have a lot of distractions for me personally and wouldn't feel safe.
Lancaster being a student town, is small but sufficient. Everyone there is very sweet, friendly, and always ready to help. The crime rate is low in comparison to bigger cities, the students feel comfortable being on their own, and the university provides all the mental/ physical/ financial advice you need.
So I think to answer your question personally- Yes, I am happy at Lancaster :smile:

I hope this helps,
Vyomika

Hi Vyomika thank you for a really honest answer which was a big help. I had heard that other students had said something similar about their first year - that they were bored and had very little to do at Lancaster. I feel a place is what you make of it to a large extent. Great to hear you are happy now and wish you well with the rest of your time there x

Hi!

I'm glad the information was helpful!

Like Vyomika, I've been happy here at Lancaster! Whilst making the final decision of which university to come to was quite nerve-wracking and daunting, since my first day here, I realised that I definitely made the right decision!

I don't really go out much, so my experience at the start of my first year was a bit different to Vyomika - I didn't mind that there wasn't loads to do in Lancaster, like in comparison to the number of things you can do in Manchester, for example. Lancaster being a smaller city made me feel a little less worried, and I actually felt at home here quite quickly. I do think that it helps that I come from and live in a relatively small town away from university, so coming to Lancaster and feeling like it was familiar actually really helped me. The city to me feels very welcoming, and I love the homey-feel I get from it.

I also feel very happy with my course - I'm currently in my third year of a psychology degree. I've loved studying the subject that I've been interested in since college, and the course structure has worked really well for me. The content we've been taught has been really interesting, and the wide range of skills that I've developed from the different courseworks/exams we've experienced are going to be highly useful for after I graduate.

So, in short - yes, I'm really happy here, and I'm going to be pretty sad when I graduate in July!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending