The Student Room Group

Teaching Placement - BA

Is it likely of the university to provide a teaching placement that is near the university, and is it paid?
Original post by manzila.38s
Is it likely of the university to provide a teaching placement that is near the university, and is it paid?

Hi there!

I hope you're doing okay, I'm a second year Primary Ed BA Hons student at York St John University. Every university will handle their placements differently, but most are likely to do it in a similar way to mine. You can probably find out the information for your university by attending an open day event or speaking to an academic/student. At mine and others that I have spoken to, the placement is not paid for as you are paying the university essentially for this work experience opportunity. I have not yet heard of a uni which pays you for your placement. The university will also try to place you as close to your accommodation as possible, especially in second and third year.

My uni says that they will offer placements within a certain radius, which I think is about an hour and a half travel. They gave us a form to fill out at the beginning of the year which asked where we were living and any preferences we had, such as if we had a car, were happy to drive, were happy to drive others, were happy to be driven by others, happy to get the bus etc. This got updated each year. In our second but mainly third year, students are given the opportunity to find their own placement, which allows them to choose where they go such as if you want to have your placement at home (sometimes jobs are offered at the end of third year so if a student chooses a school close to home then this would be beneficial to them).

Both of the placements so far been quite a distance away from my uni, tending to be about an hour away, but it all depends on your university and the area it is in. However, I also had friends who were only a 20 minute walk away, so it all depends.

I hope that was useful! If you have any more questions then I am happy to answer them! Good luck with your studies also if you choose to do education.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending