The Student Room Group

Is low self esteem going to destroy my relationship?

So I'm a 20yo guy who's dating another guy at the moment. We've been together for about 9 months now. Both of us have been extremely happy together over those 9 months, but there's one thing that is putting a bit of a strain on the relationship from my end and it's worrying me a lot. I don't really know what to do about it.

The problem is my own self esteem. Recently, I went on a night out with my boyfriend and a few friends. While we were there, two of the girls I know wouldn't shut up about how attractive my boyfriend is, and one of them went on to tell him he's 'her favourite' and how grateful I should be that I'm with him. I suppose from their point of view I was supposed to take this as a compliment, but the truth is it really knocked me quite hard. It's not the first time I've felt inadequate or my self esteem has been low. Most the time I'm fine - yes, my boyfriend is attractive, but I never used to compare myself to him or feel he was better than me. Now, every so often, it bothers me a lot - I'll feel like I'm less 'put together', or less attractive, and that he seems to one-up me whenever I try to do something (which isn't intentional on his part btw, it just kind of happens).

He thinks a lot of himself, but the important thing is I know he loves me and thinks the world of me - I just think the worries and my self esteem issues will start to cause problems, and they are getting to the point where it is making me feel miserable. I don't want us to grow apart because of my lack of self confidence, but I don't know what to do or how to let go of it. How do you deal with this?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm a 20yo guy who's dating another guy at the moment. We've been together for about 9 months now. Both of us have been extremely happy together over those 9 months, but there's one thing that is putting a bit of a strain on the relationship from my end and it's worrying me a lot. I don't really know what to do about it.

The problem is my own self esteem. Recently, I went on a night out with my boyfriend and a few friends. While we were there, two of the girls I know wouldn't shut up about how attractive my boyfriend is, and one of them went on to tell him he's 'her favourite' and how grateful I should be that I'm with him. I suppose from their point of view I was supposed to take this as a compliment, but the truth is it really knocked me quite hard. It's not the first time I've felt inadequate or my self esteem has been low. Most the time I'm fine - yes, my boyfriend is attractive, but I never used to compare myself to him or feel he was better than me. Now, every so often, it bothers me a lot - I'll feel like I'm less 'put together', or less attractive, and that he seems to one-up me whenever I try to do something (which isn't intentional on his part btw, it just kind of happens).

He thinks a lot of himself, but the important thing is I know he loves me and thinks the world of me - I just think the worries and my self esteem issues will start to cause problems, and they are getting to the point where it is making me feel miserable. I don't want us to grow apart because of my lack of self confidence, but I don't know what to do or how to let go of it. How do you deal with this?

Have you spoken to him about how you are feeling. Sometimes with these insecurities just being open with someone can help. When you are feeling low about yourself every little thing that happens can sometimes feel like a dig or can make you feel low even with it isn't meant to be. Your boyfriend obviously loves your for a reason and maybe you need to here some positives about yourself?
Original post by Anonymous

I agree with the poster above; what are your positive qualities?

Even if you feel less universally attractive, there are more important things than looks! There will be areas where you might be better or worse than each other, but things like attractiveness, intelligence and success are subjective anyway. So please don't worry yourself!

There is a reason you're both together, so don't let these thoughts get you down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending