The Student Room Group

English language degree or events management which would be better?

Hi
So I am trying to decide what to do at university. I want to do a degree because it seems to increase career prospects and I would like the experience of going to university.
I think I would like to work in the events industry however I have no experience and I am finding it hard to get any. For this reason I'm thinking an events degree might be a good idea because I would get the chance to do work placements and a few of the job advertisements I have seen for events managers state that a degree in events management would be preferable.
However, I have read articles and comments online stating that an events degree is useless and not worth doing and I am worried that people will judge me for doing a 'lesser', 'easier' and 'useless' degree and I'm also worried that it wouldn't actually increase my chances of getting a job in events.
My other option is to do English language as I am currently studying the A level however I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much as an events degree. But would it be worth it to do English as it is a more respected degree? Or is English language also a bit of a waste of time because it won't actually train me for a career?
I would be really grateful to hear people's thoughts on this and whether you think academic or vocational degrees are better?
Thanks.
Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post it...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ellismall
Hi
So I am trying to decide what to do at university. I want to do a degree because it seems to increase career prospects and I would like the experience of going to university.
I think I would like to work in the events industry however I have no experience and I am finding it hard to get any. For this reason I'm thinking an events degree might be a good idea because I would get the chance to do work placements and a few of the job advertisements I have seen for events managers state that a degree in events management would be preferable.
However, I have read articles and comments online stating that an events degree is useless and not worth doing and I am worried that people will judge me for doing a 'lesser', 'easier' and 'useless' degree and I'm also worried that it wouldn't actually increase my chances of getting a job in events.
My other option is to do English language as I am currently studying the A level however I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much as an events degree. But would it be worth it to do English as it is a more respected degree? Or is English language also a bit of a waste of time because it won't actually train me for a career?
I would be really grateful to hear people's thoughts on this and whether you think academic or vocational degrees are better?
Thanks.
Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post it...

I think you've actually hit the nail on the head.

If you definitely want to work in events, then the EM course would be the best preparation, particularly because you will get placements etc which will immerse you in in the professional world.

On the other hand, an EM degree wouldn't be much use if you decided to go into a different profession - and probably wouldn't be very well respected by people in those other professions either. If you're not dead set on events, English Language would be a better degree which could feed into lots of different careers, albeit much less directly. Ultimately, EM would be a vocational choice.

I'd propose a third option, though - a Business / Management course with elements and modules relating to events. This would give you the best of both worlds, in that it would feed directly into events, but also other industries. Okay, it's still not the most 'respected' (read traditional) degree, but some people are snobbish aboutanything that's not STEM, and neither you nor I can change that!

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Personally I'd go for English Language over Events Management. English gives you a variety of transferable skills that you can take to other professions, you could always gain experience in events through voluntary work or internships during the summer break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go for Events Management if that's what you really want to do. You'll get the chance to meet invaluable contacts; your English Language lecturers will not be able to get you a job but your Events Management lecturers may well do- and being forced to do work experience will give you stuff to talk about in your CV. As someone else suggested, you could look at Business courses that have events management elements or you could do a joint honours degree and take Events Management with a more traditional subject.
Reply 4
I third the Business Management suggestion - though make sure the modules appeal to you, and make sure it has a placement year (you could then do that year in Events). Or maybe Events Management with a foreign language? At least then you have an additional skill.

I don't know, but I think many people would only be snobbish about it if your A-Level grades are not good - then they'll assume you had no other choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending